Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse recommendations

Options
  • 04-03-2021 1:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For Christmas I got a present of a Trust 105 GXT 105 mouse which I was very happy with. It was a big improvement on anything I had used before which was usually just whatever mouse came with the desktop.

However, yesterday the left button stopped working. I opened it up and found the thing underneath the button that clicks is the problem - it's not clicking as if a return spring has given up the ghost. I emailed the company but no response so far.

So I'm wondering is that a common fault with this mouse. If not I'd be happy to get the same one again. Otherwise what would folk here recommend. I'm not a gamer - mostly browsing and Word or Excel.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Most of the reviews on Amazon seem positive for the Trust mouse. The negative ones don't mention your specific issue. Hopefully they offer you a replacement as it should still be under warranty.

Over the years I've mainly had Logitech mice. They've always been reliable and lasted many years before age or boredom made me get replacements. I've been using the G203 for over 2 years with no issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Most of the reviews on Amazon seem positive for the Trust mouse. The negative ones don't mention your specific issue. Hopefully they offer you a replacement as it should still be under warranty.

Over the years I've mainly had Logitech mice. They've always been reliable and lasted many years before age or boredom made me get replacements. I've been using the G203 for over 2 years with no issues.
    Thanks Robert - appreciate that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just an update for what it's worth.

I replaced the faulty mouse with a similar one from the same company and just recently the wheel has been acting up so I think that's the last time I'll be using their products.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say it's a case of getting what you pay for with a €15 "gaming" mouse. You would probably be better off with a basic Logitech or MS €15 mouse.

Something like this would be grand at £22.

Even Curry's would sell decent enough basic Logitech/MS/etc wireless mice for about €20.

Thanks for the reply Homelander.

It seems like I should be spending a bit more to get something reliable.

What would be the next level up from the Logitech G203 you linked to?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say the G203 is fine from a general usage and reliability point of view. It's actually a very good budget gaming mouse but for office type stuff it would be rock solid.

If you want something wireless, the G305 Lightspeed is great.

Probably overkill for a normal office setup when there are perfectly good €15 wired mice or €20 wireless mice, but either is a good choice.

Not sure I've ever had a mouse go bad to be honest - wouldn't always buy expensive mice but I've had a few Logitech's ranging from €20 to €120 and all were great, few cheaper Gigabyte and Cougar mice as well in the €20 range and also decent enough with a few years use.

The Trust mouse you mention in the OP is an awful mouse. They're sold in huge volumes as having the features of more expensive gaming mice for the same £ as a basic office mouse, but they're really cheaply made to hit that level and very prone to failure.

Because they're so cheap people tend to not return them for refunds or repair when it's more hassle than it's worth.

Advertisement