Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park Tools Hook and Pick Set

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cletus wrote: »
    I'm resurrecting this thread in the vaguest hope that somebody here has a Park Tools Wheel holder, like in the image below, and if so, that they'd be willing to post some dimensions for me

81WcjfRQdZL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I think my LBS got one when they bought a load of park tools. I'll check and see if he still has it.

On the picks, I have Teng hook and pics, was using the pick on an exhaust bracket on the motorbike last week and sent it about a CM under my thumbnail... many profanities

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I sent it about a CM under my thumbnail... many profanities

I know this pain all to well.
    Nothing like it on a cold Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

I think my LBS got one when they bought a load of park tools. I'll check and see if he still has it.

On the picks, I have Teng hook and pics, was using the pick on an exhaust bracket on the motorbike last week and sent it about a CM under my thumbnail... many profanities

God, Jimmy, if he'd be happy to let you take measurements of it, that would be great

So I did a combination of guesstimating, and looking at what actual stock sizes I had to hand, and figured it was time to push ahead with this wheel holder thing...

553989.jpg

553990.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

8valve wrote: »
    Pulling internal cables out through ridiculously small frame holes, which some frame designer has decided is big enough.

Removing the inevitable broken cable end barrels from modern shifters when some non-mechanically-sympathethic cyclist just forces the shifter to shift, instead of checking what's causing poor shifting.

Carefully removing hydraulic brake O-rings...just before you drop them on the workshop floor.

Rounding the internal opening of gear cable housing nicely.

Stabbing yourself in the hand/leg/face, when you're not watching what you're doing. Can also be used to stab work colleagues when walking past, when neither of you are watching what you're doing.

Picking blackthorns out of pram tyres.....a daily occurrence if you work in a bike shop within 10 miles of a Greenway!

Making handy pilot holes in Rubber blanking frame plugs, when adding aftermarket dropper seat-posts.

Lots of other handy jobs.

Once you add magnets to the ends of the handles, as the Park Tool picks have, you can add further to that list. They open a whole new world of adventure 'cos when you put down one pick to close to another, by the time you go to pick it up again it has literally joined forces with that other one and between the two of them they ensure that it's impossible to pick either of them up without impaling several fingers.

Then there is the carefully positioned pick in your pocket which launches itself at anything metal you might walk past, consistently sticking the pointy end in your leg in the process.

Etc. Magnets seem to make otherwise timid picks angry, or something.

• Advertisement

Got the basic shape laid out, but I think I overestimated all dimensions by about 25%

554680.jpg

554681.jpg

554682.jpg

Also, magnets finally arrived from Ali Express

554683.jpg

Wheel holder worked out great, nice and solid. Now to actually work on those wheels...

555557.jpg

Advertisement