Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people cheat?

• 04-03-2021 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

No not that kind of cheating. Not infidelity.

I mean in board games and things like that.

What's the point?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

To win. Why else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

To win. Why else.

This.

It makes it easier to win.

Everyone wants to win, and if there’s money involved, then cheating is all the more productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some people lack the skills to make them, well competent, let alone good, at certain things. They will use anything they can to get the 1 up to make themselves feel better about their sad little lives.

For bragging. They have no respect for the other players and only see themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

Allinall wrote: »
    This.

It makes it easier to win.

Everyone wants to win, and if there’s money involved, then cheating is all the more productive.

What about when there's no money or reward ? The only reward is winning ?

What about games based on luck as opposed to skill ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The define their life around winning by any means possible. Most lack the ability or skill to win on their own so they cheat.

Knew a guy who cheated constantly at golf. Was a decent player but wanted to boast he was better than he was. Right up to the point where he was playing a competition representing his club and got caught cheating.

Kicked out of the competition and was not so politely asked to leave the club.

Never saw the point of it tbh. If your only objective in life is to win without actually enjoying the experience, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Never give up on lo - uh, ludo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Some people lack the skills to make them, well competent, let alone good, at certain things. They will use anything they can to get the 1 up to make themselves feel better about their sad little lives.

Sounds like loser talk. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Ask Trump, on both types of cheating.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

This analysis only applies to some cheaters

Strangely what you see in life is that people can be successful in one particular field yet strive for acclaim in another

Not cheating ,but some actors strive to be accepted as musicians

I was following the Frank Meza case as it unfolded

Doctor who cheated at the marathon and ultimately took his life when exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

People cheat because they know everyone else is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

My instinct is that it's a feeling of inferiority. Don't get it but I also get the embarrassment of coming last in a quiz or in cards and the incentive to cheat because of that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Chawosfski wrote: »
    This analysis only applies to some cheaters

Strangely what you see in life is that people can be successful in one particular field yet strive for acclaim in another

Not cheating ,but some actors strive to be accepted as musicians

I was following the Frank Meza case as it unfolded

Doctor who cheated at the marathon and ultimately took his life when exposed.

True, that's why I said some people.. Not all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Because I may never own a hotel on Shelbourne Rd in real life so why not take from the bank to facilitate putting one there?

The banks are the real thieves here so why not play them at their own game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    True, that's why I said some people.. Not all

I didn't reply to you

My instinct is that it's a feeling of inferiority. Don't get it but I also get the embarrassment of coming last in a quiz or in cards and the incentive to cheat because of that.

Its only really embarrassing for most if you let it be tbh. Yes I know its not the case for everyone and you always get people who target others who do come last.

Some people let it get to them, honestly I couldn't give a fcuk if I come last in something. You take the losses with the wins, over the years there have been some things I'm good at and have a reasonable chance of winning, others I'm not so good at so have reasonable chance of coming last.

If I enjoy taking part in something and there's a good chance I'm going to come last, it's not going to stop me taking part as I enjoy it.

I went karting with a group from work one time, lots of big egos in the group who only invited me last minute as they were short on numbers. I won the karting as I used to kart regularly when younger but I didn't rub anyone's nose in it or even mention it after that evening.

A few weeks later the same group were going karting for someone's birthday and an email chain was circulating not to invite me as they didn't want me winning again, apparently some egos were a bit bruised as they didnt win last time :rolleyes:

I'm friendly with one of the group and they showed me the email, it was hilarious reading the replies from some of the group who are very successful in their careers, earning very decent salaries but whinging like little kids that I won last time. :D

Honestly I never got that mindset

Chawosfski wrote: »
    I didn't reply to you

Oops, been a long day. :D

My apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

People say that cheaters never win. But that's not true. They frequently do.

In the same way that bullies often prosper and the job doesn't always go to the best candidate.

Life isn't fair. There is no natural justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

We cheat at games to satisfy our longing to be superior.How shallow it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

dreamers75 wrote: »

You know someone is definitely a dick if they use how they were brought up or stress at work as their reason for cheating/hacking. No John and co., there is never a time when a cheater in an online game is not being a cnut. Save for someone holding a gun to your head telling you to cheat, there's no excuse. People like him should be banned in as many ways possible.

Advertisement