Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching council - credit shortfall for a subject.

Options
  • 04-03-2021 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

Looking for some quick advise please.

I’m doing the 2 year post primary pme with Hibernia to teach economics and maths. My Credits for economics are fine so I know i will definitely be approved by the teaching council but my maths credits are worrying me. I have 42 credits which may drop to 30 as I have two dodgy economic modules included that barely touched on maths.

I’ve been advised at the end of the PME the teaching council will register me with maths too and they might just say I need to make the credits back up, but I’m worried is this definitely true ?

I don’t want to be pay 15 thousand with Hibernia to only come out registered to teach economics as I know maths is where my career will be.

Anyone have a similar experience and got approved. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They will not register you in Maths until you fulfil the criteria. So you will need 60 credits at the correct level and covering the correct content. You can of course make up the credits in the future, but until you do your registration will only be for Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish192

Okay thank you so much

. Just to clarify then, would I be allowed to teach maths in schools in the meantime while making the credits up in the future ? I know getting a job in economics would be hard come by. if not I guess I would be best to try make the modules up while also studying the pme to ensure I can go straight into teaching maths once qualified. Thanks in advance

They will not register you in Maths until you fulfil the criteria. So you will need 60 credits at the correct level and covering the correct content. You can of course make up the credits in the future, but until you do your registration will only be for Economics.

Once you are employed it is up to the school what they ask you to teach, so yes, you could teach Maths without being registered for it. And there is a shortage of Maths teachers, particularly in the Dublin area, so that would work in your favour. But you couldn't be hired over a registered Maths teacher if the job was advertised as Maths. I would look at making up the credits for Maths asap. DIT had some good part time options in recent years and seemed to be the cheapest per module too. There is also a free course for qualified teachers to add Maths, but I hear it was oversubscribed this year and I know a good few who didn't get a place on it, so I wouldn't bank on that.

Once you are employed it is up to the school what they ask you to teach, so yes, you could teach Maths without being registered for it. And there is a shortage of Maths teachers, particularly in the Dublin area, so that would work in your favour. But you couldn't be hired over a registered Maths teacher if the job was advertised as Maths. I would look at making up the credits for Maths asap. DIT had some good part time options in recent years and seemed to be the cheapest per module too. There is also a free course for qualified teachers to add Maths, but I hear it was oversubscribed this year and I know a good few who didn't get a place on it, so I wouldn't bank on that.

Okay perfect. I’ll look into the modules in DIT. Thanks for the replies.

The information that the Teaching council provide don’t make it easy to find an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Irish192 wrote: »
    Okay perfect. I’ll look into the modules in DIT. Thanks for the replies.

The information that the Teaching council provide don’t make it easy to find an answer.

Have you spoken to anyone in the teaching council?

A few posters here and in VFT said the Teaching Council won't assess your course until you've the PME completed! But if your degree is on their list then your all good.
    It's the modules though that are the picky point.

I'm open to correction but if you do the maths on the PME you'll get the teaching practice/pedagogy tutorials part of the qualification. Then you could do the add-on maths modules in your own time.
    That's a lot easier than trying to get teaching practice/pedagogy tutorials for maths, while you are looking for a job or in a school subbing, to my knowledge the PME courses won't let you come in and just sit those modules.

If you have the time and you definitely want to teach maths then frontload the pain and do the PME + Extra Modules now.

How do you know what modules you have to do?

Treppen wrote: »
    Have you spoken to anyone in the teaching council?

A few posters here and in VFT said the Teaching Council won't assess your course until you've the PME completed! But if your degree is on their list then your all good.
    It's the modules though that are the picky point.

I'm open to correction but if you do the maths on the PME you'll get the teaching practice/pedagogy tutorials part of the qualification. Then you could do the add-on maths modules in your own time.
    That's a lot easier than trying to get teaching practice/pedagogy tutorials for maths, while you are looking for a job or in a school subbing, to my knowledge the PME courses won't let you come in and just sit those modules.

If you have the time and you definitely want to teach maths then frontload the pain and do the PME + Extra Modules now.

How do you know what modules you have to do?

I’ve been trying to contact the teaching council all day but no luck so far

So yeah your right, I think what I’m going to do is make up for maths modules in September if a college will take me while also studying for the pme. RRegarding what modules I need to take I’m just going by the subject deceleration form and looking at what colleges have to offer. . But I need to check with Hibernia can I alter my SDF once I’m already enrolled so may have to wait till next year to start the pme which would be annoying. Only found out today they don’t send SDF forms to the TC with less than 50 credits so I need to make them up now as I only have 42

Does anyone have much knowledge on the TC registration with conditions ?

Registration with conditions generally applies in two scenarios. One, where somebody registers under route 3 Further Education with no teaching qualification and has 3 years to complete a teaching qualification. Or secondly, for somebody recognised as a qualified teacher in another country (EU anyway, not sure about UK now or elsewhere) but who does not fulfil the requirements for registration in Ireland, so under international agreement (for the EU at least) they are registered and given a time frame to address any shortfalls. This usually occurs where their teaching qualification does not have enough credits (most countries do 60 but the PME here is 120), or they have a subject content shortfall for post primary, or they don't have Irish language or Irish language teaching covered for primary.

Registration with conditions does not apply to people who just don't have enough subject credits. They just won't register you for that subject at all.

Definitely do the Maths pedagogy module in the PME regardless of whether you have the Maths credits done. This is the most difficult one to make up later.

Advertisement