Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How unhealthy is my non-alco habit?

Options
  • 04-03-2021 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Recently switched from drinking bottles of becks non-alcoholic, low-sugar to cans of Weiss beer non-alco with 13.5grams of sugar per can.

According to the ingredients there seems to be no added sugar eg. fructose, sucrose.

Thing is though, I'm drinking up to 10 cans a day. I've just gotten used to hydrating with them.

Came across an article on the dangers of too much sugar in your diet. Kinda freaking me out.

Dont want to go back to becks. But dont want to get diabetes or heart disease either.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Recently switched from drinking bottles of becks non-alcoholic, low-sugar to cans of Weiss beer non-alco with 13.5grams of sugar per can.

According to the ingredients there seems to be no added sugar eg. fructose, sucrose.

Thing is though, I'm drinking up to 10 cans a day. I've just gotten used to hydrating with them.

Came across an article on the dangers of too much sugar in your diet. Kinda freaking me out.

Dont want to go back to becks. But dont want to get diabetes or heart disease either.

Any advice?

Quite simply Switch to water either sparkling or non sparkling. Tap is fine.

I mentioned sparkling as I know some ppl who have been habituated to carbonated drinks prefer it.

I did this and it’s the best thing I’ve done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

You're taking in roughly 3-4x the recommended daily amount of sugar for a man, so I think you'd be better starting to substitute as many of those as you can for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Thanks guys.

On the advice of this thread combined with a WebMD article. I've switched from non-alcos to sparkling water and decaf.

The medical prognosis for people who get more than 10% of their daily calories through sugar reads like the prognosis for heavy smokers it appears.

Heart disease, premature aging, skin problems, weight gain, probably some forms of cancer and the icing on the cake ... diabetes.

You dont mess around when it comes to diabetes and excess sugar intake is the leading cause.

I'll have 2/3 cans or bottles of non-alco on a sat/sun night after work probably. But cut it out completely apart from that.

I dont even care that it's isotonic anymore. I probably should have twiged something was amiss after I gave up booze and switched to non-alcos. Putting on weight in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

On the advice of this thread combined with a WebMD article. I've switched from non-alcos to sparkling water and decaf.

The medical prognosis for people who get more than 10% of their daily calories through sugar reads like the prognosis for heavy smokers it appears.

Heart disease, premature aging, skin problems, weight gain, probably some forms of cancer and the icing on the cake ... diabetes.

You dont mess around when it comes to diabetes and excess sugar intake is the leading cause.

I'll have 2/3 cans or bottles of non-alco on a sat/sun night after work probably. But cut it out completely apart from that.

I dont even care that it's isotonic anymore. I probably should have twiged something was amiss after I gave up booze and switched to non-alcos. Putting on weight in the process.

On second thoughts. I'll probably skip the whole non-alco scene altogether. 2/3 on a sat night was how this all started.

My new crutch is Monster drinks.

See other thread in this forum entitled "Monster drink cans - safe or not safe".

Thanks

Advertisement