Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Tsunami warning - People Told to Evacuate Immediately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

My brother in the southwest of the North Island was woken up by an earlier quake. The house shook for about a minute. His mother in law lives along the coast up near Bay of Plenty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Will this be a serious tsunami?

Will this be a serious tsunami?

0.3 to 1 metre in coasts except for some islands, so I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What I have seen so far suggests a wave between 10cm and 1m, so hopefully it won't be very bad. The 2011 tsunami in Japan seems to have had 3 - 8.5m waves causing the worst of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami#/media/File:Tsunami_map_Tohoku2011.svg

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    What I have seen so far suggests a wave between 10cm and 1m, so hopefully it won't be very bad. The 2011 tsunami in Japan seems to have had 3 - 8.5m waves causing the worst of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami#/media/File:Tsunami_map_Tohoku2011.svg

The ten year anniversary of that M9.1 (!) event will be next week.
    I remember the helicopter footage coming in live, watching cars and buildings being inundated and moved across the flat land :(

I saved some of the videos because it's amazing how stuff like that can just seemingly disappear from the internet.

I saved some of the videos because it's amazing how stuff like that can just seemingly disappear from the internet.

Yeah, I couldn't find that live helicopter footage either.
    I can really have a dark fascination with some of this stuff :/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d heard about the first quake but not the second and third. Hopefully it passes and isn’t serious. I saw footage in a documentary of the Christmas Day and Japanese tsunamis recently and the utter power of water is still breathtaking all these years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The earthquake in the same area last week was an aftershock of the 2011 earthquake according to the eggheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hope it's not serious enough to cost lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 james1976

Please god its not too serious.��

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was in south east asia in 2005 and the level of destruction in coastal areas was breath taking.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’d heard about the first quake but not the second and third. Hopefully it passes and isn’t serious. I saw footage in a documentary of the Christmas Day and Japanese tsunamis recently and the utter power of water is still breathtaking all these years later.

Water is so powerful in many ways. It's so heavy.

This was one of the craziest footage I have seen from Japan 2011.
    I think it maybe Sendai, that harbour town?

But the way that the land funnels in the energy of the water, straight into the town...
    I wonder how would Cork fare, if ever that mountain in the Canary Islands did its thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tsunami warnings removed for Hawaii and US continental coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A series of 1 metre waves in deep sea can turn in to a relentless animal when it hits shallower water. Hopefully it will only be flooding.

Tsunami warnings removed for Hawaii and US continental coasts

They are still in effect for NZ:
    Live: Aucklanders told to keep out of the water, tsunami waves expected for 'several hours' GNS advises in Government briefing
    11:57, Mar 05 2021
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300245006/live-aucklanders-told-to-keep-out-of-the-water-tsunami-waves-expected-for-several-hours-gns-advises-in-government-briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The ten year anniversary of that M9.1 (!) event will be next week.
    I remember the helicopter footage coming in live, watching cars and buildings being inundated and moved across the flat land :(

It was mental stuff.
    I was in Japan at the time,I was in Okinawa far to the south,the Okinawans are a hardy island bunch but when the pictures came through everybody hit for the hills.I was down on the coast having lunch watching it on the telly,the restaurant owner said this is serious and get to high ground.I got in the car and made it a few km inland and above sea level but was stuck in traffic then.I thought about abandoning the car and going further inland but nobody else seemed to be doing that so i stayed in the car and trundled along in traffic.
    I got back to my apartment shortly after and was watching the clips youre talking about, crazy stuff.The Tsumai was making its way south at this stage and although it was losing power the locals were still spooked (I've spent a lot if time in Okinawa and you just don't see this) The tsunami hit that evening but the sea wall mostly did its job,power was knocked out for the night but that was it.
    About 2 months later I was working up north of where those terrifying clips came from,I was chatting to a few lads who had volunteered for going through rubble looking for survivors/bodies,guys breaking down in tears,a shocking event.I don't think there's a natural disaster as scary or as devastating as a big tsunami .

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Just got the emergency alert here in Auckland, apparently expecting waves up to 3 metres high
    Felt the quake last night, weird feeling

edit: you can see the map here https://www.civildefence.govt.nz/
    plus there are a few livestreams of beaches
    https://whk-bar.click2stream.com/?fbclid=IwAR2G0tROoqsbPXJGFzdsH7Jg09uEAfNyubBNWfW1Pl5vl7km6jcIFcH1VXA
    https://www.scissorlifttauranga.nz/surf-cam/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIZ6aRq228

HBC08 wrote: »
    It was mental stuff.
    I was in Japan at the time,I was in Okinawa far to the south,the Okinawans are a hardy island bunch but when the pictures came through everybody hit for the hills.I was down on the coast having lunch watching it on the telly,the restaurant owner said this is serious and get to high ground.I got in the car and made it a few km inland and above sea level but was stuck in traffic then.I thought about abandoning the car and going further inland but nobody else seemed to be doing that so i stayed in the car and trundled along in traffic.
    I got back to my apartment shortly after and was watching the clips youre talking about, crazy stuff.The Tsumai was making its way south at this stage and although it was losing power the locals were still spooked (I've spent a lot if time in Okinawa and you just don't see this) The tsunami hit that evening but the sea wall mostly did its job,power was knocked out for the night but that was it.
    About 2 months later I was working up north of where those terrifying clips came from,I was chatting to a few lads who had volunteered for going through rubble looking for survivors/bodies,guys breaking down in tears,a shocking event.I don't think there's a natural disaster as scary or as devastating as a big tsunami .

Wow. Holy carp.
    Thank you for that story.
    Terrifying :/

• Advertisement

Water is so powerful in many ways. It's so heavy.
    Can feel silly saying it but I always point out a cubic metre of water literally weighs a ton.
    This was one of the craziest footage I have seen from Japan 2011.
    I think it maybe Sendai, that harbour town?

But the way that the land funnels in the energy of the water, straight into the town...
    I wonder how would Cork fare, if ever that mountain in the Canary Islands did its thing :/

It's the relentlessness that always gets me. I remember for the Indian Ocean tsunami most of the dramatic footage was a large wave hitting then the rest of the water following behind. It just keeps coming and coming. Horrific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

james1976 wrote: »
    Please god its not too serious.��

Did your god not make it happen in the first place?

You're just all kinds of garbage huh?
    And I'm atheist.

Can feel silly saying it but I always point out a cubic metre of water literally weighs a ton.

It's the relentlessness that always gets me. I remember for the Indian Ocean tsunami most of the dramatic footage was a large wave hitting then the rest of the water following behind. It just keeps coming and coming. Horrific stuff.

The first waves can be dramatic on video footage, yeah, because it crests so high.
    The real damage though is the following relentless weight of the rising water which carries with its force all the debris :(

Tsunamis are a terrifying force of nature.
    I'm so glad we live on a safe Atlantic island.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Till a meteorite hits it

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

The first waves can be dramatic on video footage, yeah, because it crests so high.

Might not be so safe if the side of one of the canaries falls into the sea

There is evidence Ireland was hit by a tsunami after the Lisbon earthquake in the 1700’s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

contend wrote: »
    You're just all kinds of garbage huh?
    And I'm atheist.

Card each. Not relevant to the topic at all and rising to the bait

Let's move on please, on topic

Ya trying to jinx it!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Might not be so safe if the side of one of the canaries falls into the sea

There is evidence Ireland was hit by a tsunami after the Lisbon earthquake in the 1700’s

I think that theory has been fairly well debunked at this stage. Scientific thought is that La Palma will collapse in a number of stages with none of them likely to generate significant Tsunami's.

Advertisement