Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog will not climb stairs anymore

• 05-03-2021 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

We have a miniature schnauzer who is 5 years old. She is a bit of an edjit but we love her all the same. Recently she has decided to stop climbing the stairs and will wait at the bottom for us to carry her up at night.
    She does not appear to be in pain and can run like a stag when we take her out for a walk on the extendable lead.
    We don't know is this just another quirk or something more serious. We took her to the vet a few months ago as she had a bit of a limp but they said she was fine. That cost €260 for xrays etc so not keen to do it all again for another diagnosis of she's fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

We have a miniature schnauzer who is 5 years old. She is a bit of an edjit but we love her all the same. Recently she has decided to stop climbing the stairs and will wait at the bottom for us to carry her up at night.
    She does not appear to be in pain and can run like a stag when we take her out for a walk on the extendable lead.
    We don't know is this just another quirk or something more serious. We took her to the vet a few months ago as she had a bit of a limp but they said she was fine. That cost €260 for xrays etc so not keen to do it all again for another diagnosis of she's fine.

My lab sometimes has a bit of a limp after exercise, shoulder injury from a few years ago playing with the dog next door. Some days she can't jump up, has to be lifted. Two days later she's doing zoomies in fields. Vet said it's like me getting a reoccurrence of an injury, flairs for a day, goes back down. Completely natural, but just rest it.

Can't say it's the same as your dog but if it comes and goes it sounds like an old injury flairing. Thank your blessing it's not a 40kg lab :D

Think of the height ratio too for your mini v the stairs, that's no mean feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I would just pick her up and carry her, she's probably not playing psychological games with you, as dogs don't tend to go in for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Dogs do not play mind games .. and they are also excellent at hiding pain ..

It sounds like joint issues and could possibly be hip dysplasia ..

You mention xrays - what way was she limping at the time?

did your vet X-ray front / shoulders or hind leg / hip region?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    and could possibly be hip dysplasia ..

:confused::confused: Where are you getting that from? If I had a euro for everyone who told me Bailey has HD because he's a retriever I'd be rich off the back of their unhelpful advice - his hips are great.

OP you're at an advantage to me - she's small so I'd just pick her up? I wouldn't use what she's doing outside as a guide either - when they're out and about their adrenaline kicks in and they can easily over do things. If she's reluctant to do something then it's an indication of pain and it should be followed up with your vet. The same way I'd assume if you could no longer walk up the stairs you'd get checked out?

You could try food motivated behaviour especially before feeding time just to see if the dog responds-if she does go up a few steps you can observe her and see if there’s any particular sign of pain or discomfort.
    Also, how is she out and about? Steps up to house? Kerbs? If you don’t have either take her to somewhere there’s steps and see how she goes.
    Did her food change recently? Are there general signs of sluggishness?

Probably need to develop a few fact based observations before attending the vet especially if another x ray finds nothing- you know yourself, you could be over/back a few times trying all sorts until the cause is found - but do go to the vet if it doesn’t improve.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    :confused::confused: Where are you getting that from? If I had a euro for everyone who told me Bailey has HD because he's a retriever I'd be rich off the back of their unhelpful advice - his hips are great.

OP you're at an advantage to me - she's small so I'd just pick her up? I wouldn't use what she's doing outside as a guide either - when they're out and about their adrenaline kicks in and they can easily over do things. If she's reluctant to do something then it's an indication of pain and it should be followed up with your vet. The same way I'd assume if you could no longer walk up the stairs you'd get checked out?

A dogs reluctance to go up the stairs ‘can’ be a sign of hip issues .. if the dog is used to stairs and has used stairs in the past .. that’s a fact (as well as bunny hopping, limping, slow to rise etc).. I did say joint issues or ‘possiblly’ HD.. it’s a consideration.

https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co.uk/orthopaedic/hip-dysplasia/

And as an owner who had a dog with hip dysplasia who was diagnosed at 8 it was an indication ..

Anyway OP I’d speak to your vet and query the X-rays .. if they were of the dogs hind region they would have seen Hip dysplasia.. if the X-rays were of her front legs .. then it doesn’t rule out hip issues.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I took her to the groomers on Friday and she ran up the steps without hesitation. She went up stairs here about an hour ago and had done that a few times since I last posted.
    Still refuses to go up at night, even tried her with treats.

I took her to the groomers on Friday and she ran up the steps without hesitation. She went up stairs here about an hour ago and had done that a few times since I last posted.
    Still refuses to go up at night, even tried her with treats.

What about letting her sleep downstairs for a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

cocker5 wrote: »
    What about letting her sleep downstairs for a change?
    We don't force her upstairs. She stands at the bottom step until I go down and get her. If I leave her in the sitting room she will scratch at the door to get out.

Advertisement