Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do movie characters never dispose of their cigarettes properly?

• 05-03-2021 1:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

Directors always make a huge point of showing the actor as being cool because he throws his cigarette on the ground. Would it be so hard to show the actor put it in that cigarette thing while he delivers his line? Or would people get up and leave. For example, Chief Brody in Jaws. Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone repeatedly do it in Basic Instinct.

I remember seeing a few shots of the teenagers smoking in 'Normal People'. I didn't wait to see them throw their fags on the grown, but I'm almost certain that they did. Out of all the ways a film director can portray a character as being cool, the only one they can think of is to show him throw his cigarette butt on the ground!

As we know, live mirrors art. So that's half the reason we see all these cigarette butts on our streets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d be more concerned with the level of smoking in film, and TV, these days. And I’m not talking about shows set far in the past.

Would be very surprise if there weren’t payments being made or this being “finance dependent”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They never lock their cars or pay for stuff either.
    Damn fictional characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

Would be very surprise if there weren’t payments being made or this being “finance dependent”.
    I'm sorry I don't follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You half answered your own question: because it's cool.

The other answer is because a cigarette itself is a prop in acting. Say you have, I dunno, some detective who is stressed over solving a case in a scene. You use smokes to convey that to the audience. He isn't going to suddenly stand up and say "I have to dispose of this cigarette in a responsible, eco friendly way" :p

No.. he throws it on the ground.
    Sometimes you see a character filling up an ashtray but is often used to show case a person who is nervous. All tropes. At the end of the day they are only movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

put it out on someone's eyeball like Don Logan... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

They never sneeze for no reason either.

Conspiracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Conspiracy?

or Eat or go for a number two or have to look for parking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Not even if when tickled on the nose with a yellow feather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

And no one on tv or in movies ever charges their phones.
    EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

or Eat or go for a number two or have to look for parking!

Vincent Vega - played by John Travolta - in 'Pulp Fiction'.

• Advertisement

Conspiracy?

Woody Allen in 'Annie Hall'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

No.. he throws it on the ground.
    Sometimes you see a character filling up an ashtray but is often used to show case a person who is nervous. All tropes. At the end of the day they are only movies.

Or like Wendy in the doctor scene in The Shining where she doesn't flick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I’d be far concerned about the number of toerags in Ireland who do this.

WWMMD?

(What Would Marlboro Man Do)

EDIT: Rated thread Average since posted in AH

At least you did'nt post thread in Entertainment Films for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I’d be more concerned with the level of smoking in film, and TV, these days. And I’m not talking about shows set far in the past.

Actually, I have been thinking the opposite, very little smoking these days. In fact I'm currently watching Behind her Eyes and was very surprised to see a lead character smoke, and a fair bit too.

And no one on tv or in movies ever charges their phones.
    EVER.

HAHA I hear the plot for Taken 4 is that someone kidnaps Liam's iPhone charger ... and he has to use his specific skills before the battery runs out - it's at 80% when he gets the call....

My pet hate is they never close down their laptops, just close the lid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

Sandy in Grease disposes of it correctly. She stubs it out with her red high heel and then uses the same shoe to push Danny over.

Summer sun, something's begun
    But, oh, oh, the summer nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

cfb08b80fe1450105a5dd1e4d54586ee.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Smoking is one the coolest things a person can do in their life. It’s up there with having one night stands on a daily basis, snorting Coke, taking shrooms and listening to punk/rock/metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm baffled as to why this is actually a thread

Ah. Sorry, just saw who the OP is. Now things make sense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stephanie33

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They never finish their "beer" or food either.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

In a similar vein, in old American movies when a car driver has his head turned talking to a passenger instead of concentrating on the road (taken from the movie Amélie).

Advertisement