Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pipe wire on facia

• 05-03-2021 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone help with how I get this removed please? It’s connected to a small junction box on the facia and is tacked on the soffit and runs across to next doors facia. We don’t have any cable tv subscription. We are an end of terrace house. I need to replace the old timber facia and soffit with pvc stuff. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

You may need to talk to the cable TV provider in the area. I don't think that it is yours to touch/remove but I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Find out who owns it. Ask them to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

wait4me wrote: »
    You may need to talk to the cable TV provider in the area. I don't think that it is yours to touch/remove but I could be wrong!

I presume they deal with this kind of thing a lot, would it be virgin I contact?

Effects wrote: »
    Find out who owns it. Ask them to remove it.

I think the only cable tv provider is virgin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

wait4me wrote: »

It's attached to the OPs property cut it off if you have no use for it although your neighbours may lose their signal. If they want to reinstate it they'll have to agree to your terms.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's attached to the OPs property cut it off if you have no use for it although your neighbours may lose their signal. If they want to reinstate it they'll have to agree to your terms.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before that they have permission to leave their cables there for ever if any previous homeowner signed up to a subscription as it’s in the fine print in the terms and conditions. Not sure how they can actually enforce that though, I’ve asked the immediate neighbours on either side and neither receive any cable tv but I’m sure someone on the road is connected to the cable that’s attached to my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

My father changed his facia and soffits a few years ago, he contacted VM and they told told him to unclip the cable which he did. They were to call and put it back in place but they never did, we just tacked it back up ourselves.

Why would anyone do that? Just unclip the cable, do the required work and clip it back up.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why would anyone do that? Just unclip the cable, do the required work and clip it back up.

Yeah I'll not bite, I've seen your trolling on the motors forum :rolleyes:

Yeah I'll not bite, I've seen your trolling on the motors forum :rolleyes:

I won't either I reported your post.

• Advertisement

I won't either I reported your post.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shocking advice.

I wouldnt like to have you as a neighbour.

It’s a fairly thick black cable so would involve tacking it all along the new white pvc soffit. Has to be an alternative to that? I’ll try get a pic of it in the morning

muffler wrote: »
    Shocking advice.

I wouldnt like to have you as a neighbour.

You're very easily shocked. I'm not suggesting OP cuts off your air supply ffs. The OP may not want a cable clipped along newly paid for fascia so he's perfectly entitled to remove it from his property.

OP another alternative is to have your contractor run the cable under your new fascia. The sensitive souls can rest easy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

When I bought the house I now live in (many years ago), it was explained to me that I was bound by the conditions attaching to any cables crossing my property.

In other words, I couldn't arbitrarily revoke the rights granted by the previous owner.

I would NEVER consider cutting the cable, as its also a broadband cable serving the rest of the road. I don't use any services on it.

Last year, I cut all the cable ties letting the cable droop down the wall, to allow me to paint right up to the (plastic) soffit, then I put self adhesive cable ties on the bottom of the soffit and clipped the cable back up.

Is that Ronnie Pickerman?

Is that Ronnie Pickerman?

Nice try but not really funny in this instance :p

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    It’s a fairly thick black cable so would involve tacking it all along the new white pvc soffit. Has to be an alternative to that? I’ll try get a pic of it in the morning

When VM rewired the place as part of the modernisation to carry their full range of services they put the cable into a white plastic box section that they attached to the soffit, you'd never know the cable was there at all. It looks similar to conduit you'd buy in electrical stores.
    Nicknicklby is right, my father's house has since been sold and the wayleave he granted VM back in the 70's must still be honoured by the new owner.

When VM rewired the place as part of the modernisation to carry their full range of services they put the cable into a white plastic box section that they attached to the soffit, you'd never know the cable was there at all. It looks similar to conduit you'd buy in electrical stores.

Ha! you obviously live on the southside:pac::pac::pac:

They renewed the cable on my house and left it looking like a big thick clothes line with a clip here and there . Looks better now than the job they did on it. I considered trunking, but it wouldn't fit right up to the neighbours external insulation, so I had to live with it being nice and straight but black against magnolia wall and white soffit. If you didn't look up, you'd never know it was there :D.

aside.... my neighbour had external insulation applied, and they completely covered the VM box on the wall. They won't be happy, when it has to be excavated in the future.

Crikey this sounds like it’s going to be a nightmare! What would they do if I damaged the cable while trying to remove it? Am I liable for stuff like that? Seems weird that some company can leave something on your property and your responsible for it even though you don’t use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why would you cut it off without knowing the implications of said action?

Crikey this sounds like it’s going to be a nightmare! What would they do if I damaged the cable while trying to remove it? Am I liable for stuff like that? Seems weird that some company can leave something on your property and your responsible for it even though you don’t use it!

Try to console yourself, by thinking "greater good"..:)

Who's doing the soffits? Just tell them to remove the cable clips, and replace them afterwards. Or contact VM and ask them to come out, but be careful not to land yourself with an unexpected bill. Maybe stop one of the vans on the road and ask for some pointers - I know, that's a long shot.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be simple enough in the end. Good luck.

Esb and Eir have been doing it since they were founded. Siro and open eir are running overhead fibre along properties too. I'm sure the lads doing the facia for you have seen this many times before. Using the white box section you'd never know the cable was there. When Dad's was re-cabled they went up the facia to the apex on the gable end, down the other side across the facia at the rear of the house, down beside the downpipe for the gutter and then underground into the estate beside him. I had to walk around the house a few times to see where the cable went the job was so neat.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer, I’m replacing the facia and soffit myself which is why I’m a bit freaked about removing the cable from the old timber soffit, it’s attached by a load of heavy duty clips that are nailed into the timber, they also have a big metal eye hook attached to the gable wall which feeds the cable across to the neighbours, the cable is probably 3 or 4 times thicker than the standard pipe wire that would go into the back of the tv

I painted the house around 3 years ago and just painted over all the existing cables but there are dirty stains running off them now and it’s going to be impossible to tidy up properly unless the cable is shifted out of its existing position either temporarily or permanently

How would the cable tv provider manage if a house in the middle of a terrace never agreed to let them run cables across their house?

How would the cable tv provider manage if a house in the middle of a terrace never agreed to let them run cables across their house?

They put a pole outside or across the road from the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Usual approach is to leave the rest of the road unserved and let everyone know why. Refusals often fade away after that.

Most areas have underground cable TV just like phone/power these days, though.

For extant cabling - in some areas, the paperwork inherited from old providers is so chaotic they cannot prove wayleave exists - but in most urban areas they can. I would not recommend hoping you're in a chaos area... so get in contact with them about moving it off the existing boards if required. The mount for the the cable to the next block is not going to be moved easily though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

My father in law cut the cable running across the front of his house serving properties along a terrace, I'm sure war broke out with the neighbours but eir came back and buried it in the footpath to get past his house, would not recommend this approach anyway but you can be sure that they deal with all sorts.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Usual approach is to leave the rest of the road unserved and let everyone know why. Refusals often fade away after that.

Most areas have underground cable TV just like phone/power these days, though.

For extant cabling - in some areas, the paperwork inherited from old providers is so chaotic they cannot prove wayleave exists - but in most urban areas they can. I would not recommend hoping you're in a chaos area... so get in contact with them about moving it off the existing boards if required. The mount for the the cable to the next block is not going to be moved easily though.

That isn't what happened here in Enniscorthy, as the cable was at the very start of the system they put a pole up across the road from this person's house. The cable ran along the facia, came to this guy's house, crossed over to the pole and back again to his neighbour and carried on. This was back in the nineties, the cable still takes that route and your man has long since left the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The OP may not want a cable clipped along newly paid for fascia so he's perfectly entitled to remove it from his property.

If the cable owner has permission to have it there then he's not entitled to at all.
    This internet bravado is really weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Mellor wrote: »
    If the cable owner has permission to have it there then he's not entitled to at all.
    This internet bravado is really weird

I wonder are people as daft in the "real world".
    Dont answer that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

iwillhtfu and CoBo55, keep your handbags under the table please, unless you have constructive comment on the issue, stay out of the thread.

Thanks for all the comments folks, I’m thinking hiding the cable in white trunking might be the best option if they have permission for it to be there. Hopefully there is a bit of slack in the cable so I can work around it

Advertisement