Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any downside to additional connection options on the bms? I presume not?

The Daly seems to offer all options, canbus, rs485, Bluetooth etc.

547709.jpg

Obviously Can is the one I want, to hopefully be able to connect smoothly with the Solis. But no harm in adding the rest, very little additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭championc

I finally got clarification from HEYO - you MUST get Canbus / RS485 at the time of order. Something is added at production. So it's not just an interface thing - it needs something internal too

championc wrote: »
    I finally got clarification from HEYO - you MUST get Canbus / RS485 at the time of order. Something is added at production. So it's not just an interface thing - it needs something internal too

That's a pain. Is there any market for them second hand? As in you could buy a replacement and then flog the old one?

Just want to clarify before I put in the order.

The battery pack is:
    2 x 16PCS CALB 3.2v 200Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery brand new 200AH 24V 48V 200AH Lithium iron Phosphate Packs which will be connected 16s2p making each cell 400a.

And the BMS spec should be:
    * 16s
    * 48v
    * 100a
    * Can
    * Bluetooth
    * RS485

Really difficult to communicate with these guys without things getting lost in translation. Plus of course I'm very much an amateur.

The Heyo people tell me that I can purchase the Can connection cable at the same time as the BMS only, as already discovered by championc.

However this is a USB to CAN cable, which seems to be for connecting the BMS to a PC.

They say to connect to the inverter there needs to be a protocol match but they can't give me much information beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Really difficult to communicate with these guys without things getting lost in translation. Plus of course I'm very much an amateur.

The Heyo people tell me that I can purchase the Can connection cable at the same time as the BMS only, as already discovered by championc.

However this is a USB to CAN cable, which seems to be for connecting the BMS to a PC.

They say to connect to the inverter there needs to be a protocol match but they can't give me much information beyond that.

That sounds strange. The protocol, say RS485, will handle the actual hardware communications, but the inverter needs to know which registers to read, what type of register (Read, Read/Write etc) each set is, what the type of data is in it (IEEE, Integer etc) and then it has to know what those registers mean actually mean.

Never used CANbus but assuming it's something like Fieldbus and then you would have similar as before - very least there needs to be definition to each AI block.

I'm not sure how it can work that the BMS can share information with the inverter unless the inverter has a 'translation' table built in for the BMS? Unless of course there is a standard table but with the relative infancy of this market I somehow doubt that exists?

To be honest if the inverter is happy to estimate the state of charge based on the custom battery parameters entered, I'll live with that.

Figuring out a canbus connection with a Chinese dude is making me lose the will to live. One of the stores just said that to get a protocol match would cost $3k lol.

To be honest if the inverter is happy to estimate the state of charge based on the custom battery parameters entered, I'll live with that.

Figuring out a canbus connection with a Chinese dude is making me lose the will to live. One of the stores just said that to get a protocol match would cost $3k lol.

I know your pain, some of my company tech is Chinese design and trying to get information from the the guys is excruciating at times due to language / cultural issues.

For the Solis, we have the Modbus register details, I wonder is it possible to match it to the BMS? Anyone any idea if the BMS Modbus map is available?

Just spoke to someone online who said that they weren't able to connect their battery to the Solis at all. I think they must have a different version or model to me though.

They only had 2 approved choices for battery. My inverter offers 4 I think, and also a "user defined" option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just spoke to someone online who said that they weren't able to connect their battery to the Solis at all. I think they must have a different version or model to me though.

They only had 2 approved choices for battery. My inverter offers 4 I think, and also a "user defined" option.

Or an older firmware.

But as long as you have the user defined you can make it work.

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    I know your pain, some of my company tech is Chinese design and trying to get information from the the guys is excruciating at times due to language / cultural issues.

For the Solis, we have the Modbus register details, I wonder is it possible to match it to the BMS? Anyone any idea if the BMS Modbus map is available?

or even emulate the Pylontech bms! beyond my pay grade though

graememk wrote: »
    Or an older firmware.

But as long as you have the user defined you can make it work.

Hmm, finding a few people saying the same. That the Solis hybrid inverter won't work with LiFePo4.

547913.jpg

(I think he means commS link)

Could always fall back to the other plan, swap the hybrid with a standard inverter and add a Sofar.

More cost and hassle though.

Hmm, finding a few people saying the same. That the Solis hybrid inverter won't work with LiFePo4.

547913.jpg

(I think he means commS link)

Could always fall back to the other plan, swap the hybrid with a standard inverter and add a Sofar.

More cost and hassle though.

I thought the solis was able to use lead acid? They have no communication.

I thought the solis was able to use lead acid? They have no communication.

What do you mean 'no communication'? My Solis hybrid uses a Canbus link to talk to the Puredrive battery / BMS. It also has a user defined setting that would allow it (one assumes) to go without any link.

What do you mean 'no communication'? My Solis hybrid uses a Canbus link to talk to the Puredrive battery / BMS. It also has a user defined setting that would allow it (one assumes) to go without any link.

That's what I mean, no link.

I don't even have a full bms, just a balancer.using the inverter as the rest of the bms with the voltage limits

That's what I mean, no link.

I don't even have a full bms, just a balancer.using the inverter as the rest of the bms with the voltage limits

Gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭championc

Hmm, finding a few people saying the same. That the Solis hybrid inverter won't work with LiFePO4's

I think you are listening to the wrong people. There is no link if Lead-Acid's were used, and the Default setting is specifically for Lead-Acid's.

Check as to what parameters can be configured in Default Mode, and especially what is the max charging voltage - at least 58.5v ?

The voltage ranges available will dictate whether you go 15s or 16s

If you had gone the Leaf Battery route, you would still have never connected that setups BMS to the Solis. You would be putting in voltage limits for various things, as you will do for the LiFePO4's

Yup, I was listening to people who were trying to customise the LiFePo4 via "user defined".

Solis uk support are very hands off, they just said that unsupported batteries are just that unsupported. Wouldn't entertain any further questions at all.

Whereas my new buddy in the Philippines Solis support was much more helpful and said the same thing you guys just did.

547938.jpg

championc wrote: »
    Check as to what parameters can be configured in Default Mode, and especially what is the max charging voltage - at least 58.5v ?

I'll go into the attic tonight and check it out, unless I can find a menu screen online today.

So Mark the Solis guy says there are 2 options currently.

1 - connect as Lead Acid, no BMS connection. Inverter will estimate the SOC based on battery parameters. Charge rates etc are set on the inverter, BMS manages the various protections and monitoring.

2 - connect as PylonTech, connect CAN from BMS to inverter and it should (hopefully) connect properly. He says it only needs 3 pins on the RJ45.

However what benefits does option 2 actually bring? A more accurate SOC reading?

He also says that he will speak to Solis HQ again about adding Daly as an approved BMS. Although even if that does happen I'd imagine it would be a long time before it's implemented and available.

I'm inclined to go with Option 1 for now. Forget about canbus connection to the inverter, and just add them under the Lead Acid setting and configure from there.

I'm just waiting to see what the availability is for the Overkill BMS in that case. Out of stock currently, more due in this week but if there's a lot on backorder I might be out of luck.

A little more expensive but very highly rated. Plus English manuals and support. Cost about €155 compared to around €100 for the Daly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We're all in the same predicament with our Sofar ME3000SP. Technically it should work with other Lithium options such as Pylontech (provided of course you use a 15S configuration like Pylontech) but none of us have successfully got any of them to work, so we all use the DEFAULT setting (as used for Lead Acid)

Some pictures from the setup as it stands now.

[IMG][/img][IMG][/img]

547988.jpg

547989.jpg

I did go into the battery timed charging menu page and it didn't seemed to run from 0-100a. I thought the max for this inverter was 62.5a?

I did go into the battery timed charging menu page and it didn't seemed to run from 0-100a. I thought the max for this inverter was 62.5a?

Time to dig out your manual! If it can go more, Great :D

From the datasheet on midsummer:

Max charge is 3000w and max discharge is 62.5amp. 62.5*~48v=3000watts.

But I've observed my own one charging at 3.2kw and discharging at 3.4kw - make of that what you will!

From the datasheet on midsummer:

Max charge is 3000w and max discharge is 62.5amp. 62.5*~48v=3000watts.

But I've observed my own one charging at 3.2kw and discharging at 3.4kw - make of that what you will!

Yep, Seen that, I have heard (from a solar installer) that there is new ones that can handle 5kw, but haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

Yep, Seen that, I have heard (from a solar installer) that there is new ones that can handle 5kw, but haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

I got fed that line too - but I've deliberately tried to discharge my battery by turning on high load (6.4kw) and it maxed out the battery at ~3.4kw. And I should mention that I had the very latest firmware installed by Solis themselves.

No panic on it, 3kw would be plenty for me. Especially now as I only have 6kwp.

Another thing, am I right in saying that the PylonTech is a LiFePo4 battery?

547990.jpg

The US2000 is a a lithium ion phosphate/LFP. Dunno why I'm surprised. I just assumed that the LiFePo4 was something very different to what I have.

The US2000 is a a lithium ion phosphate/LFP. Dunno why I'm surprised. I just assumed that the LiFePo4 was something very different to what I have.

Lithium Ion Phosphate I think is the same as LiFePo4. There's no phosphate in a Lithium Ion (LiCoO2) battery so i think it's just a kind of lazy 'typo'.

• Advertisement

I got fed that line too - but I've deliberately tried to discharge my battery by turning on high load (6.4kw) and it maxed out the battery at ~3.4kw. And I should mention that I had the very latest firmware installed by Solis themselves.

It was just general chat, as I wasnt getting a hybrid anyway.

They say lithium ion, but they are lithium iron

Yeah same chemistry, Pylontechs have 15 cells in them.

Li - L - Lithium
    Fe - F- Iron
    Po4 - P- Phosphate

Different terms for the same battery.

Advertisement