Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The manual diagram shows 4 cables from can to the monitor. I'll check with the manufacturer.

12v and ground is the other 2 to the monitor. The solis doesn't need that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭championc

I found this. Obviously the Sofar end is an RF11 and not an RJ45

557694.jpg

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks folks.

I've emailed the BMS manufacturer to confirm his recommendation. He's in Oz but generally very quick with email responses so hopefully I'll have an answer in the morning.

Are we back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

Was looking forward to getting this site back to and running to see the progress in the battery set up Phil. How's the BMS wiring working out for you? Looking at possibly adding a 5kw version of these myself to start with.

As an aside this new boards site update is terrible

It's crap. I can't find my followed threads list.

It's a mess alright. I had to click on categories at the bottom of the page. Find stuff I used to follow like renewable energies and click the cog beside it and click follow.

Then after under categories click the drop down menu and change to following and shows then from there on. It's such hard work compared to the old site though!

When the ZEVA BMS was mentioned in April and looked into it a bit more.

It supported the SMA (LG, BYD) protocol but with some support for the pylontech one, but no guarantees.

I ordered one, even though the default battery setting was doing ok, it needed an eye on it, also was running the inverter in "passive" mode which allowed me to control it remotely. Had code wrote to prevent "recalculations" of the SoC unless I wanted it to.

Been sitting on the desk to "season" since then.

Got it installed at the weekend as the little balance board wasn't keeping it as balanced as I wanted on the high end.

All installed now and it keeps a great balance of the cells.

The pylon setting on the Inverter didn't work great but a new firmware update for the inverter has added LG to the battery list. Selected that and it has been perfect ever since.

Thankfully, the PC version of Boards.ie is somewhat the "Normal" version - but It's a complete mess on a phone or tablet

Anyway, are you all done Phil - up and running now ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Advertisement

Not near it lol

I've got everything I need, apart from time. Made a start, but I'm happy to just go a step at a time.

This is some progress thus far. Updated cable drawing and the first stages of connecting.

I'll be spreading the cells across 2 shelves and the BMS wires will be run up the back of the unit and the BMS itself mounted on the top.

Ignore the 2 BMS in the diagram, it was just for ease of illustration. Still has a few gaps to fill too. And I know those cables run to the isolator, not to the inverter itself.

Tis a match!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All up and running then with the battery connected to the Sofar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

If you have a large battery bank I would suggest a infrared laser thermometer as essential equipment.

I recently picked one up for no reason than it was cheap (20 euro in Lidl). Looking for something to point it at I tried the terminals on the cells in my battery bank (2v lead acid 4500 Ah each). While most were at the same temperature 3 were higher than average, and one was up by 9 degrees centigrade. After a clean and a few hours they were all at the lower temperature (they were being charged at about 120 amps at the time). There was no corrosion visible, surfaces were bright and clean, but a quick clean up with emery paper made the difference. I would not have cleaned them if I did not have the thermometer as they were spotless to my old tired eyes.

The thermometer now lives next to the battery bank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good stuff DrPhil, keep up the momentum and pics

What else would you be at on a sunny Sunday morning.

Good man Phil. Keep us updated with photos as it progresses 👍

Just one thing - your Bottom Shelf End shouldn't have two BMS cables going to the last positive terminal. The BMS will have 17 cables, one to the negative and 16 to the positives in sequence. Your drawing has 18 cables, which I don't believe is correct.

The busbars are 6 leaf copper strips, and the bolts are M10's I think, and even with a 5kW inverter connected to these, you couldn't heat these if you were pulling a full load. For once, they are possibly overspec'd, or at least for our use anyway.

• Advertisement

Not the sofar, but whatever inverter you have. Are you up and running?

Can confirm that. Mine does 3.2kW charge and discharge and the busbars nor the outside of the cells barely go above ambient temps

The BMS has a terminal for cell 16 and another terminal for most positive (can be run with less than 16 cells)

So you either put a jumper between most positive and 16 or run a second wire.

Its nothing to do with the gauge of material, its the junction surfaces (my interconnects and terminals are over an inch thick - overspec'd too). They only started showing this issue after 10 years of use, the surfaces are bright but there must be a very slow oxidization under the nut slowly increasing junction resistance. Every time I have observed this its the nut and bolt that are the hottest surface measured. It also would help you spot a nut that was not fully tightened down on the busbar, which would also lead to the same issue. For the money a easy, second opinion, temperature measurement that is quick and easy to do seems a good idea, especially for someone with an older battery bank like me. Looking forward to seeing your finished set up.

Yup the latest version of the bms has a + and a - at either end of the 16.

Yep mine are stone cold at full charge now I fixed the issues.

Nope, as above its a work in progress a bit at a time.

Got the rest of the BMS cables ringed and heat shrunk today. Just need to find the time to hook them all up.

Then work out the configuration of the Solis.

Well done so far @DrPhilG - very nicely done on the BMS tails.

Any of you other LiFePo4 builders put any heat control in place? As in fans or anything to cool them down?

I think the seller lists a charging temperature of minus 5 up to 60c so it wouldn't be needed as we'd never get that high.

On a scorching day the attic could tip over 30c. Today it was between 24 and 27c most of the day.

• Advertisement

Edit, just loaded the data from the stat sitting on top of my PylonTech batteries.

Yesterday saw the highest temp I've recorded up there, 35.7c at peak.

Advertisement