Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I didn't know, but I did find...

Lifepo4 on its side ?? | DIY Solar Power Forum (diysolarforum.com)

Which might be of interest (short answer is "no" it doesn't appear to be an issue). However, they do expand/contract a little, so I'd make sur that you have some clearance like you have in the photo at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

I'd stack horizontally like the vertical stack on the right side - so batteries lined up, on their edges, with their connections outwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

On the side so 🙂, will report back any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭puntypower

Has anyone built a case for the lifepo4 batteries? Saw a video on YouTube that you build a case while they are at a low state of charge and have them tight in the case so that when they get charged and expand slightly it doesn't put pressure on the terminals and gives a longer lifespan?

Also what do people use to top balance the batteries?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To top balance, a bench power supply with as many as you can in parallel charging at 3.6v

One more question lads, I have 16mm2 cable handy and its a 3.0m run to the 6Kw inverter. OK with that or should I beef it up to 25mm2 ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

if its a 3kw(60amps) inverter (DC) `16mm2 is fine, but if its 5kw (100amps) you'd want to push it to 25.

Anybody built a case for the lifepo4 batteries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'm about to start on building one tomorrow for 32 cells. Something similar to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pack them all up lads, Facebook has spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What ***** sent you that?

A 20kWh LiFePo4 pack is a helluva lot safer than your mobile phone battery.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

There are a few agenda pushers. As someone suggested, it should be renamed to be an INSTALLERS forum rather than an OWNERS forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

It does raise a question that I am having a bit of a struggle with at the moment. I am gearing up for a DIY install myself. However, my wife is asking some questions, like this, that I don't have the answer to. For example, what is the home insurance stance? As of yet I am a bit reluctant to contact them to ask (but I think it needs doing).

Some of the photos I've shown her has scared the bejaysus out her though. You can understand how they look when the "off the shelf" batteries are presented better and to her "safer" as she has no real experience of batteries.

I know lifepo4 cells are safer than ion but combustion is not unheard of. I will have them in the garage or in a specially built unit outside (near the consumer panel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

My favourite part is the installers' posts crying about push back against their 20% mark up prices 😂

For what other DIY stuff do you do and advise the insurance company ? When you do a diy repair on a car, do you tell your car insurance about it ?

For most important thing for me was to install safety disconnects - breakers / fuses / knob shutoffs

It gets [conveniently] totally forgotten about the fact that the installers get the pre-grant figure

Technically yeah, if you modify your car you need to tell them or it won't be insured. I am not sure the comparison of repairing a car and building a battery pack from scratch is comparable.

I am just playing devil's advocate here. Finances permitting I will DIY build. I have many 18650 12V packs all over the place, for many years and never even considered home insurance, and they're much more volatile!!

However, if some lad on some Facebook site says "that doesn't look safe your insurance won't cover" shouldn't we take that with as much credence a someone else saying "sure why wouldn't it be insured", if you know what I mean?

I suppose what I am trying to say is that, for me, there needs to be some consideration given to the DIY saftey process. Not saying it's 100% safe and not saying 100% not safe!!

That's a good point and one I hadn't considered either!!

• Advertisement

Can you rent these out or do people generally buy them? Or anyone in the Clare/Limerick area have one I could borrow in a few weeks?

I didn't mean modding a car. I meant something like replacing brake pads or fixing something

Actually, are people who get systems professionally installed, telling their insurance company ? Just because a "professional" has installed it, I would only see an installer taking responsibility for the kit installed, and not taking responsibility for your roof structure .......

My renewal is up next month so I will mention it to them.

Again, while I might agree with the logic in what you're saying it still doesn't prove that it is (or isn't) covered. The only real way to know this is to run it buy the house insurance.

For the laugh (wasn't really that funny to be honest) I called my home insurance company and asked. Pretty sure the lad I talked to hadn't a clue but he (eventually) said the panels are covered under building insurance. I specifically asked about internal components like batteries and he said "ah yeah, all of that is covered"

In one sense I should be covered now as that call was recorded. In another sense, this lad had no idea what I was on about but that is most likely not my problem now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Hi All, finally ready to take the plunge and order the cells. Currently €2400 for 32 CALB 200A packs from PWOD.

How is this in comparison to anyone who ordered recently?

I have a Solis 6kW hybrid Inverter with 18x 330W Jinko panels.

2 X 2.4kWh pylontech batteries (which I'll be removing and selling)

What BMS have people found the most successful to date with the Solis inverter ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think Seplos is the only game in town now that Zeva have stopped production. Although I believe they made their spec and designs available for anyone who wanted to make their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I had two insurance companies quoting me for my renewal earlier this year, and one of them even sent someone out to look at everything (outbuildings etc...). Not an eye batted at the PV or batteries, just add it to the rebuild cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭munsterfan2

I picked one up on Amazon, e80 or so. Should be done with top balancing in a week or two and am generally down home in Limerick every few weeks. DM me closed to when you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

my insurance is up the end of the month and will be making sure they know about pannels ,, if the roof comes off with the next storm im covered .. . :)

i got 16 batteries a couple of weeks ago , came to €1192.75 also bought a seplos €199

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone got a link to a seplos bms ? Struggling to find one near €200.

Likewise, I'm Limerick based and can lend you my bench PSU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

i got mine from here . was mentioned earlier in the thread .

Minerals Official Store

Thanks, was just replying to say I found it :) ordered

And there is a specific Seplos BMS thread, to help anyone unsure or needing help with wiring or settings

Thanks for that. Alot of great information in that thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We had a pretty bad lightning strike some years ago and the home insurance paid out for 3 x Morningstar MPPT60 charge controllers, as well as a lot of other electrical items related to my RE system. They asked me to get a "Technician's or supplier's report of how the items were damaged and quotes for replacement", I just gave them the replacement costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Have bitten the bullet and ordered 10x 5kWh rack mount batteries from China, will see how that goes in the coming weeks.

Not as cheap as the diy route but working out several hundred euro cheaper than anything I have priced here.

Looking at quotes the prices seem to be on the rise.

Won't be needing the 10 so will have some spare for those not wanting to go the diy route and can pm me for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Should be going down in reality, the EU approved the 0-5% VAT across the block the other day but if it applies to installers only means nothing to the consumer, installers will pocket that.

Wow any link to them or how much they cost you each landed including all taxes and duties? I guess about €200-€250 per kWh? I presume these are new and LiFePo4? What cells are in them? I guess 100Ah cells with 16 in series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭THE ALM

New lifepo4 alright. Away for a few days so will post specs when back next week.

Bit of help here please folks, new (16 X 3.2v LifeP04) batteries installed today but inverter seems to be drawing current from them instead of charging them.

Could anyone share their settings please for Solis inverter

Any more details on it. Assume it is seplos BMS? Are you connected via can connection?

Any photos of connections to and from batteries to inverter?

Daly BMS and inverter set to lead acid.

I actually bypassed the BMS to see if that was the issue, gonna wait till tomorrow to see if it comes around in the morning when the inverter starts up.

• Advertisement

No need to wait until tomorrow, you can see now if you can charge the battery from the grid? I'm not familiar with your hybrid inverter, but is the lead acid setting the right one?

OK, Think that I figured it out.

So just in case anyone else is in bother.

There is a Self-Use setting on the inverter and then a "Time Charge" setting which allows user to set charging and discharging times - This is to allow for maximum savings so that one would only configure the battery to be used at peak times like in the evening when electricity is muche more expensive for those on smart meters.

Anyhow's I just disabled that feature on the inverter so we will see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

hmm. Dont think thats yer issue. I would enble Self Use if i was you - but you dont need to enable Run on the next page - for charge and discharge times.

There is a long thread on here with lots of screenshots if you need them - look for charging night rate thread i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eniacs

Like this?

Let me know if you need any specific help, I didnt find a single guide for the whole thing.

Mine isnt perfect somhow Ive managed to get my settings wrong and when the battery gets full it triggers the inverter high battery voltage alarm. Otherwise i havent used any electric since I completed it, so I suppose its a success!

Impressive box. Assume it's two rows of 8 in this? Any chance of some pics of inside connections etc

Mine are en route and should be here in next two weeks so trying to get everything together here for it. Amy tips or problems you encountered?

My main worry is this high voltage alarm issue that most with Solis seem to have with the seplos. Does that involve having to reset it several times a day when hits full and high voltage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement