Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

graememk wrote: »
    Yep

No probs. I've sent a message to confirm.

I do intend to build some insulation around the shelving unit though for the winter months. And can add one a tubular heater too if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭championc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No probs. I've sent a message to confirm.

I do intend to build some insulation around the shelving unit though for the winter months. And can add one a tubular heater too if needed.

I have the tubular Heater plugged into an IFTTT type socket which turns on if the local weather is under 5°C. Simple but effective

championc wrote: »
    I have the tubular Heater plugged into an IFTTT type socket which turns on if the local weather is under 5°C. Simple but effective

I already have a motion sensor right beside my battery and inverter which has a temperature reading. Smartthings automation could turn on a heater based on that temp reading.

Those using either Daly or Heyo bms, has anyone connected one to an inverter using the CAN connection?

Support for both have told me it's straightforward but when I asked for a video instructional they just give me a video with instructions for connecting to a PC via CAN.

Those using either Daly or Heyo bms, has anyone connected one to an inverter using the CAN connection?

Support for both have told me it's straightforward but when I asked for a video instructional they just give me a video with instructions for connecting to a PC via CAN.

It's straight forward in that it's likely to be an RJ11 or RJ45 connector.

But the INVERTER has to support the BMS, not the other way around. Sofar have confirmed that they do NOT support either the DALY or the HEYO

By "support it", I mean that their inverter cannot talk to or understand what the BMS is saying

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll push the Solis people for an answer then.

From a Solis Facebook group...

547597.jpg

I'd still like to track down someone who has successfully done it though.

You'd be better asking Solis themselves. We have the same information for the Sofar. I could make a cable for sure, but Sofar basically said that any data would be ignored.

You'd be better asking Solis themselves. We have the same information for the Sofar. I could make a cable for sure, but Sofar basically said that any data would be ignored.

I've emailed Solis tech support also, and asked if there are any BMS systems that they DO support, if they don't support Daly/Heyo.

Sorry if I've asked before, but how do you check your state of charge for a live or nearly live status?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I've emailed Solis tech support also, and asked if there are any BMS systems that they DO support, if they don't support Daly/Heyo.

Sorry if I've asked before, but how do you check your state of charge for a live or nearly live status?

We just use the solar man app, (or pull it directly from the inverter)

It still has a SOC. It just can be inaccurate at times, ie 5% too high or too low

Eg mine stopped charging yesterday at 95% because it hit it's voltage limit ( battery was full), the night before it done it's recalculation on the current voltage and it must have calculated a little bit low.

• Advertisement

We just use the solar man app

Where does the Solar Man take it from? Is that a Sofar system?

It's not the end of the world if I can't get the SOC to show up on the Solis app, but I definitely need to be able to get a live or close to live status from somewhere.

Where does the Solar Man take it from? Is that a Sofar system?

It's not the end of the world if I can't get the SOC to show up on the Solis app, but I definitely need to be able to get a live or close to live status from somewhere.
    Solar man/solis app are the same server. - will show up like it usually does.

I can log into the solis website with the same login as the solarman .

Solar man/solis app are the same server. - will show up like it usually does.

I can log into the solis website with the same login as the solarman .

Gotcha. So that still leaves me in the same boat, the Solis app can get me a SOC, but only if the inverter is getting that info from the BMS.

Or am I confusing myself, can the inverter take the SOC directly from the battery?

Gotcha. So that still leaves me in the same boat, the Solis app can get me a SOC, but only if the inverter is getting that info from the BMS.

Or am I confusing myself, can the inverter take the SOC directly from the battery?

The Solis will do it's OWN calculation, based on the battery voltage vs the battery parameters you setup. If fully charged was 53v and discharged was 51v, and you were standing with 52v, you would likely guess you had 50% remaining. That is what the Solis will do.

If the inverter doesn't have a bms supplying a soc, it takes an estimate (based on settings) and works from that.

Eg on the Sofar, there is an empty voltage and full voltage,

If anyone is buying a HEYO BMS, can they please contact me privately. I'm looking for someone to order an additional RS485 and a Canbus interface for me. It seems that you can maybe only order them with a new BMS purchase (which seems daft)

If the inverter doesn't have a bms supplying a soc, it takes an estimate (based on settings) and works from that.

Eg on the Sofar, there is an empty voltage and full voltage,

Ah gotcha. So the Solis app WILL still have a battery percentage showing, along with the charge/discharge rate at that time, but it will be more accurate if the BMS is communicating correctly via canbus?

Ah gotcha. So the Solis app WILL still have a battery percentage showing, along with the charge/discharge rate at that time, but it will be more accurate if the BMS is communicating correctly via canbus?

Indeed, my understanding is that the inverter becomes a Dumb / Slave unit to the External BMS which then ultimately becomes the controller of charging and discharging.

Since you already have Pylontechs, surely you already see a SOC% in the app ? And surely too, if you disconnect the current Pylontech Canbus cable, it must surely disable the battery pack participation in the setup ?

Indeed, my understanding is that the inverter becomes a Dumb / Slave unit to the External BMS which then ultimately becomes the controller of charging and discharging.
    Gotcha.

Since you already have Pylontechs, surely you already see a SOC% in the app? And surely too, if you disconnect the current Pylontech Canbus cable, it must surely disable the battery pack participation in the setup ?
    I do get a SOC, my mistake was that I thought that without canbus connection to the Daly BMS, the Solis would not know a SOC at all. Now I understand that it will, but it won't be as accurate as it would with a canbus connection.

if you disconnect the current Pylontech Canbus cable, it must surely disable the battery pack participation in the setup?
    If I disconnect the Canbus cable from the PylonTech, won't the Solis be in the in the same position as if I connect a LiFePo4 pack without can connection? I.e. it will estimate the SOC rather than have a definite reading?

This is the information coming from the Solis app on my system.

Main screen
    547623.jpg

Battery screen
    547624.jpg

BMS screen
    547625.jpg

• Advertisement

PS the guy I spoke to on Facebook is part of the official Solis support team, albeit in the Philippines!

He said that there had been discussion with Solis tech team about officially supporting the Daly, as it is very popular among DIY users out there. He is hoping that a future firmware update will support it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hey Phil, I have a Solis inverter but the App looks nothing like yours. I'm particularly interested in the first screen.
    What's the exact name of the App?
    Cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

If I disconnect the Canbus cable from the PylonTech, won't the Solis be in the in the same position as if I connect a LiFePo4 pack without can connection? I.e. it will estimate the SOC rather than have a definite reading?

Not at all. As I said, the inverter is somewhat dumb / slave in "Pylontech" mode, so knows nothing about anything.

So to run the LiFePO4's, it needs to be in Default Mode, and be setup to mimic Lead-Acid's but with tweaked settings for LiFePO4.

So disconnect the cable and it is likely to shut down charging and discharging

slave1 wrote: »
    Hey Phil, I have a Solis inverter but the App looks nothing like yours. I'm particularly interested in the first screen.
    Cheers

Solis Home by Ginlong.

547640.jpg

Cheers

Or Solarman from IGEN Tech. There are several, so the one you want us the blue icon on the white background

Cheers
    If you don't have a hybrid inverter you Get something like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cheers
    Solis Home by Ginlong.

That’s the one I have
    If you don't have a hybrid inverter you Get something like this.

Yeah, that’s what I get, but I would like to see Grid and Consumption too. I see that data on the MyEnegri app but it’s not accurate, prefer info direct from inverter if possible...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That’s the one I have

Yeah, that’s what I get, but I would like to see Grid and Consumption too. I see that data on the MyEnegri app but it’s not accurate, prefer info direct from inverter if possible...

I know the inverter can use a CT for export limiting, it would definitely need one to have any chance of knowing the house load.

How come the myengri app is inaccurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I know the inverter can use a CT for export limiting, it would definitely need one to have any chance of knowing the house load.

How come the myengri app is inaccurate?

Wondering that too. I have two CT clamps: A Harvi for the Eddi and another for the inverter. Of the two, the Harvi gives much faster updates (about every 30 seconds) compared to the inverter app which is only updated every 5 or 6 minutes.

• Advertisement

That’s the one I have

So long as you have the CT clamps connected to the inverter, then it's down to setting the correct Plant type in Inyep > Other Info

Advertisement