Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster vs. Leinster, Saturday 6th March, 19.35 (Eir Sport 1)

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

:confused:

First contact is clearly the head

RH1OwXH.png

Huh?

How does that image clearly show first contact is with the head? It shows contact with his back and and shoulders too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

sydthebeat wrote: »
    one thing that really bugs me is the jackler actually leaning over the defender whos down protecting the ball in order to get on it and win a penalt

its literally impossible to to be legal, as its only the first defending arrival that can use hands 'before' a ruck is formed. Once theres a protector there, the moment the defender comes and makes contact, thats a ruck, therefore hands cannot be used.

another that pisses me off is where theres a protector over the ball, ruck formed, then a defender comes in and wrestles him to the ground deliberately. "No one on their feet" is called and the second or third defender can come in a use hands on the ball. Thats why Bundees looked so weird the other night. he argued there was no one on their feet but him so he should have been allowed to pick it up, but the ref (correctly) argued that as he joined the ruck and was part of the ruck, he couldnt use his hands but could only push the offside line more forward. You see very often refs allowing the second or third man in to use hands when either they or a team mate has deliberately pulled the ball protector to the deck.

Doesn't the defender have to be supporting his own bodyweight though? If he's off his feet, is a ruck still formed? Also, are you allowed pull the defender towards you and off his feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bilston wrote: »
    Huh?

How does that image clearly show first contact is with the head? It shows contact with his back and and shoulders too.

Because it does?

Explaining it any other way is the equivalent of explaining 1+1=2 lol. There is no ambiguity or way to make it simpler. It's just what happened.

The gif is more than clear proof that contact was clearly head to head and if you're seeing otherwise you're just willfully ignoring what happened

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »
    Doesn't the defender have to be supporting his own bodyweight though? If he's off his feet, is a ruck still formed? Also, are you allowed pull the defender towards you and off his feet?

we need to standardise our definitions :D

a "defender" in this case (in my words) is the team without the ball... perhaps i should use poacher instead

a "protector" is on the attacking team protecting the ball in the ruck.

very often you see a protector come in and clear out the tackler and get into that low crouched position over the tackled player and ball. What im seeing creep into the game is then a poacher come over the top of him and get hands on the ball... and it looks to the ref like the protector is off feet (because theres a 100kg guy lying on top of him) and it looks like the poacher i son feet even though hes essentially lying on a cluster of bodies.

my point is that once the protector is there, the very moment the poacher touches them then a ruck is formed and the poacher should not be allowed use hands.

ill try to find examples of it later

Huh?

You wha? Do you think T'OT's head hit somewhere else first? Or, in your view, is it ok to headbutt someone as long as you make some other sort of contact first?

FWIW, like MOB, I would say this is a 'rugby incident' and I hope we don't start seeing red cards for the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah we can argue about where the contact was all day.

Let’s just all agree Ulster got incredibly lucky with the refereeing decisions and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Huh?

You're looking at O'Tooles head, not his shoulder/arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

awec wrote: »
    If 2 players accidentally clash heads with neither player committing an offence I would imagine there'd be no action. I think this is what they mean when they say a "rugby collision".

But if 2 players accidentally clash heads when one of them tackles high, or someone leads with their head it's when they get will get penalized.

I'm agree with what you say here. So there was nothing wrong with JOB's tackle on Madigan. He wrapped his arms, they were below Madigan's shoulders and there was a head clash. To me that was a rugby collision. Same as TOT and ROL, VDF and EOS (I think).

You wha? Do you think T'OT's head hit somewhere else first? Or, in your view, is it ok to headbutt someone as long as you make some other sort of contact first?

FWIW, like MOB, I would say this is a 'rugby incident' and I hope we don't start seeing red cards for the likes.

Listen, is it really my responsibility to be the first person in the history of Boards to admit they were wrong:D

I ain't doing it

Ah we can argue about where the contact was all day.

Let’s just all agree Ulster got incredibly lucky with the refereeing decisions and move on.

I reckon we can just be grateful we didn't get a player sent off in the warm up for running into contact elbows first in the unopposed training run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The long-term goal of rugby must be to cut down on head clashes, accidental or otherwise, while still keeping it recognizable as the same sport. Quite the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Advertisement