Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human feces on the streets

Options

Comments

Thanks gaa fan. Made my Saturday afternnon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was once in Heatons in Thurles buying a pot and heard something like the sound of a duck quacking, then the smell of slurry looked around seen nothing. Went back to looking at the pots and then seen a mid age woman running out with her hand on her ass and diarrhoea seeping through.
    I laughed so hard at the quacking description.

This thread has the potential to be both hilarious and serious.

I was in a couple of shopping centres recently (they have large supermarkets) and most shops were open but the toilets were shut. People, both customers and non customers depend on these facilities and could easily be caught out. Whether toilets are shut or not seems to depend on whether they can be well ventilated by opening windows.

Lack of open facilities is just another miserable aspect of Covid and maybe will normalise the practice of public defecation/urination to some extent.

I'd have no qualms about sh*ting behind a bush etc. if it was necessary and if I was pretty sure I wouldn't be disturbed.

I might be wrong but I doubt that there are people sh*tting in public because they can't be bothered waiting till they get home, these are surely urgent situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Thanks gaa fan. Made my Sa’turd’ay afternnon

Fixed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Nenagh and Clonmel Co Tipperary were just as bad. In Nenagh for weeks outside zip yard there was human feces on the street. You’d think it would be solely the homeless and junkies, but I was passing through Clonmel back in 2016 at 2am. Stopped off at the McDonald’s there. Attractive blonde girl I a white dress pissed and **** herself outside the doors of McDonald’s. Clubbing at that time of night.

I was once in Heatons in Thurles buying a pot and heard something like the sound of a duck quacking, then the smell of slurry looked around seen nothing. Went back to looking at the pots and then seen a mid age woman running out with her hand on her ass and diarrhoea seeping through.

It’ll happen to the best of us at one point! Even OP :D

I was at a match in Semple years ago. I was the driver. A few of us stayed in Thurles all day visiting the pubs etc.
    Getting the car out of the carpark on the Slievemanon Road later that night, I nearly vomited.
    My car was parked up against the outside wall and the smell of human sh*t from there turned my stomach.
    I got into the driver's side very trepidly, afraid I'd trod in it.
    The gang that were with me were too drunk to believe the smell was human but there was no mistaking it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It’ll happen to the best of us at one point! Even OP :D

Sounds like it could be Crohn's disease to me. Not very funny. I've got several friends with Crohn's and they've been effectively housebound for the past year because they can't rely on access to toilets if they go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There are temporary toilets outside the Stephens Green shopping centre but I dont think they've put any on the northside or at least I havent seen any around. When I passed by the temporary ones in SSG the queue for the womens toilets was about 20 people long, easily a 45 minute wait.

There are temporary toilets on Wolfe Tone Square on Jervis St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Funny that as I had the same problem a few days back, was bursting for a piss. McDonalds near the Spire was open for takeaways but the security guard wouldnt let me use the toilet. Had no choice but to find a back lane. Went down Moores Lane at the back of Moore Street and yeah the whole place was like an open toilet, saw several ****es along the footpaths, one of them was right outside the back door of the same McDonalds, almost like someone had done it on purpose after being refused use of their toilet.

There are temporary toilets outside the Stephens Green shopping centre but I dont think they've put any on the northside or at least I havent seen any around. When I passed by the temporary ones in SSG the queue for the womens toilets was about 20 people long, easily a 45 minute wait.

There is also one on Wolf Tone Square for the North, but two toilets is **** for the whole city centre. Dublin needs a rollout of the Dutch style urinals! You can see people's heads and feet so no funny business allowed in them, they're everywhere and in prominent locations which also deters unsavoury acts like drug/sex being done in them, and the fact they're open to the air means they don't stink as bad as the portaloos or whatever is used in Dublin/Ireland aat events and festivals. They take very little maintenance and are absolutely everywhere in Dutch cities, and whatever maintenance they do take is gained back by the fact nobody will be pissing and ****ting in laneways so less cleaning of them needed.
    566812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

bb1234567 wrote: »
    There is also one on Wolf Tone Square for the North, but two toilets is **** for the whole city centre. Dublin needs a rollout of the Dutch style urinals! You can see people's heads and feet so no funny business allowed in them, they're everywhere and in prominent locations which also deters unsavoury acts like drug/sex being done in them, and the fact they're open to the air means they don't stink as bad as the portaloos or whatever is used in Dublin/Ireland aat events and festivals. They take very little maintenance and are absolutely everywhere in Dutch cities, and whatever maintenance they do take is gained back by the fact nobody will be pissing and ****ting in laneways so less cleaning of them needed.
    566812.jpg

But only males could use these, and only for going for a piss. Only partially solves the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

jams100 wrote: »
    But only males could use these, and only for going for a piss. Only partially solves the problem

Are there handwashing facilities in those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Are there handwashing facilities in those things?

I doubt it :D
    Sure, it's just basically p*ssing up against a metal wall.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Jesus, most of these fcukers should be put into the zoo. Hopefully they won't sling sh*t at the visitors.

Could do a few matchups - Junkie Vs Hyena for the belt. Paddy Power could sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I doubt it :D
    Sure, it's just basically p*ssing up against a metal wall.

Oh, I'm never going to shake a Dutch man's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Mimon wrote: »
    Holy feck, glad I moved out of Dublin five years ago.

Council/Guards have given up totally.

Where did you escape to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Caranica wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be Crohn's disease to me. Not very funny. I've got several friends with Crohn's and they've been effectively housebound for the past year because they can't rely on access to toilets if they go out.

I thought suffers of crohn's disease have colostomy bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

kravmaga wrote: »
    I thought suffers of crohn's disease have colostomy bags?

Only if they've had major surgery, some cases can be managed fairly successfully with medication or small surgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Walking past the lane at back of the Pro cathedral. I had to do a double take. I saw this lady standing up, doing a number 2
    Was coming out like toothpaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

This video below is about similar problems in San Francisco. I believe Dublin city is on the same trajectory.

I say that because the same ' virtue signaling ' types are in control at Dublin City Council. Just like San Francisco, policies are well intended but despite this problems don't get solved and only seem to get worse. What's that saying about the road to hell...

Its uncanny how similar Dublin is getting to San Fran, with respect to these issues.

https://youtu.be/uw8MACDZ3RI

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Great video - we are definitely sleepwalking into a similar scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Oh :( my :( God :(

Can they not take a shovel and go into the woods and bury it. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Can't blame them having a **** down a lane. Had to wait for my girlfriend who was queing up at stephens green temporary toilets, the que went all the way down to top shop... Imagine having to que up for half an hour to use a toilet. The only alternative is to piss down a lane ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are lots of conditions and medications that can cause people to get very little advance notice of 'poo time'. The lack of public toilets in the city was an issue before, but made worse now with the closure of restaurants and pubs.

Surely it is possible to design a public toilet that can be kept reasonably clean, or build and properly staff/patrol public toilets. It wouldn't dissuade phantom public pooers, but it would be somewhere for the general public to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Can't blame them having a **** down a lane. Had to wait for my girlfriend who was queing up at stephens green temporary toilets, the que went all the way down to top shop... Imagine having to que up for half an hour to use a toilet. The only alternative is to piss down a lane ffs.

Exactly, there are two open public toilets in Dublin city at the moment and I am pretty sure the vast majority of people wouldn't crap on the street if they had a choice. It's like you're at a festival at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Yes more toilets are needed and the above points are well made but I need to reiterate I saw this regularly enough pre-Covid too, when all restaurants and toilet facilities were operating as normal.

There are unfortunate medical conditions that affect people who 'need to go' but my opinion is that the majority of excrement I am seeing is from people whose medical condition is substance abuse - that and or homelessness.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Exactly, there are two open public toilets in Dublin city at the moment and I am pretty sure the vast majority of people wouldn't crap on the street if they had a choice. It's like you're at a festival at the moment!

Maybe we should name some coffee shops that have toilets open? (cheap bastards closing them to save some money in cleaning)

There's a Coffee shop on Forbes street just at grand canal dock. It's called lolly and cooks. They allowucs to use the toilet everytime we go in for a coffee.

The likes of costa and starbucks have their toilets blocked off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

deep_dish wrote: »
    Yes more toilets are needed and the above points are well made but I need to reiterate I saw this regularly enough pre-Covid too, when all restaurants and toilet facilities were operating as normal.

There are unfortunate medical conditions that affect people who 'need to go' but my opinion is that the majority of excrement I am seeing is from people whose medical condition is substance abuse - that and or homelessness.

I saw it once in 16 years of living in the city, but dozens of times over the last year. Substance abuse doesn't completely remove you of your dignity unless you get completely smashed and you don't have to be an addict or homeless to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

There should be more loos. For sure. Loads more. That stupid sign "toilets are for customers only" should be illegal. Let non customers pay a euro or two, fair enough.
    But if someone with a medical condition that causes sudden incontinence - and I know two people with such and it is very difficult for them - are going into a town or place with few or no toilets would incontinence pants not be a good idea? I imagine most people with conditions make such arrangements. Women from girlhood arrange to bring pads etc to stop from free bleeding in public. I honestly think human poo on the streets is very very rarely as a result of people suffering with bowel conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had to p*ss down a lane a couple of Saturdays ago somewhere off George's St, last year my girlfriend at the time had to do the same, I think in the same lane!
    There was literally no choice. Without the option of sneaking into a pub or buying a coffee in Starbucks so you can use the jacks, what are you supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I had to p*ss down a lane a couple of Saturdays ago somewhere off George's St, last year my girlfriend at the time had to do the same, I think in the same lane!
    There was literally no choice. Without the option of sneaking into a pub or buying a coffee in Starbucks so you can use the jacks, what are you supposed to do?

It is very unfair, I felt so ashamed pissing on the street as I've given out about it for years how Dublin's streets smell of piss and I was contributing to it now , but the alternative was my trousers

Gruffalux wrote: »
    There should be more loos. For sure. Loads more. That stupid sign "toilets are for customers only" should be illegal. Let non customers pay a euro or two, fair enough.
    But if someone with a medical condition that causes sudden incontinence - and I know two people with such and it is very difficult for them - are going into a town or place with few or no toilets would incontinence pants not be a good idea? I imagine most people with conditions make such arrangements. Women from girlhood arrange to bring pads etc to stop from free bleeding in public. I honestly think human poo on the streets is very very rarely as a result of people suffering with bowel conditions.

I disagree that those signs should be illegal. Why should a business provide a toilet for a non customer?

I'll often head into a cafe and get a quick double espresso if I'm in need.. it's not a bad excuse for a quick shot of caffeine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

It's a real statement of a city's character when you've as much chance of seeing a dog's paw print in a human poo as the other way around.

Advertisement