Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human feces on the streets

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to live in Brixton and they had a community toilet scheme where local cafes, restaurants, pubs, even McDonalds agreed to just allow people to use their toilets. Should be a similar operation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

deep_dish wrote: »
    Great video - we are definitely sleepwalking into a similar scenario

Exactly. And you are right - homelessness ( and human excrement on the streets ) is not a housing problem, its a mental health problem.

Public toilets isn't the answer. Under normal circumstances, the majority of people visiting the city center can plan their trip along with a cafe/ lunch stop if needs be. Shopping centers have public toilets too. Only a minority people wont be able to avail of these options and they will likely have substance abuse issues. There's a good temporary toilet on Wolfe Tone Square since the pandemic started. It seems to be mostly used by local drunks, who are housed in nearby homeless shelters.

The same guy has another excellent video on the general topic of homelessness in the US. Its also remarkably apt for Dublin & Cork. Especially his points about so called compassion and , like Ireland, the ' homeless industrial complex ' . It sucks up public funds based on good intentions (compassion ) but with very poor outcomes. Most of the funds seem to pay the wages of NGO/ charity employees. ( Focus Ireland/ Salvation Army etc etc )

https://youtu.be/essjVcdPuFk

I counted 7 tents on Henry St this morning. One person sleeping on Moore St last week died. No mention of it in the news this week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0306/1201346-death-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Biker79 wrote: »

The same guy has another excellent video on the general topic of homelessness in the US. Its also remarkably apt for Dublin & Cork. Especially his points about so called compassion and , like Ireland, the ' homeless industrial complex ' . It sucks up public funds based on good intentions (compassion ) but with very poor outcomes. Most of the funds seem to pay the wages of NGO/ charity employees. ( Focus Ireland/ Salvation Army etc etc )
    Have you some magic solution to providing homeless services without paying the staff who provide those services?

Have you some magic solution to providing homeless services without paying the staff who provide those services?

Indeed I do. Make their employment contingent on solving problems rather than wishful thinking.

Indeed I do. Make their employment contingent on solving problems rather than wishful thinking.

Homeless service works aren't generally in charge of housing policy, so your magic solution isn't likely to work. People at the front line don't get to 'solve problems'. They get to keep people alive, maybe even warm.

Those who control the purse strings in Leinster House are the ones who get to solve problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

How do you know is is human fecal and not puppy or kitten fecal? How can you tell the difference? I would like to avoid it if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Is feeding people and giving them shelter not solving a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I used to live in Brixton and they had a community toilet scheme where local cafes, restaurants, pubs, even McDonalds agreed to just allow people to use their toilets. Should be a similar operation here.

There are no cafes, pubs or restaurants open and when they do open it will be with extreme restrictions.

The council (and same probably applies in other cities) needs to put in maintained, safe toilet blocks of some sort.

There will be a drug user issue, but if we accepted reality and provided safe injection areas, we might have some hope of dealing with that. Our drugs policies are moralistic and not achieving a reduction in drugs use and just causing public nuisance by not putting in those facilities. So you end up with public spaces becoming inaccessible / problematic to provide.

There was a huge issue in London with parks stinking of urine last summer because of lack of toilets and outdoor dining driven by pandemic rules.

Is feeding people and giving them shelter not solving a problem?

What?

I'm referring to policy managers, not volunteers.

And no, its not solving a problem. Its addressing the immediate effects of a failure to solve the root cause of a wider problem.

What?

I'm referring to policy managers, not volunteers.

And no, its not solving a problem. Its addressing the immediate effects of a failure to solve the root cause of a wider problem.

Frontline staff aren't volunteers. They are paid,professionally employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How do you know is is human fecal and not puppy or kitten fecal? How can you tell the difference? I would like to avoid it if possible.

You can't tell the difference between human **** and dog ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nenagh and Clonmel Co Tipperary were just as bad. In Nenagh for weeks outside zip yard there was human feces on the street. You’d think it would be solely the homeless and junkies, but I was passing through Clonmel back in 2016 at 2am. Stopped off at the McDonald’s there. Attractive blonde girl I a white dress pissed and **** herself outside the doors of McDonald’s. Clubbing at that time of night.

I was once in Heatons in Thurles buying a pot and heard something like the sound of a duck quacking, then the smell of slurry looked around seen nothing. Went back to looking at the pots and then seen a mid age woman running out with her hand on her ass and diarrhoea seeping through.

It’ll happen to the best of us at one point! Even OP :D

I'm cracking up here, you should be a writer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Blonde girl ? Possible Bulmers Pear victim :

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055573707/1/#post60384215

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

In a more liquid vein, was getting off the DART at Clontarf Rd, a Thursday night back in the days of Barcode filling up with youngsters, got over the other side to exit the station and this young wan headed under stairs on the Northbound platform to lift her belt of a skirt, drop the keks and have a piss.

They've replaced the lifts there in recent years but they used to reek of urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Nenagh and Clonmel Co Tipperary were just as bad. In Nenagh for weeks outside zip yard there was human feces on the street. You’d think it would be solely the homeless and junkies, but I was passing through Clonmel back in 2016 at 2am. Stopped off at the McDonald’s there. Attractive blonde girl I a white dress pissed and **** herself outside the doors of McDonald’s. Clubbing at that time of night.

I was once in Heatons in Thurles buying a pot and heard something like the sound of a duck quacking, then the smell of slurry looked around seen nothing. Went back to looking at the pots and then seen a mid age woman running out with her hand on her ass and diarrhoea seeping through.

It’ll happen to the best of us at one point! Even OP :D

Clonmel Junkies were shooting up and ****ting in the churches in the town centre there too. I heard they had a phantom ****ter in Guident that was evading capture for almost two years till it just stopped, supposedly doo doo was stuck under a car door handle in the car park.

Advertisement