Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squeaky subfloor under new engineered hardwood

• 05-03-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

I thought i had fixed all the squeaks in the subfloor before laying my engineered hardwood floor.

But unfortunately i missed one or one has appeared. Its pretty loud so cant be ignored.

The engineered wood is floated on underlay and glued together so i cant lift it.

Any ingenious solutions before i cut a hole in the ceiling below and fix from underneath?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So I ended up propping up the floor by a few inches very carefully as i hadnt gone right up to the wall on one side. Getting some expanding foam and spraying a bunch of it onto the sub floor under the underlay around the squeaky area.
    Dropping the floor down and putting some heavy stuff on top which squished it out level.

I kept an eye on it and checked it with a level a few times over the next few hours to make sure it didnt rise or sink while the foam cured.

My idea was the foam would squash and expand into all the gaps in the subfloor and hopefully stop the noise once it cured.

It seems to have worked. At least in the short term. We will see how long it lasts but its not a high traffic area so hopefully it will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

So I ended up propping up the floor by a few inches very carefully as i hadnt gone right up to the wall on one side. Getting some expanding foam and spraying a bunch of it onto the sub floor under the underlay around the squeaky area.
    Dropping the floor down and putting some heavy stuff on top which squished it out level.

I kept an eye on it and checked it with a level a few times over the next few hours to make sure it didnt rise or sink while the foam cured.

My idea was the foam would squash and expand into all the gaps in the subfloor and hopefully stop the noise once it cured.

It seems to have worked. At least in the short term. We will see how long it lasts but its not a high traffic area so hopefully it will last.

Credit for posting the solution when none was offered!

Advertisement