Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo Dying?

Options
  • 05-03-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

I bought some bamboo at the end of last year - phyllostachys of some description. The plants are about 8 foot high.

I had planned to build a planter and use them as a screen for privacy. I didn't do a lot of research and over the winter some other things came up and the bamboos were more or less forgotten about. They were in a relatively exposed area to wind. I never really watered them.

Now that I have a bit of time to take care of them, I've started by moving them into some larger posts.

I'm just wondering if they're going to survive - I'd apprecciate if anyone on her could take a look at the attached photos and offer any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have limited experience of bamboo but I don't think they are dead, they look a bit shook but that could be wind damage. I would put them in a more suitable area keep them watered - those small pots compared with their size will soon dry out - and see what happens. If you can ease one out of the pot look and see are the roots/rhizomes black and lifeless or do they seem to have some green/white plumpness in them.

You should probably plant them out as soon as possible, either repot or plant out.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

looksee wrote: »
    You should probably plant them out as soon as possible, either repot or plant out.

I've just replanted them into those pots from even smaller ones! I didn't notice any black or particularly dead looking roots.

I'm hoping to put together a decent sized planter - hopefully the pots they're in will buys me some time.

Ill keep them well watered - I'm wondering should I feed them with anything. I've just potted them with a mix of compost and John Innes number 3 for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

thejaguar wrote: »
    I've just replanted them into those pots from even smaller ones! I didn't notice any black or particularly dead looking roots.

I'm hoping to put together a decent sized planter - hopefully the pots they're in will buys me some time.

Ill keep them well watered - I'm wondering should I feed them with anything. I've just potted them with a mix of compost and John Innes number 3 for now.

That's wind damage, bamboo is tough, it will come back. Why not plant them though

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Jackben75 wrote: »
    That's wind damage, bamboo is tough, it will come back. Why not plant them though

They're apparently the "running" variety. If I plant them they'll soon appear under my bed and various other terrible places...

Advertisement