Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

line chart recording temperature each day for the year

Options
  • 05-03-2021 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Eze

I have started a line chart recording temperature each day for the year.
    I have 2 columns, one with date, the other with temperature.

My problem is that as time goes by, I have to scroll down the Excel worksheet further. I tried hiding rows, but that stops the chart from picking up the hidden data.
    It's excel 2003.
    Anyone know how to get around this problem?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Can you split the data into tabs, say one for each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Spocker wrote: »
    Best way to do it, 12 columns x 31 rows. You can also use this layout to easily work out averages per month / season etc if you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is it the scrolling that is the issue? Ctrl+shift+down key, will skip right down to the bottom of the column (and select every value in the column)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Could you filter the data in columns to show the most recent date in the first row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If correctly understood, inconvenience is when you scroll through sheet you have to drag chart along.
    Consider split window feature. Place your chart at the end of data table
    Edit: for Excel 2003 split see https://www.positivevision.biz/blog/bid/145665/Excel-Tips-and-Tricks-Splitting-Windows

*Data is imaginary

546006.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

Spocker wrote: »
    Good idea, but was hoping for something simpler. Perhaps it doesn't exist.
    advertsfox wrote: »
    Best way to do it, 12 columns x 31 rows. You can also use this layout to easily work out averages per month / season etc if you like.
    Another idea that I hadn't thought of. I might have to do that if nothing more elegant is suggested.
    Is it the scrolling that is the issue? Ctrl+shift+down key, will skip right down to the bottom of the column (and select every value in the column)
    Yes. I'd like to be able to switch to my chart tab and have the cells into which I input data, right there without having to do anything else.
    cunavalos wrote: »
    Could you filter the data in columns to show the most recent date in the first row
    I must invistigate that to see if it works out for me.
    If correctly understood, inconvenience is when you scroll through sheet you have to drag chart along.
    Consider split window feature. Place your chart at the end of data table
    I might end up doing that, but there would be the inconvenience of often reconfiguring the split.

Btw excuse answering all the replies like this. I am just learning how to use the reply box and was seeing how I could stretch it's options.

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT. I see that replying this way makes it difficult to reply to my comment to each individual. Lesson learned. I will not try to be so "clever" with future replies.

Trapeze wrote: »
    I might end up doing that, but there would be the inconvenience of often reconfiguring the split.
    Why would you need to do such?
    Configure your bottom part to show the way you want. Operate/scroll upper part for entering fresh data,but suite yourself.....

546021.JPG

Eze

Why would you need to do such?
    Configure your bottom part to show the way you want. Operate/scroll upper part for entering fresh data,but suite yourself.....

Yes, thanks. I didn't visualize it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem.

But various solutions are available.

Put the chart on a different tab -leave the data tab at the last used row when you save

Ctrl shift down arrow on data will bring you to the last data in the table.

Trapeze wrote: »
    Yes, thanks. I didn't visualize it like that.
    And there is nothing to prevent you to have chart on top part and data below
    546035.JPG

• Advertisement
    Eze

And there is nothing to prevent you to have chart on top part and data below

That's the way I ended up doing it. Thanks all.

Advertisement