Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No nothing in 69 stores out that are about 430+LW as well as 8 finishing cattle moves 15 finishing cattle over the last fortnight.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nothing in here yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just 10% of stock in. Weaning empties and a 1st Calver. Just as easy to put these in and give hay. Still a good bit of grass around but ground here is starting to go. I will probably have half the stock in by the end of the week. Will just be a little easier due to being part time.

Has been a great back end for here. Excellent growth, but excellent ground conditions up to the past week. September is the key month to shortening the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Bullocks 650kg up all in to be finished before Christmas. All bulls to be killed out of the shed will be in this week. Plenty of grass left but have stores and weanlings out on it. Hope that any cattle that are going back to grass next year will be out until at least the end of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭alps

Replacements in....Cows will be in tonight for 1st time. 11 daytime grazings left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Strip grazing away, heavy covers and closed Fields greening up well.

A pen filled with ones for year end factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Cows not yet, some younger animals are. Got a lot rain yesterday but not as much as forecast. Wednesday looks the next bad day so that will probably put them in by night. Day until the first week of Nov hopefully then. It's been a very good back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Nothing in yet. Next weekend will test me as heavy ground here. I usually give stock a bale out for the week before they go in so as not to have total diet change. First feeder going out tomorrow.

Why not give hay in the shed. Will help them settle after wet grass and then ease into silage. Doing it for years and it works well. Nothing nicer on the tummy's, like a dry feed when coming in off wet grass. Really settles them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

How can you put in cattle with the temperatures in the mid teens. The weather is as mild now than we get at the end of any Summer, grass is still growing, cattle are happier and a lot healthier outside for now.

A dog with a rubber mallet stuck up it's hole wouldn't have cattle housed in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Our stocking rate here is just on the 170kg/ha with our sheep and we won't have what grass is here grazed in a month and, as you say, it's still growing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

There are many reasons to have cattle indoors in some places.

The mallet shoved up the dog's hole might be there for sound medical reasons..

Great if you have dry ground. Heavy wet ground, and it's a choice in the coming days or have no ground suitable to graze until next may. Lots of us not lucky to have a big bank of dry ground.

I know which choice I will be making this week. You farm the ground your on and not be influenced by some dog and with his rubber mallet

You could have the same conditions in May as you have now, maybe worse, I've seen plenty months of April and May where it's cold with no growth and hailstone showers.

If that's your reason for housing them now in this mild weather then you should be looking at an alternative farming system

Easier to get lighter stock out in early spring due to weight, less demand on grass and cause less damage. Law of averages leads to April and Mays being a hell of a lot better than late Octobers and Novembers. My housing is not determined by mild weather, like many many others in this country it's determined by soil moisture. I wish you well grazing into February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We housed the majority of feeding cows yesterday as all they were doing was ploughing up the paddock and getting stones stuck in their hooves. The sucklers, feeding heifers and young stock are still out but have access to hay (sucklers), the feed barrier (feeding heifers) and meal in the trough for the young stock.

That's pure nonsense, law of averages what next. What you are doing is Calendar farming. what happens if you get a late spring? you'd end up having cattle housed for 6 months!! You'd get a shorter winter in Canada

Only place for finishing stock this time of the year is in the shed. Unless you’ve very dry ground and they are a couple of weeks away from finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The weather is Canada is fairly predictable - the get warm dry summers and cold winters, it's a very different weather system to what we have in Ireland which I understand is the most difficult to predict due to our location between the Atlantic and the European land mass.

As an aside - I wonder after reading some of your comments/posts are you a troll or just trying to piss everyone on F&F off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

Dry sucklers are in here. Most of the weanlings are still out bar what’s going to be fed on. I’ll stagger housing to suit here but a lot of the time it’s down to needing to for the easy life as I’m away working in the dark and home in the dark.

Well that is the point I'm making, if the weather is unpredictable which we know it is then you should be working with it. I do take the point that heavy cattle near finishing are better off being housed for the few weeks to finishing but that's different to housing cattle now for the winter. Those cattle have a different diet requirement which would not be gotten outside this time of year.

Currently it's much milder than normal, ground is dryer as we had a very dry mid August to October. If you are in trouble with ground conditions then you are overstocked or have no business with heavy cattle like Suckler cows or heavy stores.

As an aside also, idk how anyone could get pissed off with anything said on boards. It's an anonymous posting form with absolutely no kyc for boards of any sort. You have every type of a fraud on here from financial advisors to catfish. If you are willing to believe half the stuff said then you should join that dog with the rubber mallet.......

There is a very big difference in a field damaged now and a field damaged a bit next may, even if conditions are worse then.

Yes the field that gets damaged now gets 3 months or more in winter to recover.

Where the fook would I be going putting the likes of this lady in now, it could be the 1st week of June as far as she is concerned. I don't think any animal would choose to be standing in on slats for the next 6 months.

Post edited by Easten on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes and No. I have moved completely from winter finishing. I even find trying to polish cattle off in the shed for 6-8 weeks is only a break even game with a lot of dairy cross stock. I have eight left. There is the bones of a ton of ration in the bin. I want to convert that back into cash.

I will try to pick paddocks with lighter covers and use stores to eat out heavy covers.

Slava Ukrainii

I’ve two dogs but I’ve only one hammer 🤔🤔🤔

Feeding cattle outside if you are working long hours off farm in a non runner this time of year but I know what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I've ten left to finish. Luckily I have an acre of winter age covered in Hazel and tress. I use that all summer to feed my finishing stock so even in wet weather they aren't ploughing fields around feeding meal. There are 3 very dry fields around it and I can let them eat grass up to end of Nov unless horrible weather comes. Mid Oct I drop in a bale of hay in the ring feeder and that keeps the wet grass from running through them and from next week start of nov, they will start getting a bale of silage at the feeding barrier. This gives them access to good DM forage all the time. I can close off the fields if a few bad days come together and they are extremely content on their meal, silage and hay sheltering from the weather. They are just as happy when the electric fence is drawn back after a dry day or two going back to grass. Everyone has a different situation and a different farm. Even at the end of my land 800m away I couldn’t do what I do in the feeding area as the ground holds more water. I try not to abuse that part of the farm at the Start and end of the year.

• Advertisement

Advertisement