Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Some rain after falling last night and scuttery day here all day. Cattle are out and are content. Moved from first field today. Mob grazing for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I says wrote: »
    Some rain after falling last night and scuttery day here all day. Cattle are out and are content. Moved from first field today. Mob grazing for now.

Have 2 paddocks in an absolute ****e after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have 2 paddocks in an absolute ****e after the weekend.

I'm on my way with the guttler

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'm on my way with the guttler

I'll give it a rub of the grass harrow first ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I'll give it a rub of the grass harrow first ðŸ˜

Is it not too wet? A bit of dust might be a better job.

• Advertisement

Is it not too wet? A bit of dust might be a better job.

Ah it is. I was only giving smart arse a dig ; )
    2 days of drying and id chance it all the same. Wouldnt mind seeing the nose of the dini turning in the drive after that.

Ah it is. I was only giving smart arse a dig ; )
    2 days of drying and id chance it all the same. Wouldnt mind seeing the nose of the dini turning in the drive after that.

If the price is right

Reggie. wrote: »
    If the price is right

Boards rates : )

Boards rates : )

Ram it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Smashing day, you can see the grass coming over the last week, a bit of heat is unreal.
    I let the last of the store cattle out, all the cow pairs are out, only the stragglers left to calf and the culls left inside. Great start to the grazing year so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Left off autumn calvers today after weighing for beep great day to let em off. Rest will be out over the next week

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Left off autumn calvers today after weighing for beep great day to let em off. Rest will be out over the next week

I let out the spring calvers, I couldn't get them out of the sheds quick enough this year between scour and coughing I never had it as bad. Lucky they all survived, but idk what was the cause if it.
    They are a lot healthier outside just as long as the weather holds for some of the calves to strengthen up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I let out the spring calvers, I couldn't get them out of the sheds quick enough this year between scour and coughing I never had it as bad. Lucky they all survived, but idk what was the cause if it.
    They are a lot healthier outside just as long as the weather holds for some of the calves to strengthen up

Weather not settled yet tide back to looking cat again this week we dunno wat twill do this time though I could hear the ferry again this morning which is about 4 or 5 miles away as crow flies wind gonna go north though that's for sure

At slurry today and only had access to one field but it got nearly 4k gallons per acre of watery slurry. Didn’t think it wasn’t as wet underneath. Shure it’ll be there for the second cut! Cattle starting to clean up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Grass seems to be coming the past week or so. have a paddock closed off for when i start lambing next month (Better late than never), gave it fert last friday so hopefully it drives on now for the next few weeks. We had a terrible time last year with drought and no grass for ewes. They were shook when sheared even though id pumped them with nuts and hay.

Grass has slowed to snails pace here with the cold the last week.

Yep no regrowth. Grazing conditions are good, cattle are doing no damage and cleaning the ground but nothing coming after them. I'm gonna use slurry on the bare ground I think it would work better than bag fertilizer in this cold snap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Same thing here. Just stopped dead in its tracks. We're progressing through april now, so sooner or later milder weather has to come and when it does, the place will be transformed overnight.

Lads will be looking for rain shortly.

Same thing here. Just stopped dead in its tracks. We're progressing through april now, so sooner or later milder weather has to come and when it does, the place will be transformed overnight.

Think after this weekend its to be warmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I plan not to graze the silage ground this year.
    It delays first cut too much and every year seems to be June before it's ready. It got light slurry in Feb, 2 bags 0-7-30 and 2 bags urea on it 2 weeks ago.

Cut in 5 weeks time and have aftergrass by June 8th
    Will hopefully have enough grass without it- calf to beef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I plan not to graze the silage ground this year.
    It delays first cut too much and every year seems to be June before it's ready. It got light slurry in Feb, 2 bags 0-7-30 and 2 bags urea on it 2 weeks ago.

Cut in 5 weeks time and have aftergrass by June 8th
    Will hopefully have enough grass without it- calf to beef

Quit grazing it early here too. Usually ended up that it wasn’t ate until mid April which was too late to close it to get a decent crop before the end of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Last of the silage ground grazed off last Monday. All except last 5 acres got Urea a week ago. Slurry spread last Tuesday and Wednesday. Weather depending expect to be cutting last week in May.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I normally graze it off. Great quality silage after it has been grazed down fully.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I normally graze it off. Great quality silage after it has been grazed down fully.

I think it’s a great job. Sheep here all winter and lovely clean ground. Nice leafy silage with very little stem when grazed in March. Can’t see the logic in not grazing it off.

I think it’s a great job. Sheep here all winter and lovely clean ground. Nice leafy silage with very little stem when grazed in March. Can’t see the logic in not grazing it off.

I’m getting the white vermin next December ground will be perfect, according to experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

My silage block is behind the sheds, one of Which has had a back door cut into it so Sheep can be Left graze over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cattle out 3-4 weeks now. You can really see the way some of the Friesians thrive compared to other animals and even other Friesians. Most cattle have coated or nearly coated. A good few have only the underbelly to clean off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cattle out 3-4 weeks now. You can really see the way some of the Friesians thrive compared to other animals and even other Friesians. Most cattle have coated or nearly coated. A good few have only the underbelly to clean off.

Similar here, they've really cleaned off, they're still in the shed though.
    Different looking animals...... time of the year I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Cows nearly finished the 1st rotation here and very little grass ahead of them. The growth has being very bad. Cold spell has really stunned it. I'm going to give a bale or 2 and slow them up & hopefully growth picks up. I was looking at pictures this time last year & the grass difference is crazy.

Advertisement