Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Radio Forum for tackling a Bully - Appeal

• 05-03-2021 10:44pm

Detail below.

Catmaniac should resign as Mod from the Radio forum as not only is s/he a bully, s/he is also using his position as Moderator to bully those who disagree with his posts.

S/He banned me officially for 6 months for "back seat modding"- but no s/he didn't, s/he banned be because s/he's now embarrassed by his/her posts- s/he know's I'm correct in calling her/him out and s/he didn't like me tackling him in her/his own home ground - just like all other bullies.

Her's/His behaviour is not becoming of a moderator on boards. I don't care if i back-seated mod (which I believe I didn't because there was discussion over the last few pages around the comments that people made which they were partaking in- s/he banned me because s/he's a bully, and that's what bullys do. S/He didn't have the guts to say sorry for the posts they made to the caller on the show who was very vulnerable adult and was bullied out of school 40 years ago- and how they may have impacted that very vulnerable caller to the radio show.

The upcoming bullying bill, currently before the Dail

"makes a campaign of online harassment a crime punishable by unlimited fines and up to 10 years in prison when the crime involves “persistent communication” directly with a person or about that person to wider audiences."

The posts I quoted were a "campaign" perpetrated against a very vulnerable caller to Live Line, who phoned in because he was bullied out of school 40 years ago.

I have emailed the moderator who banned me, who won't lift this ban, and calls this matter- "trivial"- their words, not mine.

Who bans someone for 6 months for back seat modding?

I'll tell you - someone who's running very scared.

Dear PlentyOhToole,

You have been banned from Radio for six months for posting Backseat Moderation.

Boards.ie has a team of volunteers who look after our forums and they are the ones who will give instruction or take action on a thread should it be deemed necessary.

If you see a problem with a post, report it and a mod will investigate.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Catmaniac

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PlentyOhToole View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by two wheels good View Post
    Not judging by the comments here.

Sometimes it's appropriate to lay-off the usual and repetitive comments.
    I totally agree two wheels good, and I'll go further and I WILL actually judge the comments here......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
    Part of the upper middle class.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PieOhMy View Post
    I hope he calls barry 'petal' to sign off. Hes sick of princess
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
    David Norris' twin brother?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Jaman View Post
    I was a good looking, beautiful boy, cursed with a sense of modesty.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by denartha View Post
    https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0...258640250a3de8

Congratulations guys. Over 40 years ago a young boy left a school because he was bullied. He phoned into a live radio show to discuss his experience in the hands of a gross pedophile.

Guess what happened 40 years later? Some cowards, some absolute dim-wits- but mostly, some bullies, successfully bullied this very person all over again.

Don't even think of defending the above posts- they're absolutely taking the piss out of that caller- they're not directed a Joe, the programme in general, the producers, or RTE- they're directed at that caller.

You're a pack of gutless useless idiots with the predatory instincts so similar to the bullying behaviours outlined in the last 2 days radio show.

Wave your ban hammer all you want Catmaniac- but it remains you're a disgrace to this forum. Your actions are indefensible .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

As you have tried to engage with the mod in question, I will make the CMods aware of your thread. Please be patient as one becomes available.

Tokyo wrote: »
    As you have tried to engage with the mod in question, I will make the CMods aware of your thread. Please be patient as one becomes available.

Of course.

So in anticipation of someone looking at this appeal, I'll lay out further context and subsequent PM's post ban, as appropriate:

In answer to the the following PM I sent to Catmaniac post ban:

You didn't ban me for back seat modding- and you know it- and you're furious - for 6 months- since when does someone get 6 months for back-seat modding? Answer- never. A warning or 1 week maybe- 1 month if it's a regular occurrence- but 6 months?

No- I got to you tonight with what I said - because it was true- I called you out. And you didn't like it- you could have simply apologised- but instead you chose cowardice. So be it.

She posted this:
    Catmaniac wrote:
    Believe what you may, but you are off the mark. If you were allowed free reign to post it would be all about me and posters and trying to detail the thread. I don't waste time being furious, far too much going on in my real life to be bothered with trivia here.

I also PM'ed the following:

I've been contributing to the Late Late show TV thread on and off, every Friday, for the last decade- I know exactly what sort of thread the Live Line thread is because it has great similarities to the live line thread- we:

Slag the hosts lack of questioning technique
    Slag the producers
    Slag RTE
    Slag the guests- all the time, especially the ones plugging a book, social media influencers, actors, idiots.
    Slag each other -
    Slag the LEVEL of misery slots every single week

So, so far, we've a lot in common- right?

But we NEVER- we NEVER slag a guest who's appearing on the misery slot- we hardly even reference them unless just to say general things like how brave they are, or how articulate a speaker they are etc- but that's it.

What we DONT do, is take the piss out of them. And you did that, both yourself and your cronies- and you thanked some of those posts that I quoted- so you endorsed this behaviour.

Is this becoming anyways more clear to you or am I wasting my time? I'm not going to say sorry to you because I didn't do anything wrong.

You're contributing to a thread in your own forum as a poster, not a moderator- but very convenient when you want wave a ban hammer at someone when you don't like what they say.

. You need to say sorry to the caller who you offended. That's what you need to do - and do it publicly. But I don't think you'll do that, because you're displaying an awful lot of denial

And she posted this in response:

I banned you for backseat modding and that is what you obviously want to do throughout and would persevere in it, you've made that very clear. It's nothing to do with liking/not liking. I don't know you at all, haven't paid much attention to you either way, so really I have no personal beef at all here.

I am on Boards on foot of that thread, and some others. Modding is voluntary, not a paid job, and not exactly many lining up to do it either.

So, absolutely no apology for the posts or explanation - it's a ban for back-seat modding and that's it.

So, why didn't I report the posts?

These are the key aspects of the Forum charter I wish to draw your attention to:

"Blatant abuse including, but not limited to abuse based on sex, race, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion will not be tolerated."

In particular, personal abuse towards those working in the radio industry (presenters, producers, etc.) OR those appearing as guests/callers on radio shows will not be tolerated. Yes, they have put themselves in a public position and should be open to criticism but we must insist that criticisms be directed toward the radio programme and their skills at producing that programme, not them personally and that those criticisms be made in a civil way (i.e.: not stooping to name calling or vulgarity).

Catmaniac is in breach of pretty much all of the Radio forum charter.- so absolutely no point in reporting posts. there's just so many instances of forum charter breach in the Live Line thread alone from her, that it's just pointless.

I challenged her on thread, because quite simply, because:

My blood was boiling at what I just looked at on that thread-
    some context- - i don't post in the Live line thread (I can't remember ever posting in it)- but I was online after the show looking at the comments because I had listened to the shows over the 2 days for personal reasons related to the topic of the show, and wanted to see what the posters thought.

I chose posts that she thanked, as well as her own, that parodied the callers and presented them to her.

Considering her maverick approach to the forum, I thought she might reply and either provide some explanation or apology. She didn't and instead issued a 6 month ban to me, and to another poster, whom I see is also appealing their ban- that poster was far more eloquent than I was and far more subdued, and still they got a 6 month ban also- hence me calling out Catmaniac in PMs- you don't ban someone for 6 months for back seat modding. It just doesn't happen- so there's exceptional circumstances here that I would like to be taken into account.

Live Line is on Radio 1 RTE from 1.45 to 3pm - the posts I highlighted all occur in the final 15 minutes of the program (from 2.45pm onwards) - if you care to listen to take the time, and follow the thread posts, you'll get the full gist of post comments in sync with the show itself.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2021/0305/1201228-liveline-friday-5-march-2021/?clipid=103611608#103611608

I await your reply.

thanks.
    Plenty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted

Only the OP, CMod, Admin or someone invited by CMod can post in threads in this forum

Hi there- just checking if there’s an update on when a C mod will look at this query or has it been referred to an Admin or payed boards employee?

Thanks
    Plenty

• Advertisement

Only reason I ask is:
    1. It’s been 1 week since I appeared here and
    2. It appears that another moderator on the Radio forum has ruled out “bigoted, sexist and racist comments”- great, but that still leaves parodying abuse victim callers and homophobia

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116565480&postcount=1400

Maybe this needs boards.ie @Mark, Shield, Spear, Niamh?

I think I’ve been quite patient considering it’s been 1 week and the level of abuse directed at abuse victims
    How much time exactly do you guys need to shut down abusive radio comments?

Hi PlentyOhToole,

Sorry for the delay in this - it's for the CMod to review, not the mod, so signs of mod activity on the site are not relevant. I'll take a look into this now.

Thanks Tokyo

Hi Tokyo did you get a chance to review over the last week?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will look into this. Just give me some time to travel home.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    I will look into this. Just give me some time to travel home.

OK-are we talking days or weeks? Looks like you might be down under or something -Just so I know

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OK-are we talking days or weeks? Looks like you might be down under or something -Just so I know

Thanks

I have now read through the above.

Let me make it clear that in this forum the actions of Catmaniac, or other posters, are not being investigated except for how they impact on the ban which you appealing.

If I understand it correctly you are not denying that you were Backseat Modding but rather that in this case it was acceptable?

You are also questioning the length of the subsequent ban.

Is this a summary of what we are looking at here?

I have now read through the above.

Let me make it clear that in this forum the actions of Catmaniac, or other posters, are not being investigated except for how they impact on the ban which you appealing.

If I understand it correctly you are not denying that you were Backseat Modding but rather that in this case it was acceptable?

You are also questioning the length of the subsequent ban.

Is this a summary of what we are looking at here?
    I understand that-thanks.
    I’m not claiming what I did was “acceptable”- my post for which I got banned was an honest and unavoidable reaction to all of the circumstances outlined above that affected me personally having just listened to the 2 days of radio shows about this topic prior to seen these gross posts.
    Any reasonable person would have done similar given the circumstances . And Yes I would also like to review duration of ban if not willing to overturn it.
    Thanks

I understand that-thanks.
    I’m not claiming what I did was “acceptable”- my post for which I got banned was an honest and unavoidable reaction to all of the circumstances outlined above that affected me personally having just listened to the 2 days of radio shows about this topic prior to seen these gross posts.
    Any reasonable person would have done similar given the circumstances . And Yes I would also like to review duration of ban if not willing to overturn it.
    Thanks

While I sympathise with you being upset as I too have been a victim of bullying. Mine was workplace to the point I now have PTSD and was then fired for having a mental illness. So I get it.

However kicking off on here is not the right thing to do and I think you have acknowledged that. I do thank you for owning that. It would also follow that you agree that some sanction was justified.

I am yet to look further into this. To establish what I would consider a fair penalty the next step is to examine your record and the circumstances of the ban.

Does this seem acceptable?

While I sympathise with you being upset as I too have been a victim of bullying. Mine was workplace to the point I now have PTSD and was then fired for having a mental illness. So I get it.

However kicking off on here is not the right thing to do and I think you have acknowledged that. I do thank you for owning that. It would also follow that you agree that some sanction was justified.

I am yet to look further into this. To establish what I would consider a fair penalty the next step is to examine your record and the circumstances of the ban.

Does this seem acceptable?

Very acceptable and thanks for your reply- it’s very empathetic and I’m sorry to hear of your own past experiences- I hope you’re doing OK and getting the support where you need it.
    I understand you have to separate out the issues here and treat just the specifics of a ban appeal. You’ll be glad to hear I’ve no “but” to add to that sentence.

Certainly wish I’d gone about it differently but as I say, it was a “genuine” response- I’d no skin in the game in terms of the thread or the forum- it was more a shocked response to what I was seen. But I understand also that it’s not an “acceptable” response from a process perspective.

I’ll await your reply- thanks.

Very acceptable and thanks for your reply- it’s very empathetic and I’m sorry to hear of your own past experiences- I hope you’re doing OK and getting the support where you need it.
    I understand you have to separate out the issues here and treat just the specifics of a ban appeal. You’ll be glad to hear I’ve no “but” to add to that sentence.

Certainly wish I’d gone about it differently but as I say, it was a “genuine” response- I’d no skin in the game in terms of the thread or the forum- it was more a shocked response to what I was seen. But I understand also that it’s not an “acceptable” response from a process perspective.

I’ll await your reply- thanks.

Thanks
    It appears we are on the same sheet.

My own situation is ongoing. I only raised that to say I understand your situation and how things can escalate.

The next step is to go over the relevant background and work out what’s fair.

Thanks CabanSail.

As a precursor to my sentence, which is likely to be decided at this point, and which I await, and willing to accept, without appeal, I've this to say:

1. I apologise to Catmaniac - I think this thread is unfair and too far to you- it was an exceptional circumstance- while never intended as personal, and only a response to moderation in general, your name obviously got caught up as the central protagonist- I hold no grudge at all to you. My intention was purely to "right a wrong". I see recently you've decided to hand in your notice as mod- If you feel up to it, I encourage you to continue to moderate the forum. You obviously enjoy doing that. I've no "buts' to add to that sentence either- I'm just hoping that maybe you're seen things differently now also.

2. I hope something good will come of this situation for the Radio forum overall, and that all will learn something. I've learned that it's not really effective to go about things the way I did and maybe it hurts people in real life- I certainly don't want that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted

Please note other users or mods are not to post in DRP threads unless invited to do so by a Cmod or Admin

I have consulted with Catmaniac to get the background of this matter. She has been very helpful, compassionate and understanding.

It seems clear to me the OP was triggered by some issues that were being raised at the time. This lead to things being said which were unfortunate and directed at the wrong people. Apologies have now been made and accepted.

I feel like this is the last 5 minutes of some awful Sitcom where all the characters are reflecting on what they have learned.

An initial ban of Six Months did seem excessive but it definitely got attention. It has served a purpose but is now too harsh. Regardless of the amends made there was real pain and hurt. I propose that the ban be reduced to One Month but if there is a repeat it be a permanent forum ban.

If something like this triggers you again there are other avenues you can follow where you will be listened to and work things out.

Good luck to all involved and thank you.

• Advertisement

Thanks CabinSail-you can mark this as resolved.

Thank you both. PlentyOhToole - a month long ban would expire on 6/4/21. I you message me around then, I'll lift your ban with a mod note stating that it was reduced.

Marking this as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement