Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batter a Garda, walk out of court before your victim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Drugs drugs drugs !!! The idea that we will solve crime by eliminating drug use is the prevailing basis of how our Gardaí and courts operate. Yet shoplifting, anti social behaviour, vandalism, bike theft, intimidation and assaults are out of control but every court is full of young people up on simple Cannabis possession charges. Prisons are full of Cannabis sellers and growers. Dublin is for Heroin what Amsterdam is for Cannabis and I take no joy in saying that as I believe Dublin as a city has been consistently badly run by a rural dominated political establishment. I read an article last night in which foreign shop owners and workers described the incidents that they have to put up with on a daily basis and I was disgusted, there's no glory for the Gardaí in tackling these issues especially when our heads in the cloud politicians push the drugs narrative.

I'm not sure that we're locking up that many growers and dealers but I agree that if we're going to be choosing to let people out due to lack of prison space, we should be letting out non-violent people who aren't thieves. Instead of judges letting Anto off for mugging a granny because of full prisons, I'd rather they release mr/ms Nguyen to make room for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

McMurphy wrote: »
    There should be mandatory minimum sentences for phyisical assault on members of AGS, which rise substantially depending on the nature of the assault etc.

No wonder the little shîts walk around like they're untouchable and turn complete sections of towns and citys into no-go areas for everyone else, including sometimes even the cops.

There is already specific legislation for assaults on emergency personnel, but it's rarely if ever used. Absolutely no idea why, it makes no sense to not use this every time a Garda is assaulted.
    Law wrote:
    Secion 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994

19.—(1) Any person who—

(a) assaults a peace officer acting in the execution of the peace officer's duty, knowing that he is, or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, or

(b) assaults any other person acting in the aid of a peace officer, or

(c) assaults any other person with intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detention of himself or any other person for any offence,

shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) shall be liable—

(a) having elected for summary disposal of the offence, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or to both,

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

(3) Any person who resists or wilfully obstructs a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty or a person assisting a peace officer in the execution of his duty, knowing that he is or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Reports like this remind of one of the reasons I quit. There's no point when your own bosses won't support you, and the judiciary couldn't care less and are more worried about the criminals/scumbags feelings.

There is already specific legislation for assaults on emergency personnel, but it's rarely if ever used. Absolutely no idea why, it makes no sense to not use this every time a Garda is assaulted.

Reports like this remind of one of the reasons I quit. There's no point when your own bosses won't support you, and the judiciary couldn't care less and are more worried about the criminals/scumbags feelings.

It's a summery offence. S3 assault isn't

Drugs drugs drugs !!! The idea that we will solve crime by eliminating drug use is the prevailing basis of how our Gardaí and courts operate. Yet shoplifting, anti social behaviour, vandalism, bike theft, intimidation and assaults are out of control but every court is full of young people up on simple Cannabis possession charges. Prisons are full of Cannabis sellers and growers. Dublin is for Heroin what Amsterdam is for Cannabis and I take no joy in saying that as I believe Dublin as a city has been consistently badly run by a rural dominated political establishment. I read an article last night in which foreign shop owners and workers described the incidents that they have to put up with on a daily basis and I was disgusted, there's no glory for the Gardaí in tackling these issues especially when our heads in the cloud politicians push the drugs narrative.

Bull****. There's **** all cannabis dealers in jail and **** all s3 charges on their own.

Clear agenda on your part

It's a summery offence. S3 assault isn't

It doesn't have to be:

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

I'd imagine it was written for summary for the lad who throws a slap or two. For lads like this little scrote, he should be brought up on indictment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

McMurphy wrote: »
    There should be mandatory minimum sentences for phyisical assault on members of AGS, which rise substantially depending on the nature of the assault etc.

No wonder the little shîts walk around like they're untouchable and turn complete sections of towns and citys into no-go areas for everyone else, including sometimes even the cops.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing vigilantes in the future. It'll come to ahead when the wrong person gets attacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Bull****. There's **** all cannabis dealers in jail and **** all s3 charges on their own.

Typical response from someone like you. Anti social crime is out of control and it doesn't even warrant a response from you. Seems it doesn't concern you considering you're on here pretending to be a Garda. Any talk about Cannabis taking up a huge bulk of policing and judiciary time is completely ignored by your kind as it is obvious that in rural areas it is the bread and butter of the criminal cases in the District Courts.
    And you actually claim there is **** all Cannabis dealers in jail. Are you on drugs yourself ? If you expect me and other posters to believe that...

Never see ye cracking down on Heroin in the manner that it deserves either. Everybody who spends time in Dublin city centre on a regular basis knows ye do nothing about it.

Your aggressive response is that of a person who is not fit to wear any uniform of this state. I'll finish with a line from Scarface, "Whoever said you was a cop."

I was a bit curious about this. I thought most cannabis convictions ended with a donation to the poor box. Still, I would wonder how many people we have in jail for nonviolent crimes.

It doesn't have to be:

I'd imagine it was written for summary for the lad who throws a slap or two. For lads like this little scrote, he should be brought up on indictment.

Possible so

I was a bit curious about this. I thought most cannabis convictions ended with a donation to the poor box. Still, I would wonder how many people we have in jail for nonviolent crimes.

Theft is non violent. Burglary is non violent. Serious drug dealing is non violent.

The only time a pickpocket will see a jail cell for any length of time is when they have dozens of charges and are prolific.

It's very frustrating to have a spate of crimes in unison with a prolific offender on tr after serving **** all of their actual sentence. Especially when that tr is for Christmas but instead of heading home, the go and Nick the Christmas money from a mother's handbag.

Compared to a drunken fight that resulted in losing a tooth for example.

Non violent doesn't mean lesser victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Typical response from someone like you. Anti social crime is out of control and it doesn't even warrant a response from you. Seems it doesn't concern you considering you're on here pretending to be a Garda. Any talk about Cannabis taking up a huge bulk of policing and judiciary time is completely ignored by your kind as it is obvious that in rural areas it is the bread and butter of the criminal cases in the District Courts.
    And you actually claim there is **** all Cannabis dealers in jail. Are you on drugs yourself ? If you expect me and other posters to believe that...

Never see ye cracking down on Heroin in the manner that it deserves either. Everybody who spends time in Dublin city centre on a regular basis knows ye do nothing about it.

Your aggressive response is that of a person who is not fit to wear any uniform of this state. I'll finish with a line from Scarface, "Whoever said you was a cop."

Can you provide any stats or evidence of that cannabis possession is the bread and butter of rural policing and that prisons are full of cannabis dealers? Or is something you've clearly made up?

Whatever you say. Be sure to give me a shout when you pass out and are ready to show me how it's done.

I look forward to your stats to back your argument.

Theft is non violent. Burglary is non violent. Serious drug dealing is non violent.

The only time a pickpocket will see a jail cell for any length of time is when they have dozens of charges and are prolific.

It's very frustrating to have a spate of crimes in unison with a prolific offender on tr after serving **** all of their actual sentence. Especially when that tr is for Christmas but instead of heading home, the go and Nick the Christmas money from a mother's handbag.

Compared to a drunken fight that resulted in losing a tooth for example.

Non violent doesn't mean lesser victim.

I don't disagree and I should have included that. Thieves of all sorts should be kept locked up in the same way as violent offenders. Especially burglars, who I believe should have no rights while on their victims' property.

Can you provide any stats or evidence of that cannabis possession is the bread and butter of rural policing and that prisons are full of cannabis dealers? Or is something you've clearly made up?

I'm starting to think that there may be some confusion between the USA and Ireland, a mhuinteoir. I don't think custodial sentences for cannabis are common here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

I'm starting to think that there may be some confusion between the USA and Ireland, a mhuinteoir. I don't think custodial sentences for cannabis are common here.

your right it isnt common unless its a large amount and i do mean large or there are multiple previous

the other poster is just having a ACAB rant

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An attack on a Garda should be viewed for what it is... an attack on the state.

They are happening too often.

Google and you will see the majority don’t result in custodial sentences. You will read plenty about their attackers being ‘victims’.. because of perceived issues in their family life, addiction, poverty, whatever....

Also...If a Garda is assaulted now in o’Connell St, us law abiders and decent citizens have to pay for their hospital treatment, the overtime for their replacement as they recover....

Yet... “ but but but he’s from a deprived background, he didn’t have this, that, a ps5, ...he’s getting his life together now “... so... fûcking... what ??? He / she committed a serious crime, let him / her be punished.

Fûck off and do your job, judiciary in this country are such creeps ... this place is idiotville.

I just can't understand why they won't build another jail. Yes, it's expensive to begin with, and it's not designed (nor should it be) to make money, but it would cover itself in the years to come by saving the millions spent on free legal aid and other expenses racked up by repeat offenders. If they're off the streets, they can't cost more money, and the legal aid system is a very expensive gravy train. I'm convinced it's because there are too many involved in making money from crime detection that they would lose out, and these people have pull with whoever makes the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just can't understand why they won't build another jail. Yes, it's expensive to begin with, and it's not designed (nor should it be) to make money, but it would cover itself in the years to come by saving the millions spent on free legal aid and other expenses racked up by repeat offenders. If they're off the streets, they can't cost more money, and the legal aid system is a very expensive gravy train. I'm convinced it's because there are too many involved in making money from crime detection that they would lose out, and these people have pull with whoever makes the decisions.

Population is growing, will continue to grow. With more people here, more crime is a logical side effect. So we need more prison places.. it’s not rocket science, more prison places to...

1. to act as a deterrent.

2. to protect the good in society from those who would do them and society harm.

I wonder do those is the land of politics and make believe fear loosing votes in certain communities where building prisons will be seen as an ‘attack’ on them and their ‘way of life’...:rolleyes:

Out of my about 4 decades living here barring a brief spell abroad... I’ve never been uneasy about the direction of this country...I am now.. I’m not looking forward to the next 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

A glance at all the varying social media Garda pages would answer your question. The point I originally was making before you read it wrong and reacted like a donkey was that drugs in general are prioritised over the everyday pre drug era crimes such as shoplifting, assaults, burglaries vandalism. Why do these crimes not concern you ? Do these crimes not excite you ? No thrill in catching someone damaging stock and assaulting shopkeepers but waiting hours outside someone's apartment to see who is arriving and leaving to buy a 50 bag of Weed makes some of ye think ye are in Miami Vice.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

1. Scumbag is caught red-handed.
    2. Fee legal aid.
    3. Suspended sentence (hard upbringing etc. etc.)
    4. Scumbag inevitably re-offends.
    5. Return to step 1. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200.

And the cycle continues. A never ending, guaranteed train of work for judges/solicitors.

How many of these scumbags operate in the leafy suburbs inhabited by the judges/solicitors of this world? None.

• Advertisement

A glance at all the varying social media Garda pages would answer your question. The point I originally was making before you read it wrong and reacted like a donkey was that drugs in general are prioritised over the everyday pre drug era crimes such as shoplifting, assaults, burglaries vandalism. Why do these crimes not concern you ? Do these crimes not excite you ? No thrill in catching someone damaging stock and assaulting shopkeepers but waiting hours outside someone's apartment to see who is arriving and leaving to buy a 50 bag of Weed makes some of ye think ye are in Miami Vice.

That's truly terrible evidence. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Again can you provide any evidence that drugs are prioritised over other crime?

This is all in your head pet.
    Maybe something is making you paranoid............... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see Coppinger wants the Garda who shot Nkencho to go on Trial "like Chauvin". She also had a whinge about people not supporting her politically because of her stance. Seems the people might actually be seeing the light here.

You would swear St Geroge of Hartstown was just shot by Gardai for the craic and the incidents leading up to it didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah but even the prisons have been made in to mini Hiltons. It actually looks like more of a reward for some of them.

Home from home.

Really? Locked up... I have never been to either a jail of the Hilton but seen on TV etc. No similarity.

There is a series on youtube re prisons. They have what they need . The days of bread and water are long gone.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really? Locked up... I have never been to either a jail of the Hilton but seen on TV etc. No similarity.

There is a series on youtube re prisons. They have what they need . The days of bread and water are long gone.

They have more then they need.

I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong. They shouldn't be looking at walls all day and if we can turn then around then great but at the same time, it should be a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They have more then they need.

I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong. They shouldn't be looking at walls all day and if we can turn then around then great but at the same time, it should be a punishment.

Loss of liberty is a punishment. Period. Separation from family. And they have no luxuries. You want them on bread and water?

Define " need" please?

And I was responding re the" mini- Hilton " comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Loss of liberty is a punishment. Period. Separation from family. And they have no luxuries. You want them on bread and water?

Define " need" please?

You may want to read up on some of the stuff that is smuggled in/confiscated in prisons here, and some of the amenities they are legitimately given, or the court reports of people with dozens of convictions.

Prison should be a deterrent and harsh for particularly repeat offenders, not the chance to catch up with the lads and taxpayer funded holiday break it often is for these people.

As for their "needs". 3 meals a day, prison labour, and basic recreation/entertainment is all they need. Not Skype calls with the family as I read recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Define " need" please?

Aren't you a fervent supporter of lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭amacca

you are correct...crime it seems does in fact pay for almost everyone except the victim

and it pays highest if you work in the legal profession

Advertisement