Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1999 ZX9R

Options
  • 06-03-2021 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Have a 1999 ZX9R parked up for 10 years approx, has been well looked after and in good order.
    Putting this bike back on the road and have changed oil, oil and air filters, 4xplugs, 2xtyres and battery.
    Starts on the button but after some road, struggles to idle when stopped at lights etc, if left a while comes good and idles fine, some kind of carbs issue I guess?

Also what else should I be looking at after such a long time parked up?

TIA..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Have a 1999 ZX9R parked up for 10 years approx, has been well looked after and in good order.
    Putting this bike back on the road and have changed oil, oil and air filters, 4xplugs, 2xtyres and battery.
    Starts on the button but after some road, struggles to idle when stopped at lights etc, if left a while comes good and idles fine, some kind of carbs issue I guess?

Also what else should I be looking at after such a long time parked up?

TIA..

Carbs probably gunked up. Get them ultrasonic cleaned not too expensive and will have they nice and sparkling.
    Was it parked with fluids in it?
    Maybe have the tank checked for gunk too
    After sitting 10 years I'd be chucking in new pads, disks brake fluid and coolant personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Carbs probably gunked up. Get them ultrasonic cleaned not too expensive and will have they nice and sparkling.
    Was it parked with fluids in it?
    Maybe have the tank checked for gunk too
    After sitting 10 years I'd be chucking in new pads, disks brake fluid and coolant personally.

Thanks, yes was parked with fluids in it, I did flush the tank, and cleaned the tap, all ok. Have new pads but didnt think to change brake fluid, will put it on the list.

The rear shock doesn't look great... do they go off when parked up?

Thanks, yes was parked with fluids in it, I did flush the tank, and cleaned the tap, all ok. Have new pads but didnt think to change brake fluid, will put it on the list.

The rear shock doesn't look great... do they go off when parked up?

Ehm yea they can go bad from lying up, I was half asleep posting so never taught of shocks, I'd personally either get a pro to check it or just replace it personally.
    I'd probably do the front forks too.
    Personally I wouldn't trust any fluid sitting that long so I'd change them all.
    Modern petrol doesn't go off like it did years ago but there probably was sediment in the tank and then any residual petrol in the carbs.
    I'd say she'll run sweet after you've done everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Prob pilot jets partially clogged. Pull the carbs out and watch a decent tutorial on what to do. Might get away with a can of compressed air and carb cleaner. Failing that give to somone for disassembly and sonic cleaning. Where are you? I may be able help.

Brakes are first always in getting a bike back on road. Flush and bleed, pads and discs is a maybe imo if she was outside and hoses be an idea too if original.

Re the shock stand the bike up and bounce the pillion seat down hard and fast. If the shock tops out on the rebound fast and bouncy it's a time for a replacement. Any squeaks means yer linkage or swinger bearings could be goosed.

Just thinking out loud here but does the 98zx9r suffer carb icing, has it a carb heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

H_Lime wrote: »
    Prob pilot jets partially clogged. Pull the carbs out and watch a decent tutorial on what to do. Might get away with a can of compressed air and carb cleaner. Failing that give to somone for disassembly and sonic cleaning. Where are you? I may be able help.

Brakes are first always in getting a bike back on road. Flush and bleed, pads and discs is a maybe imo if she was outside and hoses be an idea too if original.

Re the shock stand the bike up and bounce the pillion seat down hard and fast. If the shock tops out on the rebound fast and bouncy it's a time for a replacement. Any squeaks means yer linkage or swinger bearings could be goosed.

Just thinking out loud here but does the 98zx9r suffer carb icing, has it a carb heater?

Thanks.. carb problem is actually getting worse.. bike is now cutting out sometimes, I'll take the carbs out and see what I can do, if that doesn't help I'll try get them done professionally. Bike runs great on the open road..
    I'll check that shock too. Galway based. Shes a 99 model and no carb heater I'm aware of..

• Advertisement

Thanks.. carb problem is actually getting worse.. bike is now cutting out sometimes, I'll take the carbs out and see what I can do, if that doesn't help I'll try get them done professionally. Bike runs great on the open road..
    I'll check that shock too. Galway based. Shes a 99 model and no carb heater I'm aware of..

Rip out the carbs send them off for an ultrasonic cleaning and have them throw in new seals and gaskets for good measure. They'll obviously recalibrate/balance it properly that might do the job.
    It's a long time for a carb to sit up and rubber.
    Have a listen for the fuel pump, mate of mines went bike still ran but obviously wasn't pushing the right amount of fuel through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Check you carb rubbers too, both between the carbs and the head and carbs and airbox. They might be perished and porous. Often when a heavy draw comes on them they close up, but at idle, they are no taught so can leak.

All those bikes were very sensitive if the air ducts weren't properly sealed. Worth checking too.

But, most likely you've got it with a deep clean for the carbs.

Advertisement