Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart IR controller

• 06-03-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one of these for the sitting room for the tv and sound bar.

Has anyone any experience how good they are or recommend anyone in particular?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By all accounts the Harmony is the best, I tried them years ago and couldn't get used to them, too finkey and never got it setup right. I put everything through the Shield now and the 1 remote does everything for me

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

My plan is to just use an old phone.

That way can control lights , sockets and tv through it

I've shield as well , but have to turn on tv first with tv remote , the sound bar powers on with it but powers off after inactivity so have to use it then.

Want to be able to put all the remotes away and just have phone out to cover everything

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My plan is to just use an old phone.

That way can control lights , sockets and tv through it

I've shield as well , but have to turn on tv first with tv remote , the sound bar powers on with it but powers off after inactivity so have to use it then.

Want to be able to put all the remotes away and just have phone out to cover everything

I had a tablet setup to just act as a controller, i kept on forgetting to charge it. I've a fairly simple TV setup though, TV with Saor View & Freesat, Shield for online stuff, sound bar is connected to the TV via SPDIF and I've a Google Max connected to the Shield. It's very rare that I use the sound bar or Max, joys of children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use the Harmony. Took a bit of setting up, but now I have it controlling the TV, Shield, Blu-ray player, and Virgin Horizon box. All the original remotes are put away, and everyone happily uses the Harmony.
    Also have it set to control the Xbox 360, the lights and a couple of sockets.

After the Shield itself, it's probably the best gadget I've bought for the house.

Do you have a link to the one you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It’s the Harmony Elite: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/harmony/harmony-elite.html

Have it just over 2 years (got it on sale as it’s not cheap), wouldn’t be without it.

It’s the Harmony Elite: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/harmony/harmony-elite.html

Have it just over 2 years (got it on sale as it’s not cheap), wouldn’t be without it.

Ouch that's pricey , cheers though

The Harmony is the mutts nutts in fairness, its often on sale so I'd say keep an eye out for it to drop in price and pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Got 1 of these from Amazon for £15, use it for turning on the TV and soundbar via Amazon echo voice command, Works a treat.

Broadlink Smart Home Hub, RM Mini3 Smart Wi-Fi IR Universal Remote Control, One for All Infrared Controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

• Advertisement
Advertisement