Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH and DDWRT based router

Options
  • 06-03-2021 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

we recently switched to Eir fibre to the home.
    We were happy with eir eFibre (DSL) for many years, we hadnt had a service outage in many years, speed was ok, no need to switch providers.
    Fibre works well, speeds as advertised, no complains.

Apart from that poxy router, eir fibre box (a Sagemcom CS50001 if I'm not mistaken) and I would like to use my own router.

I have a trusty unit, running custom firmware DD-WRT that i'm reasonably familiar with, i found some how-to's online (Finbar's and a few others), and tried the steps outlined..
    My understanding is, that it sould be simple, DHCP auto config on the WAN port, VLAN10 on WAN port in the switch config and that should really be it. (credentials shouldnt be necessary on fibre, i tried using them, made no difference)

But it doesnt work.
    the link is negotiated as 1gig, but i dont get an IP on the WAN port. if i switch back to the eir router, everything works fine again.

Has anyone managed to setup a DDWRT router with eir fibre to the home successful?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

for anyone that comes across this post like i did...

I have a netgear r7000 and r7800, both connected to Eir with the netgear firmware, but I couldn't get ddwrt to work. Turns out I was trying too hard :)

I got it to work on the latest firmware (02/24/22). My error at least was in thinking I needed to adjust adjust the "setup > switch config" page - you don't. The default wan/lan assignments to vlans **named** 1 and 0 respectively works fine.

Instead, under "setup" - "networking" - "vlan tagging";

1. Tag the wan interface (in my case eth0) with the vlan ID (not name) "10". Save & Apply (I also had to do a page refresh to update the WAN Port list)
    2. Set the correct "WAN Port Assignment" on the same page - this should be "<wan interface>.10". in my case eth0.10. Save & reboot should get you connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

Hello:

Have a R8500 but couldn't manage... any chance you could post screenshots of that menu?

Wondering why your wan interface is eth0... in my router, the networking pane has vlan2 as the WAN port, same as in the router, physically.

wondering why do you have en0 ?

I'd try to upgrade the firmware to the latest, that could also help.

Advertisement