Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You know when you search one thing on the internet and it leads on to the next

• 06-03-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭

I was curious if boards.ie had ever been sued for libel. Given the fact that there are many contentious statements made that are at times left unchecked or tacitly accepted . Where it is ether posters and/or moderators or have lost the run if themselves in the white heat of discussion and fun.

So I typed in 'boards.ie sued for libel' no quotation marks. To see what would pop up.

I use 'Duck Duck go' search provider.

This is what appeared in the top three results:

GF5GUpg.jpg

Then of course I clicked on link titled: Banned From Boards.ie
    from a website called 'Political Irish'

https://www.politicalirish.com/threads/banned-from-boards-ie.31361/page-4

There were some fairly scathing comments about boards.ie.

Apparently the moderators all have beards are rabid lefties? According to this 'policial Irish messageboard'.

Surely not true? I said to myself then I looked up boards.ie on wiki.

And there could be some potential libelous material in certain threads - Gemma O'Doherty mentioned. A thread I do not frequent. So I don't know. But having viewed other threads and how fantic it gets. Someday someone in the public eye could make a killing financially in a few clicks?

Apparently, in 1998, John "Cloud" Breslin created a single forum to enable discussion amongst Irish users of the id Software game Quake.

So it has gaming origins. Fair enough. But what do I think of when I think of gamers? Tubby lads with beards sort of like comic book guy in the Simpsons.
    Maybe lads who wear scarves indoors/

Is there a grain of truth to it or have those days changed much? 20 years on.

Apparently is now aimed at more general audience'. But does a hard core of its founding fathers remain? With the same roots and outlook?

At least I found boards.ie/distilled media (https://distilledsch.ie/) have never been sued for libel. Only from a cursory search. Which was the reason I searched in the the first place.

Touchwood.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

You're one of those far right lads, are you?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You registered your account in 2007, and yet you’re posting like you only came across Boards last month and the whole thing is new to you. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You're one of those far right lads, are you?..

Ah yeah completely. Nope I am right down the middle neither left or right. Nor is my head shaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You registered your account in 2007, and yet you’re posting like you only came across Boards last month and the whole thing is new to you. Odd.

I did not use boards at all between 2007 and approx 2013. As I wasn't arsed with it too busy.

Plus for years I just stuck to GAA forums.

So it is not really that odd, no. Before I would not be bothered having a nose around about the sites background. But I am curious now as to its culture ethos and make up. Is there a clear direction or bias, had boards ever got itself in trouble regarding same. Curious that's all.

Plus in this day and age where posts could be shared on so much other social media. I am surprised boards.ie had remained unscathed. Conspiracy theorists in the times that are in it are also potential libel cases waiting to happen in the times that are in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I recently got banned from boards.ie within 90 seconds for being a rereg
    its like getting kicked out of a kylie minogue concert. who cares ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Yes, you are indeed correct. Boards was set up by a bunch of tubby neck-beard commies who like to wear scarves indoors while playing Quake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Quake. Great game.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Quake. Great game.

If you rearrange the letters in QUAKE, and change a few of them, you get BEARDED PINKO SCARF MEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Apparently, in 1998, John "Cloud" Breslin created a single forum to enable discussion amongst Irish users of the id Software game Quake.

So it has gaming origins. Fair enough.

That will come as an awful shock to certain posters here who have a weird distain for gaming culture....

Advertisement