Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The journal

Options
  • 06-03-2021 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Some woke news outlet, you can't leave a comment on anything thats a bit touchy in the country... at least boards will let you have a discussion ...yay or nay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

The journal comment section leaves me looking forward to death..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Comments sections are almost exclusively inhabited by idiots. Don't let yourself get dragged into it. Run while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Journal close comments primarily because they don't want the subject or group of people in the article getting criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

THE BIG BUSINESS LOBBY GROUPS CERTAINLY DON'T WANT ANOTHER ELECTION. THEY ARE TOAST IF THAT HAPPENS BECAUSE OF THEIR WOKE IDEALS AND HOW THEY RUINED THE SPICY CHICKEN FILLET ROLL.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

They'll allow comments on a shooting in Dublin but won't allow any on woke subjects like trans, traveler crime, etc. or anything which could land them in court such as John Delaney. It's pathetic really. No divergence from the official covid narrative either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comment sections are turned off if there is any chance that what the article is discussing is sub judice.

Today, anything to do with the Cork protests has that risk, as there have been arrests and will presumably be prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

the journal serves only one purpose...thats to create division in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Nozebleed wrote: »

... or to employ cheap amateur journos whilst avoiding expensive lawyer problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It used to just copy stories from better news outlets, does it do mostly it’s own stuff now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Normal One wrote: »
    ... or to employ cheap amateur journos whilst avoiding expensive lawyer problems :D

You're being decent calling them Journos. Some of them aren't even related to a journalist

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Comment sections are turned off if there is any chance that what the article is discussing is sub judice.

Correct. But they tend to close comments on a lot more than that.
    And in some cases, comments remain closed long after a court case is settled.

Yet, Facebook pages for the likes of the Irish Times and Independent can accept comments on ongoing cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Aren't the Journal and boards owned by the same group?

Actually yep.

https://www.thejournal.ie/about-us/

"In 2018 Boards.ie, Ireland’s largest online community forum, joined the Journal Media family"

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

They tend to ban racist, homophobic, transphobic, weird conspiracy theory type comments yeah. I can see how that would bother some people who hold those views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

When I put up a link to SFs open border policy I was banned, removed and no reason given.

Tried messaging them but was just ignored.

It's a left wing news outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The gript ran a story recently about the journal had posted fact checked stories that weren't actually checked if I read correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

They tend to ban racist, homophobic, transphobic, weird conspiracy theory type comments yeah. I can see how that would bother some people who hold those views.

I'm gay ....fantaiscool don't be telling me as a guy person what I can comment on stay in your lane... you seem to be one of these offended people over everything ... not all gay people agree in this weird conspiracy theory you talk about ... and as a gay person please don't be white knighting for us all... hugs and kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

... and as a gay person please don't be white knighting for us all... hugs and kisses

LOL. That sound you hear is a one-dimensional little brain exploding 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I avoid the Journal like the plague.
    Full of sensationalist rubbish designed to catch the gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I'd imagine their ad revenue is decimated, don't be surprised if it goes under within the next year. It cannot be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Correct. But they tend to close comments on a lot more than that.
    And in some cases, comments remain closed long after a court case is settled.

Yet, Facebook pages for the likes of the Irish Times and Independent can accept comments on ongoing cases.

They're never going to go back and reopen comments on old articles

Facebook is responsible for posts there, and are vastly richer than any media organisation should they get sued.
    Gatling wrote: »
    The gript ran a story recently about the journal had posted fact checked stories that weren't actually checked if I read correctly

Gript is not a news source to believe, for anything, ever. Its not actually a news source, its Youth Defences blog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's basically a place for sadists and masochists to get each other off, the left wing journos write articles to torture their right wing comment section, who profess to hate it, but can't stop themselves coming back for more.

It's sick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's basically a place for sadists and masochists to get each other off, the left wing journos write articles to torture their right wing comment section, who profess to hate it, but can't stop themselves coming back for more.

It's sick

Political mutual masturbation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You're being decent calling them Journos. Some of them aren't even related to a journalist

Job Spec:

Ability to operate CTRL+C. CTRL+V functions would be an advantage.

Jokeshop of a site.

• Used to be my go to app. But nowadays an absolute steaming pile of ****e. May check it once every 3 days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Actually, nope.

Boards is on its own again. In case you missed the announcement here in December. No longer connected to Journal Media. I just think the respective bits of each site have yet to be updated.
    Aren't the Journal and boards owned by the same group?

Actually yep.

https://www.thejournal.ie/about-us/

"In 2018 Boards.ie, Ireland’s largest online community forum, joined the Journal Media family"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nozebleed wrote: »

And supply experts to Matt Coopers The Last Word.

Gatling wrote: »

Well gript would certainly know about publishing bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Shield wrote: »
    Actually, nope.

Boards is on its own again. In case you missed the announcement here in December. No longer connected to Journal Media. I just think the respective bits of each site have yet to be updated.

Haven't heard anything about the initiatives mentioned in that post since. Or possibly I just missed the posts?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

L1011 wrote: »
    They're never going to go back and reopen comments on old articles

I am not referring to old articles.

They have posted new features relating to concluded / historic cases and still turned off the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Shield wrote: »
    Actually, nope.

But ultimately, aren't Boards and The Journal both still owned by Tom, Distilled SCH and Daft.ie?

I think the founder John Breslin has completely moved on, not sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement