Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training pyracantha - tripod

Options
  • 06-03-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I planted out a pyracantha that was bought in a pot and is tied/ twisted around a tripod of bamboo canes , about 4 feet high, just the way it came when bought. I'll post an image if i can figure out how.
    It seems to be 3 separate main shoots, tied into the bamboo in multiple place with a soft kind of plastic tape. but didn't try to separate them when planting.
    I was wondering if that kind of tieing will restrict its growth? Is the tripod thing just done for when it's in a pot, and now I should untie it all and let the side shoots come free?
    I want some lateral growth but mainly want it to grow higher and spread out laterally above its current height to provide some privacy screening.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

You should untie it from the bamboo - the green tape (as far as I know) is just to prevent plant damage when it's being transported.

The bamboo could be fanned out in a "V" shape, with the pyracantha tied in with twine, to spread the growth a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Yep, the wire and bamboo are that way to keep it nice and compact for sale.

Pyracantha is very easy to train. The stems are fairly flexible so you can carefully fan them out to cover the area you want. I fix heavy galvanised wire to the wall (with wall plugs and eye screws) and tie the stems back to that. Mine do better if I leave the top 18" of a vertical stem untied and then tie them back horizontally once they put on some decent growth. I like mine to look a little wild, so I just keep the stems growing out from the wall pruned. I've seen others trained like grape vines and they look very strking when the berrys are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Very helpful, thanks

Advertisement