Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fritz7530 and bridge mode

Options
  • 06-03-2021 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Am thinking of getting Digiweb and that comes with their fritzbox. I need to keep my landline number, so I need VOIP on the fritz, and I want to keep using my existing Asus router. I rang digiweb and asked can I run my Asus in bridge while connecting the landline to the fritz. And I did my own google-ing:
    • According to digiweb tech, will work, we can help you if it doesnt.
    • one internet search, not possible on the fritz
    • another internet search, ya no problem
    Has anyone experience with the above set up or just advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

I've done this but set the Asus router in AP mode and let the Fritzbox do everything else. All the Asus does is provide WiFi.

Set the IP address of the Asus on the same subnet as the FritzBox and the default gateway as the IP of the FritzBox. Disable WiFi on the FritzBox and enable on your Asus router - job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am thinking of getting Digiweb and that comes with their fritzbox. I need to keep my landline number, so I need VOIP on the fritz, and I want to keep using my existing Asus router. I rang digiweb and asked can I run my Asus in bridge while connecting the landline to the fritz. And I did my own google-ing:
    • According to digiweb tech, will work, we can help you if it doesnt.
    • one internet search, not possible on the fritz
    • another internet search, ya no problem
    Has anyone experience with the above set up or just advice?

I looked online and says you will need to enable PPPoE Passthrough on the Fritzbox in the Internet Connection section. https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-configure-my-fritzbox-in-bridge-mode.html

fritzbox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

trant wrote: »
    I've done this but set the Asus router in AP mode and let the Fritzbox do everything else. All the Asus does is provide WiFi.

Set the IP address of the Asus on the same subnet as the FritzBox and the default gateway as the IP of the FritzBox. Disable WiFi on the FritzBox and enable on your Asus router - job done.
    Sorry long reply time, can you confirm if you plugged something with an ethernet cable into the ASUS would that also work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

jogdish wrote: »
    Sorry long reply time, can you confirm if you plugged something with an ethernet cable into the ASUS would that also work ?

Yes, LAN ports on both the FritzBox and Asus both work, but the FritzBox issues IP address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Hi Folks,

Planning to go with pure telecom for fibre broadband, I already have an Asus ZenWiFi CT8 mesh which I use with the virgin hub running in bridge mode.

Is there a preferred way of connecting to the Asus - looks like there are two options ppoe passthrough or ap mode , is one better than the other?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement