Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core i7 11700K review leak Anandtech

Options
  • 07-03-2021 1:23am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why they broke NDA releasing benchmarks well before the NDA expires

Intel Core i7-11700K Review: Blasting Off with Rocket Lake (anandtech.com)

Basically on average worse gaming performance than the old generation, but will function nicely as a space heater if your room is cold. We can all assume this wont launch cheaper than you can get an 10700K so for a game system, whats the point in buying it? PCI-E 4.0? PCI-E 3.0 isn't even close to saturated yet. Maybe in the next 5-10 years we might benefit from PCI-E 4.0. You could benefit with a Gen 4 Nvme though

I've been looking to upgrade my i7 3820 over the last few months. Should have just grabbed a 10th gen intel at a great price or pay way over retail for a Ryzen 5900x

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Moved from Comp & Tech

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

On the one hand, nothing wrong with breaking NDAs that only exist to artificially limit consumer knowledge before street date - all the tech companies do it so that people buy products without having seen reviews beforehand. And Ananadtech did nothing illegal, the CPUs were available to buy in Germany.

OTOH this screws over all their review competitors who are adhering to embargo.

As for upgrade: you can still buy 10850K (10c HT) for 380euro, though if it's just for gaming a 10600K or KF (6c HT) for 190 is a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    On the one hand, nothing wrong with breaking NDAs that only exist to artificially limit consumer knowledge before street date - all the tech companies do it so that people buy products without having seen reviews beforehand. And Ananadtech did nothing illegal, the CPUs were available to buy in Germany.

OTOH this screws over all their review competitors who are adhering to embargo.

As for upgrade: you can still buy 10850K (10c HT) for 380euro, though if it's just for gaming a 10600K or KF (6c HT) for 190 is a better buy.

You can get a 9900K on Amazon for £198 as well. Not sure how that compares to the 10600 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Well, on the PCIe 4.0 issue, you will benefit from it soon enough. I'd say 3-4 years at the most. Could be earlier. DirectStorage is coming and Gen 3.0 devices are not confirmed as supported at all. This is the PC's response to the console's newer technology that allows for much better access to the storage devices. This will matter and could become a hardware limitation on playing some game or not. I'd be careful selecting your next system if you intend to hang onto if for a bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

slade_x wrote: »

It's not a leak by Anandtech and they didn't break NDA. Mindfactory.de shipped these out early, which is where they obtained it, and once it's in the wild, the NDA is no longer applicable.

NDAs often have clauses that allow for publishing under such conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

I've been looking to upgrade my i7 3820 over the last few months. Should have just grabbed a 10th gen intel at a great price or pay way over retail for a Ryzen 5900x

The AM4 platform is end of life at this stage. You might get one more generation of processors if you buy a B550 or X570 board. So no AMD advantage there.

However the 5900X is much more performant (depending on your workload) and is not a space heater, so it's really up to you if you wanna spend the extra for that.

AMD do MSRP stock drops on Thursday afternoons weekly, the 5900X is still almost impossible to get, but it should get easier as the weeks go by. The 5800X is almost nominally in stock and the 5600X is getting slightly easier to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is Intel still trying to milk old Betsy?

Thing is, I don't mind using Intel, with all its drawbacks, if they would price it right. They clearly lost performance, power draw and thermal race, but they still want to price their stuff like they are still a monopoly.

Slash the prices for budget pc builders and it will sell. Right now its like buying a new car and you have a choice from two. One is normal car and the other one has one flat tyre, 2 broken windows, radiator missing and someone peed on rear seat. Both priced very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They clearly lost performance, power draw and thermal race,

I'm wondering why. Still on 14nm, still on a ring bus architecture, a slight improvement to onboard graphics. How is this gen so bad in comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Danftant

Intel in 3 benchmarks
    outperform AMD Ryzen 9 5900 X innsingle core gaming test

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Danftant wrote: »
    Intel in 3 benchmarks
    outperform AMD Ryzen 9 5900 X innsingle core gaming test

Does single core even matter much anymore? More and more games benefit from more cores.
    At this point Intel just pushing these old cpus to go only one direction: single core performance. No matter what cost. And we see cost is high already.

Again undercut AMD and you got a seller as most of us look at performance per euro, not a brand loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does single core even matter much anymore? More and more games benefit from more cores.
    At this point Intel just pushing these old cpus to go only one direction: single core performance. No matter what cost. And we see cost is high already.

Again undercut AMD and you got a seller as most of us look at performance per euro, not a brand loyalty.

It will run Crysis better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can get a 9900K on Amazon for £198 as well. Not sure how that compares to the 10600 though.

Where is this 9900K for £198? I just paid £250 for a 9700K and thought it was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

stimpson wrote: »
    Where is this 9900K for £198? I just paid €150 for a 9700K and thought it was a bargain.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/intel-core-i9-9900-coffee-lake-r-lga115131ghz16m-processor-ps19752-delivered-at-amazon-3681719

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Intel Core i7-11700K Review: Blasting Off with Rocket Lake (anandtech.com)

Basically on average worse gaming performance than the old generation, but will function nicely as a space heater if your room is cold. We can all assume this wont launch cheaper than you can get an 10700K so for a game system, whats the point in buying it? PCI-E 4.0? PCI-E 3.0 isn't even close to saturated yet. Maybe in the next 5-10 years we might benefit from PCI-E 4.0. You could benefit with a Gen 4 Nvme though

From what I understand the NDA is only applicable if they were sent a unit to review by Intel and not one they have bought.

The chip is already available to buy in Germany. I think it's the mindfactory.de site that were selling them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Advertisement