Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assets aquired by TD's since Covid arrived?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Is it possible to get a listing of newly acquired assets since Covid arrived by each TD in the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Is it possible to get a listing of newly acquired assets since Covid arrived by each TD in the country?

For what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For what purpose?
    To see if any are taking advantage of bankrupting policies currently in play by the government to use this to financially enrich themselves by acquiring assets on fractions of the price they are actually worth.

To see if any are taking advantage of bankrupting policies currently in play by the government to use this to financially enrich themselves by acquiring assets on fractions of the price they are actually worth.

Well good luck with that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Haha, people are nuts on the internets! What bankrupting policies would they be?

M

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Haha, people are nuts on the internets! What bankrupting policies would they be?

Policies where a pub can not legally open for a year despite them paying for a licence to operate. Hairdressers similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Register of Interests it not updated that frequently.

Also, the majority of TDs don't have large amounts of capital to play around with - with the exception of the fake man-of-the-people ones like Lowry and the Healy-Raes.

Policies where a pub can not legally open for a year despite them paying for a licence to operate. Hairdressers similar.

So ya reckon the td's will be buying up all the pubs and hair salons?

So wheres the link between this and your request?

M

So wheres the link between this and your request?

The law and the ability for anyone to acquire a business for sale.

So ya reckon the td's will be buying up all the pubs and hair salons?
    The law and the ability for anyone to acquire a business for sale.

So do you reckon?

• Advertisement
    M

So do you reckon?

Only the declarations will tell us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

All you need to know is that the official number of TD landlords are 41%. This of course doesn't count TDs who are simply invested with real estate, real estate companies or their wives who are also landlords and also invest in real estate.

Maybe find some other hobbies to get you through this virus, I'd say tds have other things on their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must have missed the bit where the banks decided that just now would be the ideal time to precipitate a slew of bankruptcies and liquidations, thereby driving down market prices and tanking their own portfolios.

Oh wait, thats right, they didn't.

By the way, like any of us, TDs are absolutely entitled to acquire and dispose of assets, so long as their practices and any capital they receive are legal and declared.

What you're clumsily trying to fish around for, is some indication that particular TDs or office holders designed laws or regulations, necessitated by the pandemic, specifically to benefit themselves. In which case, good luck with that and be careful who you libel in the process.

M

Maybe find some other hobbies to get you through this virus, I'd say tds have other things on their minds

Yes they are a 100% compliant with the law crowd if history has thought us anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pub licence renewal was €0 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What's the hypothesis here OP? That politicians are enacting harsher restrictions to enable them to acquire assets at knock down prices?

There is literally nothing to support that conspiracy theory.

M

What's the hypothesis here OP? That politicians are enacting harsher restrictions to enable them to acquire assets at knock down prices?

There is legally nothing to support that conspiracy theory.

That's exactly what I want to prove.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I must have missed the bit where the banks decided that just now would be the ideal time to precipitate a slew of bankruptcies and liquidations, thereby driving down market prices and tanking their own portfolios.

Oh wait, thats right, they didn't.

By the way, like any of us, TDs are absolutely entitled to acquire and dispose of assets, so long as their practices and any capital they receive are legal and declared.

What you're clumsily trying to fish around for, is some indication that particular TDs or office holders designed laws or regulations, necessitated by the pandemic, specifically to benefit themselves. In which case, good luck with that and be careful who you libel in the process.
    Hopefully he picks the wrong one and has a few thoroughly unenjoyable days in the high court.

Such ridiculous nonsense to be peddling.

Investigations (at least good ones) don't start with the conclusion and then go on a fishing expedition to try to back up the hunch.

As has been pointed out, the banks have not foreclosed on businesses, property prices remain buoyant, and the stock market generally has been hitting highs.

The cabinet is the one callling the shots here when it comes to the restrictions, the rest of the Dail are passengers, just like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

-> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you don’t know the difference between literally and legally there is not much hope.

Of course the auld conspiracy theory is not up to much either - the idea that TDs would conspire to acquire property cheaply and buy it in their own name and disclose the act in a public register for you to find....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can't wait for summer 2022

"Something for the weekend Sir?"

- "Just a short back and sides Leo"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You have been a poster who I have for many years respected, whether I agreed with you or not, lately I have been thinking you are not doing too well with the lockdown, this thread is preposterous, what are you trying to say? That covid policy is for tds gain, hardly, no doubt some will thrive out of the pandemic but to insinuate that policy is altered to suit them is ridiculous, take a break, break the restrictions and see some family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

What proof do you have that assets are currently seeking for fractions of the price they are worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,852 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

All you need to know is that the official number of TD landlords are 41%. This of course doesn't count TDs who are simply invested with real estate, real estate companies or their wives who are also landlords and also invest in real estate.

What is the average age of a TD? 40's/50's? Regular salary is 100k or so?

Salary is decent compared to average industrial wage but not absolutely exceptional (You can argue they don't give value for money but that is a different point).

If someone told you that 41% of 45 year old middle mangers on 100k a year had property then you likely wouldn't bat an eye at that.

15 years ago every second gobshite in the country was trying to buy a second or third house. Who here doesn't know someone who traded up and wanted to keep their first house to rent it out? Not because they thought it through but because they thought they could get the second mortgage and considered the rental income as free money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

What is the average age of a TD? 40's/50's? Regular salary is 100k or so?

Salary is decent compared to average industrial wage but not absolutely exceptional (You can argue they don't give value for money but that is a different point).

If someone told you that 41% of 45 year old middle mangers on 100k a year had property then you likely wouldn't bat an eye at that.

15 years ago every second gobshite in the country was trying to buy a second or third house. Who here doesn't know someone who traded up and wanted to keep their first house to rent it out? Not because they thought it through but because they thought they could get the second mortgage and considered the rental income as free money?

The point here my man, which completely flew over your head, is that the people who can change legislation to lower housing costs and rent, have no such incentives to do so.

Nothing has changed since the 1600s so it seems. The Ruling Class is the Landlord Class still.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,852 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The point here my man, which completely flew over your head, is that the people who can change legislation to lower housing costs and rent, have no such incentives to do so.

Nothing has changed since the 1600s so it seems. The Ruling Class is the Landlord Class still.

Nothing flew over my head there dude. Something might have passed across your own

If you threw a stick at a group of middle aged persons who are capable of getting some job that has an income of 100k then you will likely hit one that has property rented.

If you are implying that nobody with property should be allowed to be elected to government then that is ridiculous.

There is a register where they have to declare their interests. That is the proper way to keep track of things. You can hold them to account based on that.

What are you trying to do anyway? Are you targeting the "average" TDs with a second house, or the likes of the Healys Rae who build their business empire while telling their electorate they are fighting against "dem up above in Dublin"? The eejits will still vote for them.

Similarly the likes of your man Murphy. Comes across as a total scam artist to me. He appears to be one that wouldn't have a hope of matching a TD salary in the real world. But gets himself elected and jumps up on the backs of poor people by filling them full of shite rather than actually trying to come up with solutions to help them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure there are vultures waiting to buy up properties that have become cheap, but I very much doubt TDs will have engineered it so.

China on the other hand...

Advertisement