Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Wind Warning for Cork & Kerry - Strong Winds 10th & 11th March

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Ninja Snow Showers from Thursday to Saturday .....:D

qFomRoa.png

p3gNnk2.png
    Mostly on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Some pretty serious squalls in north Kildare recently, the most recent being both the most severe and the longest lasting I've experienced in quite a while. Very well defined on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

As its Orange status, and a direct hit, I have gone for Kronenburg this storm.

Its quite wild out there but still not an "event" compared to recent weather history.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

Very calm

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

North Cork, back from a walk with the dog and that’s as bad as it has been in a while. The gusts are quite strong, in between is not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

looks like an active feature developing to the south of the Low heading for Kerry in a few hours, hope it's not a sting jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They did name lots of other storms much weaker than this...but I think they should only name red warning storms from now on...especially when the media hype up every little bit of wind that is named

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gusts earlier seem to have been stronger but the orange warning is for 8pm on so dont expect much yet. Just had a very heavy shower.

Edit: oh here comes the wind now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Forgive please my poor memory of Fenit but that is a statue? St Brendan? I used to visit Fenit often but not for years now.

Yeah that is St Brendan The Navigator, great view up there , former site of an old WW2 lookout hut .

Series of shots below, the two people were gas, ran through the waves, not a bother to them :D

03nE2XX.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Bad gusts in West Clare now , it'll be a long night I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's pretty wild in north Clare also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The strongest portion of the wind field is predicted to hit the coast around midnight, it may mix through to the extent of producing a flat peak of wind gust values 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., but you'll recall that ship was due south of the centre when hit by the 85 mph winds, which were from 240 deg (WSW), from the looks of 12z guidance that component is still at the base of the pressure trough which is still at least 200 miles off the coast. The slight reduction in winds noted in Mayo in past few hours is due to the approach of this feature which has a slacker gradient at that latitude. So up that way, would expect a relative lull to midnight then a peak around 0200h when the pressure rises set in.

Given that gusts are around 105-110 km/hr in the southwest now, they may peak at 120-130 km/hr in a few more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

On the coast here in Wexford.

To say its wild would be an understatement.

Polytunnel disappearing act weather.

Good call MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Up there with the worst wind of the winter this year here anyway, mid to west cork, damage already done to a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Max gust at my weather station in Cobh so far 75kmh. Its an odd one so far, relatively calm for a few minutes then much worse for a few minutes then settling again a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yeah that is St Brendan The Navigator, great view up there , former site of an old WW2 lookout hut .

Series of shots below, the two people were gas, ran through the waves, not a bother to them :D

03nE2XX.gif

Was tempted to head over that way today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

M6 weather buoy reported a max wave height of 9.9m at 2000hrs.
    Lumpy out there for sure.
    edit M3 not M6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was tempted to head over that way today

Plenty of energy and that was an hour and a half after high tide, probably a bit of extra height in it with the onshore wind and Low Pressure.

Anemometer not working properly here, gusty and seen the window flex a few times but not too extreme

Barometer 9777.1 hPa Falling Rapidly near Tralee

7.8mm

8.3C

https://twitter.com/BallybunionBuoy/status/1369755292473425920?s=20

yRmzisx.png

PDvfs7y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Electricity gone, near kinsale..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

South West Kerry is crazy at the moment. Extremely strong winds and power briefly went out there. Would be very surprised if it doesn't go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Roaches point gusting 63 knots (117km/h)
    Sherkin 62 knots(115 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Noisy out gusting between 80 and 90 kmph , location between Waterford city and Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Serious strong wind gusts in Galway now, good job the tide is out might be different matter around 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Western outskirts of Cork city.

Things are pretty nasty here right now. Windows visibly flexing (how much flex can modern windows take?), the trees in the yard are rocking out to speed metal judging by their motions, and the entire apartment has been rumbling and vibrating for the last 15-20 minutes.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Gusts of 80km/h at Waterford Airport and 71km/h at my semi-sheltered to the SW station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

thomil wrote: »
    Western outskirts of Cork city.

Things are pretty nasty here right now. Windows visibly flexing (how much flex can modern windows take?), the trees in the yard are rocking out to speed metal judging by their motions, and the entire apartment has been rumbling and vibrating for the last 15-20 minutes.

I don't like the flexing windows myself either, but unless something hits them then it's unlikely the wind will damage them.

It's calm then some strong gusts and back to calm again here outside Newport. Not the strongest wind we've had but the most exposed part of our fence has come loose and the timber gate has lost some facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rains really coming down in cork city, very heavy in the last 10 minutes and gusts are really hitting the house at times before calming down and then building again with a lot of strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Time's like this I miss being on sherkin, so long as the ferrys resume within 48 hours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Sherkin gusting 59 knots (109km/h)
    Roaches point 58 knots
    Valentia 54 knots

• Advertisement

Plenty of energy and that was an hour and a half after high tide, probably a bit of extra height in it with the onshore wind and Low Pressure.

Anemometer not working properly here, gusty and seen the window flex a few times but not too extreme

Barometer 9777.1 hPa Falling Rapidly near Tralee

7.8mm

8.3C

https://twitter.com/BallybunionBuoy/status/1369755292473425920?s=20

yRmzisx.png

PDvfs7y.png

Really? Only had a 28mph gust here.

Advertisement