Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objection to Ban on Radio.Liveline thread

Options
  • 07-03-2021 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hello

I wish to lodge an objection to the ban I received recently on the Radio forum, Liveline thread.

The ban is for being "uncivil" - on the Radio.Liveline thread.
    "Uncivil" on a thread that is surely one of Boards' hellish inner circles for the level of personal vitriol and ridicule it generates. I trust the irony doesn't go unnoticed.

The circumstances of the ban are clear from the thread but to summarise:
    The topic of the radio programme was paedophilia and bullying by a priest and teacher.
    None of the comments in the thread expressed any sympathy or sensitivity for the Liveline callers who were the targets of the perpetrator.
    I politely drew attention to this and suggested the subject demanded more restraint and sensitivity.

Unsurprisingly the responses were dismissive and sarcastic - including responses from the moderator. When I responded in a similar dismissive manner retribution was swift.

The tone of the posts onthe thread degenerated further when the callers on the program, i.e the individuals targeted by the paedophile, were mocked by some posters. This is despicable behaviour.
    I refer you to the final post on the Liveline by username:PlentyOToole that triggered his ban which summarises a few of these contemptible posts. I support his comments entirely and commend his vehement tone.

I contend my ban is excessive and heavy-handed (6 months!), impetuous (no warning issued) and was intended to stifle any criticism of the insensitive posts on the thread and deflect any views that contradict the thread's resident mob.

Additionally:
    Following the ban messages from the the moderator outlined that the Liveline thread is "niche" and "not to everyones taste"; that I was welcome to use the ignore option or to open a new thread as I saw fit.

My interpretation of this is that the thread is exclusive, that my comments injecting a different view were not welcome, and contradiction of the general tone of ridicule dominating the thread would not be tolerated.

I had assumed a diversity of views was an core objective of Boards generally. Maybe I was naive.
    And why would I open a new thread when I wanted to challenge the posts in the Liveline thread?

My opinion is that the thread is desperately in need of review and redirection. Its failings aren't confined to a single programme or topic.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

good morning two wheels good,

as always, the first step in this process is for you to PM the moderator in question to discuss your ban and try to resolve things. Have you done so yet? If not, please engage with them first before proceeding further here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hello
    Yes, of course. The mod and I have exchanged a number of PMs.
    The final few paragraphs above outline my view on the interaction.

The moderator wasn't inclined to engage in a meaningful way and reconsider the decision or condemn the objectional posts on the thread. Quite the opposite I'd say.

[Edit] I'm aware it's Sunday with decent weather and people have more engaging things to do. There is no urgency with this issue. It can wait.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've given the CMods a heads up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will look into this when the other one is over.

Please forward on the interaction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have looked into this matter.

Your ban seems to have been caught up with another one which made for quite a tense time in that thread. The other situation has now been resolved.

After consultation I feel that in your case a warning would have been more appropriate than a ban. If you would agree that if there is confrontation in the future you would be less personal in your responses I will recommend this ban be overturned.

Is that OK?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input on this matter.
    Yes, I will undertake to give more consideration before posting content that may be considered personal.
    If the warning entails any other conditions please elaborate.

A ban was inappropriate yet it is still in place. Should it not have been revoked without delay?

On the topic of being "caught-up" with another poster's comments:
    I think it's worth pointing out this shouldn't have happened, neither in the original (ill-judged) decision nor in any subsequent adjudication - regardless of the support I expressed post-ban for the poster's intentions.

There are no other conditions.

The ban will be revoked when this process concludes.

Okay. Thanks.

I think this can be marked Resolved

Marked as resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement