Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Could have sued"

• 07-03-2021 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

As I'm reading about crazy claims being settled in the courts I wonder has any boardsie had a chance to make a claim but decided not to.

I remember on a very snowy day I was coming down the steps on a bus and the driver stopped suddenly, I fell down half a flight and landed on my back, nothing but a few scratches from the steps, thinking back I probably could have sued.

Another time I worked in a supermarket, we had to bring heavy pallets up a ramp with a manual pallet truck, I remember slipping one time as the weight of the pallet was so heavy, again I probably could have made a claim but thought nothing of it at the time.

Anyone have any experiences of this but didn't claim even though you probably could.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As I'm reading about crazy claims being settled in the courts I wonder has any boardsie had a chance to make a claim but decided not to.

I remember on a very snowy day I was coming down the steps on a bus and the driver stopped suddenly, I fell down half a flight and landed on my back, nothing but a few scratches from the steps, thinking back I probably could have sued.

Another time I worked in a supermarket, we had to bring heavy pallets up a ramp with a manual pallet truck, I remember slipping one time as the weight of the pallet was so heavy, again I probably could have made a claim but thought nothing of it at the time.

Anyone have any experiences of this but didn't claim even though you probably could.

This one time I fell off a swing set and hurt my tooshy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

When I fell in the school ground and cut and scarred my knee. Oh, well. Too late now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How is that Dublin bus' fault? They have warning signs about being on the stairs when the bus is moving and provide handrails.

Were you injured? In this scenario if youre not hurt then what is the claim for?

Claims arent to cover any bad thing that happens. They compensate people for injury caused by the wrong done by another person (usually negligence).

If this is in re the latest news regarding claims, in my view if the insurance companies are allowed to dictate the level of awards and the public support this because they naievely believe insurance costs will go down, then I would propose a different solution. We should abolish insurance and compensation all together and if youre hit by a drunk driver you just have to suck it up, but at least you dont have to pay 500 a year car insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I could have claimed a few times, last time some guy drove straight out in front of me, his car was wrote off, guards called, he accepted fault as I had a dash cam (only reason) I was in shock for a few hours after and my thumb was sore for a few days but I didn't claim. I didn't have whiplash. the speed was under 30 mph.

another time I fell around 8 to 10 foot on a building site, could have and should have been killed, the reason I fell was through negligence of a colleague, I had a huge bruise on my leg but worked on, I was around 21 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

TO be honest both of those stories are your own fault and I doubt you would get anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If I’m injured and out of pocket as a result of someone’s negligence, dead right they’ll be paying for it. Anything less is just being a pushover, do you need everyone to like you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was slapped on the arse by a manager as she walked past, at work.
    Never considered making a complaint as it didn't bother me but I was flabbergasted at her naivety in doing something like this. Even 20 years ago, this was completely unacceptable.

Personally it was a car crash, twice.

First time when young, car hit a push bike which was catapulted into the air and cleaned me out of it. Damaged kidney etc. Kidney has never been the same. The guy who cycled out in front of the car sued the driver and got cash. He had nothing wrong with him. I was in hospital for a week.

Second was another car crash, driving along two lanes of traffic, a delivery driver was in rush, never seen me and pulled straight out in front of me. Hit my car and pushed me into the railing on the other side. When I got out to talk to him, he told me not to worry about it because my car was older than his. :-) I rang insurance the next day and he hadn't told his company about it at all. No idea how he explained the damage to his car.

No whiplash or anything but I am sure if I went to the local ambulance chaser I would have got a few quid, especially as it was a well known company he was delivering for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

sebdavis wrote: »
    TO be honest both of those stories are your own fault and I doubt you would get anything.

Yet the Luas Surfer....

If I’m injured and out of pocket as a result of someone’s negligence, dead right they’ll be paying for it. Anything less is just being a pushover, do you need everyone to like you?

I woudl say nobody has an issue if someone is injured and out of pocket in wages etc or has a real issue

The problem you will find is the people who do these dodgy claims are never out of pocket and never have a long term injury

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I was stopped at a red light in the car this time last year and a cyclist looking at his phone rear-ended me. He was fine, there was a tiny dent, we laughed it off and didn't exchange details. I told him to mind himself! He was relieved, and when I said it to my oh and others they said a lot of people would have sued the cyclist. Mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Was walking outside s building site, on the footpath.

There was a solid hoarding.
    Next thing I was on my arse with a very sore leg.

Seems the boys inside were dropping an RSJ in tight to the hoarding.
    It wasnt landing correctly so a bit of persuasion was going on.

Must have popped off the bolts or whatever was supposed to land on. Hopped against the hoarding and took me out of it.

Manager was out and apologetic.
    Gave me all their details.
    Didn't try to hide anything.

They paid a&e bill and sent me a bottle of middleton.
    I got on with life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

My mom slipped on the plastic that holds beer cans together on the floor of Supervalu years ago. She really hurt her back.
    The manager came running over to apologise and asked if there was anything he could do. She said, how about a 6 pack so he gave her a slab of Heineken!

How is that Dublin bus' fault? They have warning signs about being on the stairs when the bus is moving and provide handrails.

Were you injured? In this scenario if youre not hurt then what is the claim for?

Claims arent to cover any bad thing that happens. They compensate people for injury caused by the wrong done by another person (usually negligence).

If this is in re the latest news regarding claims, in my view if the insurance companies are allowed to dictate the level of awards and the public support this because they naievely believe insurance costs will go down, then I would propose a different solution. We should abolish insurance and compensation all together and if youre hit by a drunk driver you just have to suck it up, but at least you dont have to pay 500 a year car insurance.

The public support this because we are sick of seeing good for nothing layabouts getting easy money for made up claims. And we are sick of seeing businesses closing because of these paracites who claim for any little thing. a little cut on your knee here is 30,000.

david wrote: »

Tell me about it, couldn't even beat my personal best in 10k weeks later. Time to hit the taxpayer's pocket, fix that bruised sense of entitlement goodo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sliced my finger on a broken bottle when I was at school which caused nerve damage. Another time a taxi driver collided with my bike during a road rage incident. Third time another taxi hit me when he pulled out without looking.
    Could have gotten a nice bit of cash if I had bothered to chase any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was cycling across the wooden bridge on Bull Island a couple of years ago, wheel of the bike went between two planks, I was thrown off and damaged my shoulder. MRI proved it.
    There are signs there saying no cycling on the bridge, so I didn't bother as there is some form of personal responsibility.

Was rear ended by a car in traffic around 2008, substantial enough damage done to my van, his car a write off, but I was uninjured, could have gotten the €38,000 easy enough according to a solicitor.

Found glass in a plate of food I ordered in a well know cafe about 10 years ago, to be honest they were ignorant as fcuk about it. They behaved as if I had planted it there. I hadn't even touched the plate, saw it before I put the fork in. They then had a discussion behind the counter and then wiped the plate from the menu for the day and cancelled other orders on the way for that plate. So they knew something was wrong.

Chair broke under me in a university canteen when I was on an visit in 2015 or so, it left a scratch mark in my back for a week or so. They followed up a couple of times if I wanted to sue. I had no lasting damage so I didn't. The chairs are crap, I've seen them in a fair few cafe's. I asked them to change them and they did. End of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In this country the compo-culture is a relatively new thing.
    Years ago most people would never have thought of bringing someone to court after an accident and a small token from the responsible party was usually enough to put things right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

A few years ago, on road at Abberley Court Hotel, Tallaght, at 5 miles an hour, a car bumped me in stop start traffic.. I got out, had a look, no damage, "dont worry about it" End of.

Then wife did it to someone else. No damage, I took photos but they didnt come out. It was on dashcam, 5 miles an hour, stop start traffic, queueing to go around a corner. Full ambulance, car in front of hit car found damage that wasnt there when I photographed it, but was dark and is blurred, and going the whole hog.

Hope the twat overdoes it and gets caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Dublin Bus don't get a huge number of people suing them for minor issues as they defend them in full and go after costs very strongly including putting judgements against people and enforcing those judgements

The ambulance chasing solicitors avid taking claims against Dublin Bus.

Supermacs are the same and this led to a huge drop in claims against them

As for the Pallet, assuming you had done a manual handling course, it would have been up to you to judge the pallet was too heavy for one person to pull.

Then you have to prove negligence and also play the part of an injured person and pretend you are injured and how it affected your life.

This is easy if you are unemployed and not interested in working and earning an honest living, but less easy if as you seem to be, a decent worker and honest person.

There is direct correlation between earning/lack of earnings along with social class and the severity of an injury. Basically if you are unemployed and lazy you "feel" the "injury" more than someone who is employed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I had a couple of injuries in the same job years ago that required medical attention (and a few that didn't) but suing or asking for anything never crossed my mind.

Thinking back on it, the feckers could have at least offered to pay for the medical expenses :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

In fairness you ruined your chances by running a marathon 9 days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

Fair play for running the 10k despite being hurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1978 I broke my wrist and 2 fingers in a roller disco. I was at the end of a "convoy". The last one goes the fastest. I crashed into the barrier. I was 10 or 11 at the time. My parents didn't entertain the idea of claiming. There is a risk to things like skating & sitting on a swing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wife fell over branches left on the road after the council had trimmed the hedges. She needed 3 stitches in her face because of a nasty gash in her cheek. I watched it happen as a car passed she moved out of the way and put one foot under group of branches lying on the road and then the other foot on the branches, as she went to move off with the trapped foot she fell over.

I wanted to sue (but probably wouldn't have) just because when we contacted the council they tried to deny cutting the hedge in the first place even when presented with evidence that it was a council contractor they still denied undertaking the works.

Luckily the care doc on duty, well known for his minor surgery work, did a great job and the stitches healed up really well so you'd never notice any scarring.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Ever since the guy drove out in front of me, I am very wary of cars suddenly driving out from my left, overly so, this causes me a fair bit of stress at the time it happens. when the crash happened, I was hoping my thumb healed quickly because I didnt want to claim and have people saying I was lying to get a pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In this country the compo-culture is a relatively new thing.
    Years ago most people would never have thought of bringing someone to court after an accident and a small token from the responsible party was usually enough to put things right.

Been going on since the mid-late 80's. Around Late 80's or 1990 is when the 'tripping over the pavement' stuff started big time and when judges really went to town on it.

There was a case around mid 80's where the owner of a car was held responsible for this: His car was parked in his driveway as the brakes were gone. He took The insurance off it as he wasn't driving. Car was stolen, and crashed. The joyriders succesfully sued the equivalent back then of the MIBI.

Judiciary and legal firms have made insane amounts of money on this over the past 30 years. The party is over.

You are forgetting the insurance company involvement. Where I work a soon to retire employee had an injury, fully paid while out. He is suing the company.

The injury he suffered was from doing an activity he was specifically told in relatively recent and documented training NOT to do.

An insurance person came out to us and at the time said, when asked, there'd likely be a pay out.

Why, because it would be cheaper for them to bring a swift end.

I didnt get a chance to reply at the time, 'but what about the precedent'. We've since followed up with more info... hopefully will make a difference.

But, just because a claim is daft doesn't mean there won't be some pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

As part of a work health check I discovered the hearing in my right ear was significantly worse than my left ear at high pitches but I had never noticed any difference myself . The nurse said that it might have been due to loud noises such as at concerts or discos. We had a laugh about it when I pointed out that I always brought both my ears on a night out.

Then there was the Army deafness cases. I had been in the FCA (the reserves these days). There was no such thing as ear protection and your ears would be ringing for days after rifle range practice.

The safety breach was so egregious and the consequences so obvious that the Govt wasn’t even contesting cases at one stage but I never made a claim as I didn’t really think my hearing was that bad and I thought it was bad Karma.

Years later when I was sometimes struggling to hear conversations in crowded pubs(remember them?) and I saw what soft money was being paid out for inconsequential incidents I often wondered was I more stupid than honourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

more to the point , they were nothing incidents even someone was at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im out of pocket about 5 k since june 2018 because a beligerent assh0le was affronted at the idea i would ask him to take responsibility for his mistake which resulted in a concrete block falling four feet onto my foot , ive pain in this foot to this day but the assh0le refused to engage with my solicitor or the PIAB on any level , the pr1ck claimed he didnt have public liability insurance but admitted he had home insurance , its not possible to have one without the other

it would have cost more to bring him to court than i was likely to see in damages as the injury is soft tissue in nature and chronic pain is likely the reason for my being in pain to this day

50 euro per month on painkillers , over a dozen appointments with consultants , scans , the costs add up quickly

the media would have people believe that every PI claim is fraudulent and that getting money is a piece of p1ss , It might be if its a huge business you are trying to sue or a motor accident where the one responsible can be compelled easily to play ball but its a lot less straight forward on occasion where someone might only have a home and nobody looses their home even they are responsible for someone end up in a wheelchair

You are forgetting the insurance company involvement. Where I work a soon to retire employee had an injury, fully paid while out. He is suing the company.

The injury he suffered was from doing an activity he was specifically told in relatively recent and documented training NOT to do.

An insurance person came out to us and at the time said, when asked, there'd likely be a pay out.

Why, because it would be cheaper for them to bring a swift end.

I didnt get a chance to reply at the time, 'but what about the precedent'. We've since followed up with more info... hopefully will make a difference.

But, just because a claim is daft doesn't mean there won't be some pay out.

100%. I remember reading about a case in Ireland. some ejit was driving in a car park, there was a man hole cover missing but there was cones and tape around it to warn people. the driver still drove into the manhole, the judge said she was say 40% at fault but she still got 20,000 or whatever the pay out was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Anon345

Our son was forgotten and left in an internal bathroom by a well known creche chain for 3 hours 40 minutes when he was 3 years old.
    They turned out the lights and there were no windows so he was in complete darkness.
    It was a room only used for daytime naps and there was nobody within 25 metres of him.
    He was hoarse from crying and shouting for help when I came to collect him.
    They only found him by accident when looking for another child's teddy.
    It was all caught on their CCTV.
    We decided not to take legal action.

Anon345 wrote: »
    Our son was forgotten and left in an internal bathroom by a well known creche chain for 3 hours 40 minutes when he was 3 years old.
    They turned out the lights and there were no windows so he was in complete darkness.
    It was a room only used for daytime naps and there was nobody within 25 metres of him.

Was there any follow up? Regardless of compensation some incidents need reporting so that other kids don't suffer

Was there any follow up? Regardless of compensation some incidents need reporting so that other kids don't suffer

Yes, Tusla were involved.
    It wasn't wilful, it was accidental.
    They reviewed the creche and recommended changes to and additional checks in their processes.
    We were told by the chain that the 2 staff directly responsible had been left go, but we found out later they just moved them to another branch.

• Advertisement

I would definitely have sued in this case. sure that boy that was left at the luas stop got 40,000, sounds like your child went through way more of an ordeal.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would definitely have sued in this case. sure that boy that was left at the luas stop got 40,000, sounds like your child went through way more of an ordeal.

Yeah, I still get a lump in my throat whenever I think of it.
    We were very lucky that one of our friends is a child psychiatrist and another is a barrister.
    The psychiatrist advised us not to get our son to retell and relive what happened and to try to give him positive handles for it when he did.

The barrister said that if we took a case, we would need to show that our son had been adversely affected by the incident.
    The danger with that would be that we would spend the next few years focusing only on a long legal case, looking for any negative characteristics in our sons behaviour to include in the case.

Both barrister and psychiatrist said that if we were considering taking a case, we should be aware that it would dominate our lives for at least 2 years and not for the better.
    Our only motivation for a case was punitive rather than financial so we let Tusla look after the legal end and we got on with life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was driving to pick up a friend across the city (back in the day) to head down to blessington windsurfing - a drunk wan drove the wrong way around a roundabout and to avoid a head on collision into her the articulated lorry swerved and hit the side of my car - lifting it & pushing me and it across two lanes and up onto the middle of the contrete roundabout. My life flashed in front of me. My old car was so light it was just pushed and ended up with the imprint dent of the truck the entire length of its side. The girl driving the car got out - hysterical in fairness - she had been on her way post all night party to get fags in the petrol station just up the road from her house - I could smell the drink off her at ten paces. The poor truck driver needed new trousers and a bucket of valium . I could have sued at least for the damage to the car but I let it go. I figured he’d really done his best and it would damage his career - even though it was indirectly 100% the girls fault. I can still see the fear in his face & whites of his eyes as he sat clinging onto his steering wheel trying not to lose it and remember the fear I felt as I tried to keep calm as I was on my way to being crushed. I figured my guardian angel was working overtime that day & I should be grateful that they wern’t scraping me out of my car like a tin of strawberry jam.

I hope the girl learned her lesson & is grateful for the chance she got. Didn’t even call the gaurds. She got lucky. But then again really, so did I.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yeah, I still get a lump in my throat whenever I think of it.
    We were very lucky that one of our friends is a child psychiatrist and another is a barrister.
    The psychiatrist advised us not to get our son to retell and relive what happened and to try to give him positive handles for it when he did.

The barrister said that if we took a case, we would need to show that our son had been adversely affected by the incident.
    The danger with that would be that we would spend the next few years focusing only on a long legal case, looking for any negative characteristics in our sons behaviour to include in the case.

Both barrister and psychiatrist said that if we were considering taking a case, we should be aware that it would dominate our lives for at least 2 years and not for the better.
    Our only motivation for a case was punitive rather than financial so we let Tusla look after the legal end and we got on with life.

Poor little guy, that is awful. :(
    I'm not surprised that it would still upset you.

It's scary to think that they didn't notice him missing too for pretty much half a day, poor little mite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Pushing a full trolley of shopping out of a certain supermarket, the trolley wheel went into a pothole in the (badly maintained) car park, trolley went over and landed on my ankle.
    Heard/felt something crack in my ankle.
    Reported incident to security guard and manager but I never pursued it, young and procrastinating I suppose!
    Car park was resurfaced with in a couple of weeks. Would’ve been caught on cctv aswell.

Ah well I would’ve went mad on the payout money though, so things have worked out for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I was driving to pick up a friend across the city (back in the day) to head down to blessington windsurfing - a drunk wan drove the wrong way around a roundabout and to avoid a head on collision into her the articulated lorry swerved and hit the side of my car - lifting it & pushing me and it across two lanes and up onto the middle of the contrete roundabout. My life flashed in front of me. My old car was so light it was just pushed and ended up with the imprint dent of the truck the entire length of its side. The girl driving the car got out - hysterical in fairness - she had been on her way post all night party to get fags in the petrol station just up the road from her house - I could smell the drink off her at ten paces. The poor truck driver needed new trousers and a bucket of valium . I could have sued at least for the damage to the car but I let it go. I figured he’d really done his best and it would damage his career - even though it was indirectly 100% the girls fault. I can still see the fear in his face & whites of his eyes as he sat clinging onto his steering wheel trying not to lose it and remember the fear I felt as I tried to keep calm as I was on my way to being crushed. I figured my guardian angel was working overtime that day & I should be grateful that they wern’t scraping me out of my car like a tin of strawberry jam.

I hope the girl learned her lesson & is grateful for the chance she got. Didn’t even call the gaurds. She got lucky. But then again really, so did I.

She should have fcking walked. Nearly killed two people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In the hotel I used to work we had a large 10kg marble base for a juicer for guests to use at breakfast. Over time, the acidic juice wore down the glue or whatever was holding it all together. This has to be moved twice a day for set up for lunch and again after dinner service for use the next morning.

Was setting up for breakfast and the large, heavy marble base broke apart in my hands and landed crisply on top of my left foot, breaking 2 bones. First thing HR asked me when I came in after my hospital appointment was "are you going to claim on our insurance". I didn't.

I regret not claiming because I had to wear a space boot for 3 months and was out of work on sick pay, which was ****e at the time and didn't even pay my rent nevermind bills and groceries. Had to top myself up with my savings which took a serious dent over those 3 months.

Glico Man wrote: »
    In the hotel I used to work we had a large 10kg marble base for a juicer for guests to use at breakfast. Over time, the acidic juice wore down the glue or whatever was holding it all together. This has to be moved twice a day for set up for lunch and again after dinner service for use the next morning.

Was setting up for breakfast and the large, heavy marble base broke apart in my hands and landed crisply on top of my left foot, breaking 2 bones. First thing HR asked me when I came in after my hospital appointment was "are you going to claim on our insurance". I didn't.

I regret not claiming because I had to wear a space boot for 3 months and was out of work on sick pay, which was ****e at the time and didn't even pay my rent nevermind bills and groceries. Had to top myself up with my savings which took a serious dent over those 3 months.

Maybe you can still negotiate? A claim will cost them on their insurance - for poor practices - and up their premium even if it is out of date. Might be fair of them to meet your overheads and out of pocket expenses at least.

She should have fcking walked. Nearly killed two people

It was a little before all this emphasis on next day driving was all over the media. There for the grace of God go I kind of. Back then. She could see her house from the accident site. Better focusing in the good karma and serious good luck that didn’t leave me just slaughtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

It was a little before all this emphasis on next day driving was all over the media. There for the grace of God go I kind of. Back then. She could see her house from the accident site. Better focusing in the good karma and serious good luck that didn’t leave me just slaughtered.

That's true too I suppose. Glad you weren't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Scarred for life in a previous job, faulty bain Marie thingy fell on me and the contents burned my chest and stomach. I didn't sue, I don't care about scars.

I DID sue for another incident in the same workplace after, more faulty equipment caused me an injury that still plagues me 11 years later. I didn't want to sue but I couldn't afford my immediate medical bills (couple of grand) and they wouldn't cover them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Was slapped on the arse by a manager as she walked past, at work.
    Never considered making a complaint as it didn't bother me but I was flabbergasted at her naivety in doing something like this. Even 20 years ago, this was completely unacceptable.

Was she good looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was she good looking?

I wasn't attracted to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭leinster93

Our little fella, born prematurely, got sepsis in scbu and was put on IV antibiotics for two weeks and kept in. Luckiky the sepsis was caught very early on.

On the second last day of his antibiotics he was misadministered medicine. Basically he was administered something which was detected a few hours later not to be his assigned medicine. Tube sent to Laboratory and results came back with substance given to premature babies who have very low sugar levels. Tests on all organs etc came back normal. Fast forward a few years. Fun loving, talking, laughing, full of life little dude. We didn't want to go down the legal route and have our time absorbed with that. We just thanked our blessings that he was okay and thankful to be able to spend every moment with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

pgj2015 wrote: »
    [/B]

100%. I remember reading about a case in Ireland. some ejit was driving in a car park, there was a man hole cover missing but there was cones and tape around it to warn people. the driver still drove into the manhole, the judge said she was say 40% at fault but she still got 20,000 or whatever the pay out was.

Yes, but like the case of Alan Farrel, where the Judge said "There is little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash." but still awarded him a sum of €15'000 plus Costs.......same as in the case you mention, that little 5 letter word "Costs"...:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement