Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Could have sued"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, but like the case of Alan Farrel, where the Judge said "There is little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash." but still awarded him a sum of €15'000 plus Costs.......same as in the case you mention, that little 5 letter word "Costs"...:cool:

was it a man driving? I thought it was a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If I was out of pocket due to someone else's negligence I would definitely sue. Why wouldn't I ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

pgj2015 wrote: »
    was it a man driving? I thought it was a woman.

Yes a Lady tourist , stopped a little bit behind him, was distracted by a spider ( or other insect crawling across her arm) and took her foot off the brake.. car rolled into the back of Farells car, did not even mark the bumper, much less damage it. Yet he put in a compo claim for serious back injurys, but was seen up on a ladder putting up election posters a few weeks after the "accident".:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Playing indoor football,slipped on some water that had leaked through a fire door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A few years back I was in nightclub and bouncers were chucking out a girl and she grabbed a glass and threw it at bouncers ..... missed them and glass hit me in face .... I have a scar just above my right eye....

I was informed id get massive money if I took it to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

KaneToad wrote: »
    If I was out of pocket due to someone else's negligence I would definitely sue. Why wouldn't I ??

Thats what insurance is for....but when down right fraudulent claims are being entertained in the Courts, for massive sums, there is something radically wrong with the insurance "Industry" here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Maybe you can still negotiate? A claim will cost them on their insurance - for poor practices - and up their premium even if it is out of date. Might be fair of them to meet your overheads and out of pocket expenses at least.

It's been about 4 years since I left, so I doubt I could claim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Truck went into the back of me in O'Connell Street at a red light, about 18 years ago, car was written off but I just claimed vehicle damage. My back was already sore during that time so I I didn't bother suing, and it was difficult to know what impact the accident had.

Car went into the back of me at a junction on another occasion, we exchanged details and they were very apologetic but I was fine really and again just claimed for damage to car.

About 8 years ago, I slipped in a major Department Store and slid past three checkouts, the floor was wet and no signage. I just remember sitting there, dying from embarrassment but I was badly bruised everywhere and could barely walk. Not one staff member came to my assistance, I just got up and hobbled on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

sebdavis wrote: »
    TO be honest both of those stories are your own fault and I doubt you would get anything.

Well the bus one was but the supermarket one wasn't, I was told by a manager to do it, the ramp was 15-20 foot long and it escalated to a height of 5 foot. The pallet could have weighed 200-300 kg. When I think back it was quite a dangerous task as someone often pushed from behind if the pallet was too heavy, if the person pulling slipped or let go of the pallet truck, the person behind could easily be killed. It was 15 years ago and I doubt they'd do it now.

I wasn't hurt so it was a nothing incident but I could have easily played it up, I've seen people get money for less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

When I was a very small child (as in, I only vaguely remember it) I scalded my hand on one of those wrought iron radiators in a cafe. I had to have medical attention, bandages/burn treatment etc.
    My folks weren't planning on doing anything until the manager let slip that another child had burned her FACE on the same one earlier that day, but they'd done nothing to make the area safe/not seat small kids next to it. Apparently we were all set to pursue action when they suddenly folded overnight. They're an apache pizza now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Got misdiagnosed with very serious life-altering illness for 48 hours - until the hospital phoned me to say they'd 'mixed up' blood samples.

Slipped on a pub floor and severed an artery and nerve - ended up with permanent damage.

Felt it would be bad Karma to pursue #1.

There was a bit of horseplay involved in #2 - tbh fault was probably split evenly between me, a mate and the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hurt my back due to an accident on a camp I was working at in my teens. They even said I should claim on their insurance.

I didn't. Still have a bad back 30 odd years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

blacked out in hospital hit my head and bust my ankle, was in a low nurse cover ward - it got me moved to a higher nurse cover ward quickly though. id blacked out a couple of times before that at home so they knew !
    weird coming round with an oxygen mask on.

would have felt guilty pursuing a claim though

Advertisement