Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do here?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have two tenants. One of which has texted me telling me that her soup bowl has gone missing from the kitchen and that this isnt the first time stuff belonging to her has disappeared from the kitchen and had told me to 'sort it'. She is right in that this has happened before but on the last occasion I told her that she needs to keep her belongings in her bedroom as I won't be held liable for missing items. I've asked the other lodger does he know anything about a missing soup bowl, he said he doesn't. Its a small item but if not handled properly it can escalate. Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you living in the property?

If not, tell them they are adults who have rented your property, not your time, sort it out themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are you living in the property?

If not, tell them they are adults who have rented your property, not your time, sort it out themselves.

Yeah, im a live in LL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

First off. If you live with them your not their landlord and they are not their tenants but your licensees. You have right to kick them out at any stage, they have no tenant rights.

Other than that tell them to grow up, sort out themselves or get out.

Mods can ye lock this thread? The eponymous soup/breakfast/ container of foods bowl had been found in the fridge covered in tinfoil. I personally can't wait to bring this to her attention when she returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

fran38 wrote: »
    Mods can ye lock this thread? The eponymous soup/breakfast/ container of foods bowl had been found in the fridge covered in tinfoil. I personally can't wait to bring this to her attention when she returns.

While this is good news, I'd take the opportunity to sit down with her and remind her that she's an adult and if she has issues with the other lodger she needs to sort it with them.

• Advertisement

Hi. The situation has now escalated to the point where I had to give the female lodger notice to leave my house. When I pointed out to her that her soup bowl was in the fridge she began to insinuate that either the male lodger or myself had taken her belongings and broken or misplaced them. These belongings include kitchen utensils, fruit juices and alcohol. I said that as the owner of the property I find her insinuations insulting and that she has the end of the month to vacate my house.
    As a licencee, I could have given her a day or a week to leave but I thought I was doing the right thing to give her some time to look for another place. That was two days ago and it was possibly the wrong thing to do.
    For the last two days, she has been playing all stereo devices loudly in the morning, stomping loudly up and down the stairs, shouting into her phone whenever she gets a call. All of this starts at 9am and continues untill she feels fit to leave the house. She is also putting on the heating in the mornings and leaving it on. She turns it off when she feels like it. She's doing all this to elicit a response. I'm not giving it to her.
    So my thinking is this. Once she leaves today, I'll change the locks and text her that she's no longer a guest in my house due to her rude behaviour and get her family, who lives nearby to remove her belongings. What do ye think and what else should I be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

hide your rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Tell her your shortening the notice to 5 days and then get rid. If she gets mad about it, shorten it to 24hrs and then take action like you say.

It's this a sudden escalation or is she/he nuts?

Your not their parent. This is a ridiculous situation

Tell her your shortening the notice to 5 days and then get rid. If she gets mad about it, shorten it to 24hrs and then take action like you say.

It's this a sudden escalation or is she/he nuts?

Your not their parent. This is a ridiculous situation

Sudden escalation tbh

Well if they have been normal otherwise, I would prob give them a little leeway and reduce the notice to a week. And if the kick up make it 24 hours... You don't have to deal with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you learn from experience eh? you offered her time to find another place to live and she has thrown that back in your face.

if i was you i would simply sit down again and discuss that he behaviour is disrupting the house, and that you expect her to stop any childish behaviour of the sort or she will have 24 hrs to leave the premises. IE issue a threat, but only if you are prepared to follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think you tried to be reasonable and this was her response. If I were you I'd go ahead and change the locks and be done with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd tell her that she is not to make excessive noise, to stop running the heating. That if she can't follow those simple rules she move out tonight otherwise be gone as soon as possible, not later than next Sunday. Get some boxes and heavy duty black bags and give them to her.

I told the lodger that any more disruptive behaviour ie; excessive noise levels, that she will have to leave by this Sunday. She got her mother on the phone and just ranted that she knows the law, that her daughter WILL NOT be leaving before the original date I gave (March 31st), they'll be getting legal advice and that she'll scandalize me around the whole village. In light of this, I now definitely want her out by this Sunday. I've rang the local solicitor to get solid advice but I imagine the lodger and her mam has gone or will go to the same practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

Her mother is talking through her a*se. If she's so concerned about her daughter let her move her back home. Pathetic that a grown adult has to resort to having mammy fight her battles. Though she does sound like a petulant child by her actions so not really surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I told the lodger that any more disruptive behaviour ie; excessive noise levels, that she will have to leave by this Sunday. She got her mother on the phone and just ranted that she knows the law, that her daughter WILL NOT be leaving before the original date I gave (March 31st), they'll be getting legal advice and that she'll scandalize me around the whole village. In light of this, I now definitely want her out by this Sunday. I've rang the local solicitor to get solid advice but I imagine the lodger and her mam has gone or will go to the same practice.

The solicitor will tell her she is a licencee and has to go

Her mother is talking through her a*se. If she's so concerned about her daughter let her move her back home. Pathetic that a grown adult has to resort to having mammy fight her battles. Though she does sound like a petulant child by her actions so not really surprising.

Its typical little miss princess type behaviour. She's a part time model so probably has gushings of praise heaped on her constantly. Still waiting on the solicitor to call me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Pistachio19

Its typical little miss princess type behaviour. She's a part time model so probably has gushings of praise heaped on her constantly. Still waiting on the solicitor to call me back.

Ignore any further calls from her mother. Hopefully you'll have her out by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Change locks, fire her belonging into black plastic bags and leave them outside the mother's house. Call your local Garda station and inform them of situation beforehand. Don't forget her bowl.

Well that's a 100% get her out asap situation now. Do it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi. The situation has now escalated to the point where I had to give the female lodger notice to leave my house. When I pointed out to her that her soup bowl was in the fridge she began to insinuate that either the male lodger or myself had taken her belongings and broken or misplaced them. These belongings include kitchen utensils, fruit juices and alcohol. I said that as the owner of the property I find her insinuations insulting and that she has the end of the month to vacate my house.
    As a licencee, I could have given her a day or a week to leave but I thought I was doing the right thing to give her some time to look for another place. That was two days ago and it was possibly the wrong thing to do.
    For the last two days, she has been playing all stereo devices loudly in the morning, stomping loudly up and down the stairs, shouting into her phone whenever she gets a call. All of this starts at 9am and continues untill she feels fit to leave the house. She is also putting on the heating in the mornings and leaving it on. She turns it off when she feels like it. She's doing all this to elicit a response. I'm not giving it to her.
    So my thinking is this. Once she leaves today, I'll change the locks and text her that she's no longer a guest in my house due to her rude behaviour and get her family, who lives nearby to remove her belongings. What do ye think and what else should I be doing?

How old is this person> Sounds about 2?

Graces7 wrote: »
    How old is this person> Sounds about 2?

26 yrs of age.

So the two separate solicitor practices in the village contacted me. I relayed events leading up to her mams phone rant and my wish to get her out by Sunday. Both solicitors admitted that they were ignorant in tenancy/licencee law. One solicitor said that the lodger can't keep up the level of disruption until she leaves on the 31st so can I endure it till then while the other one said that because the lodger has resided in my house for the last 1.5/2 years then maybe she's afforded some level of tenancy protection. That solicitor will look into it and get back to me in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Dear God, as she shares with the LL she has no tenancy protection as she isn’t a tenant. Let’s hope the solicitor the mother contacted is able to relay that to her.

If I were you, I would email that solicitor with links to the RTB site relating to renting under license.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html#

https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/types-of-tenancies-and-agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would go down to the local police station and make who ever is on duty aware of the situation so it's on paper if you have to ring them .
    Tell the other lodger to disappear for a few hours
    Get a few family or friends round to help you.

Tell her to get out within 2 hours.

Make sure she leaves , then change locks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

So the two separate solicitor practices in the village contacted me. I relayed events leading up to her mams phone rant and my wish to get her out by Sunday. Both solicitors admitted that they were ignorant in tenancy/licencee law. One solicitor said that the lodger can't keep up the level of disruption until she leaves on the 31st so can I endure it till then while the other one said that because the lodger has resided in my house for the last 1.5/2 years then maybe she's afforded some level of tenancy protection. That solicitor will look into it and get back to me in the morning.

She has zero tenancy protection as you cannot be a tenant if you live with the LL; she is by definition a licencee. Look it up on the RTB website

MacDanger wrote: »
    She has zero tenancy protection as you cannot be a tenant if you live with the LL; she is by definition a licencee. Look it up on the RTB website

I know and I have. But solicitors are pleading ignorance so unless I have the solid backing by law, there is nothing I can do. The tenant is texting me that if I touch her belongings she will regard this as 'criminal trespassing and damage' and 'ill go to the police'. She's not grasping the fact that I can't trespass in my own house as she has no agreement signed. I'll drive down to the gards to see what's what. I'll get back to ye later tonight coz I'm busy.

I know and I have. But solicitors are pleading ignorance so unless I have the solid backing by law, there is nothing I can do. The tenant is texting me that if I touch her belongings she will regard this as 'criminal trespassing and damage' and 'ill go to the police'. She's not grasping the fact that I can't trespass in my own house as she has no agreement signed. I'll drive down to the gards to see what's what. I'll get back to ye later tonight coz I'm busy.

She hasn’t got a leg to stand on and the town solicitors are idiots to offer opinions on something if they are so ill informed.

Out on her ear and that’s that.

26 yrs of age.

OH dear! And the part time modelling? hence the " drama queen."?

when I was teaching ballet some of the mothers acted like this one's mother; they were named " ballet mothers." Same pattern!

So sorry you are having to go through this... You deserve a medal

• Advertisement

Please call " Threshold"? I know this is not normal tenancy stuff but they are so used to situations like this and will be able to advise and maybe act as advocate for you? With the voice of some authority. They did that for me with a tough tenancy I had. Called the agent and charmed them!

And yes give the Gardaí the heads up .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement