Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAP access in covid and normal times

Options
  • 07-03-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Wondering if you are allowed to roll up to GAP and pay a few quid to ride at the minute?

In general, in normal times I'd plan on not using uplift and combining with ticknock. Are you allowed to enter that way, ride down to the cafe and then pay? Or must you enter by main entrance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

The GAP is open and its pedal up only. €5 fee.
    There is a sign up at the ticknock / GAP entrance with a number, I'm sure if you ring ahead you'll be covered for insurance to even go down a trail then just sign in once you get to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Perfect. Thanks. Looking forward to getting out to try the trails. Just need the radius to increase to 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For the Gap, just pay online: https://www.thegap.ie/book-online/

Get there early as it gets very busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's an option to get an uplift with your bubble afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Is the option to get uplifts with your bubble still available at the GAP?
    It doesn't seem possible to book anything.
    Are they waiting for some changes to restrictions does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Bot1 wrote: »
    Is the option to get uplifts with your bubble still available at the GAP?
    It doesn't seem possible to book anything.
    Are they waiting for some changes to restrictions does anyone know?

Pretty sure its not running. Haven't seen it used in a couple months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

mad turnip wrote: »
    Pretty sure its not running. Haven't seen it used in a couple months.

Yes, you're right there. Was up there yesterday and it was still pedal up only, talking to one of the staff and he said the buses may starting running again in a few weeks all going well.

Also its now €8 for pedal up for walk ins, if you don't prebook online rather than the regular €5.

On a side note, the place was jammed, great to see given the amount of hurdles activity based businesses have to jump through these days.

Edit, I should add, while there were plenty of people around, there was still room in the overflow carpark and the trails were never congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If I pay the 5e online... Can I cycle up from Ticknock and just use the routes without having to go and check in somewhere first?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mloc123 wrote: »
    If I pay the 5e online... Can I cycle up from Ticknock and just use the routes without having to go and check in somewhere first?

You have to collect a sticker that goes around your handlebars from the reception desk. Someone above mentioned there's a number you can ring so you're insured for when you're cycling from Ticknock on your way to collect your pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Stark wrote: »
    You have to collect a sticker that goes around your handlebars from the reception desk. Someone above mentioned there's a number you can ring so you're insured for when you're cycling from Ticknock on your way to collect your pass.

I reckon that once you pay the €5 online you can just show anyone who works at the park your phone with your emailed receipt...
    I think those paper tags should be done away with and replaced with a barcode on your phone.... there was a picture on Facebook recently of a handful of those paper tags dumped as litter....
    If you're really worried about your insurance status getting over from Ticknock you can push your bike down the walkers trail till you get to the GAP office...
    Though queuing up in COvid times is probably best avoided..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I reckon that once you pay the €5 online you can just show anyone who works at the park your phone with your emailed receipt...
    I think those paper tags should be done away with and replaced with a barcode on your phone.... there was a picture on Facebook recently of a handful of those paper tags dumped as litter....
    If you're really worried about your insurance status getting over from Ticknock you can push your bike down the walkers trail till you get to the GAP office...
    Though queuing up in COvid times is probably best avoided..

That photo was sad to see; given that we all like riding bikes in the great outdoors you'd think cyclists as a group would be more in tune with littering. Alas that is not the case, and it takes all sorts.

The tags are used by the uplift drivers as I've seen them clipping the tags of those who bought a set number of uplifts instead of an all-day pass or a morning uplift, etc. It'd be interesting to hear the companies views on whether or not it'd be practical to move to a paperless system.

I'd imagine the coloured bands are an easy way of patrolling who's coming in. They alternate the colours afaik so a quick glance at someone's bars will alert them to someone who hasn't signed in for the given day.

Also, given the parking in Ticknock since covid, I find its actually easier to park in the Gap and go into Ticknock that way rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Any update re restrictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Can you not just contact The Gap? :confused:

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Can you not just contact The Gap? :confused:

I could. Thanks for your help:rolleyes:

The buses have been back about 3 weeks now. Each bus divided in two for bubbles of 6 I believe. Also seemingly a return of normal bus service is dependent on when public bus guidelines go back to greater capacity.

prunudo wrote: »
    The buses have been back about 3 weeks now. Each bus divided in two for bubbles of 6 I believe. Also seemingly a return of normal bus service is dependent on when public bus guidelines go back to greater capacity.

Its a group rate of 125 per "bubble" which at the moment is out of my reach with only myself and my son traveling up. Fingers crossed normal service is resumed and we get a few decent afternoons back up there !

Advertisement