Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What system should I get?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on which system to go for.

My house is hard wired for an alarm system but I'd like to add some smarts to it. I don't want one of those systems where everything is battery powered and relies completely on wireless tech.

Ideally I'd like it to use WiFi for notifications and remote arming/disarming etc but I'd still like a siren outside and for it to work it the WiFi goes down.

I don't think monitored is worth it so that wouldn't be required.

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

WLad wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice on which system to go for.

My house is hard wired for an alarm system but I'd like to add some smarts to it. I don't want one of those systems where everything is battery powered and relies completely on wireless tech.

Ideally I'd like it to use WiFi for notifications and remote arming/disarming etc but I'd still like a siren outside and for it to work it the WiFi goes down.

I don't think monitored is worth it so that wouldn't be required.

What are my options?

When you say wired, are your perimeter windows and doors wired ?

You can still get wired devices fitted to those existing cables from a Control Panel that has wired and wireless inputs.

When you say you would like a siren to work outside, if your wifi goes down, do you mean you are happy for your alarm just to make noise and not notify you if it activates while your Wifi is down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

kub wrote: »
    When you say wired, are your perimeter windows and doors wired ?

You can still get wired devices fitted to those existing cables from a Control Panel that has wired and wireless inputs.

When you say you would like a siren to work outside, if your wifi goes down, do you mean you are happy for your alarm just to make noise and not notify you if it activates while your Wifi is down ?

Yeah there are cables hanging from the corner of every room and the doors all have a wire over them. I don't think any of my windows have wires.

Yeah basically I'd like it to work regardless of whether the wifi is working, but when the WiFi is working then I'd like to be able to control it and if it is set off get a push notification.

Do you have an example of a control panel that is wired but can use the WiFi as well? What companies would install something like this, or is this standard? Completely new to home alarm systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

WLad wrote: »
    Yeah there are cables hanging from the corner of every room and the doors all have a wire over them. I don't think any of my windows have wires.

Yeah basically I'd like it to work regardless of whether the wifi is working, but when the WiFi is working then I'd like to be able to control it and if it is set off get a push notification.

Do you have an example of a control panel that is wired but can use the WiFi as well? What companies would install something like this, or is this standard? Completely new to home alarm systems.

The system is just wired for a trap system.
    Down side is intruder is in your home by the time a PIR will trigger, also at night most of these would be off to allow you access around the home. Perimeter protection, meaning covering windows and doors is a better solution.

They systems are hybrid meaning you can have wired and wire free devices.
    These would use their own wirefree signal to each device.

If you just want A wifi module for self monitoring have a look at the UTC ATS system. With this you can have system just connected to your wifi but please note when wifi is off you have no backup for the app.

Advertisement