Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Durkan (FG) TD: TDs on 100 grand struggling to buy in Dublin

Options

Comments

Cry me a bleedin' river, many of us down the country are having to make ends meet on PUP. Marie Antoinette wouldn't get a look in with that kind of carry on, Durkan is a malingering parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

My heart bleeds for the poor creature, perhaps we could do a whip round for him to get a gaff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/oh-councillors-will-get-their-50pc-pay-hike-all-right-40167207.html

A real sob story if ever there was one. :rolleyes:

Absolutely staggering how out of touch some of our politicians are.

His claim may well be true, but my sympathies lie with those hard working people on a fraction of that salary and without the benefits of a cushty expenses system to fleece stuck renting for ever.

Why do you think that's out of touch? If he's struggling on 100k don't you think he knows that it would be harder if someone was earning less.

An actual out of touch remark would sound like "well myself and my wife earn 100k each so if you can't afford a house go get yourself a better job"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why do you think that's out of touch? If he's struggling on 100k don't you think he knows that it would be harder if someone was earning less.

An actual out of touch remark would sound like "well myself and my wife earn 100k each so if you can't afford a house go get yourself a better job"

Which his exact point, if you can't buy with 100k what luck are you to have with 50k, 30k etc.

We need more houses available to buy in this country to bring supply up.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

We are working on two new housing estates in Dublin. The first houses are at foundation level. An investment company has bought 70 houses on each estate and will be renting them out. That's half the houses in those estates.

The housing shortage and house prices will only get worse if this is the kind of thing his government is allowing to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

17larsson wrote: »
    We are working on two new housing estates in Dublin. The first houses are at foundation level. An investment company has bought 70 houses on each estate and will be renting them out. That's half the houses in those estates.

The housing shortage and house prices will only get worse if this is the kind of thing his government is allowing to happen

Thats awful, how would you stop it though?

Like I can think of things but all seem they msy be unconstitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If an investment company has bought 70 units to rent then that's 70 additional units available to renters.

If they agreed this purchase prior to the development being started then it's probably 70+ additional units that would otherwise not have been built. That investment could well be responsible for your current income.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Phoebas wrote: »
    If an investment company has bought 70 units to rent then that's 70 additional units available to renters.

If they agreed this purchase prior to the development being started then it's probably 70+ additional units that would otherwise not have been built. That investment could well be responsible for your current income.

No, they were only bought after the site had started. The rest of the houses on one of the sites have deposits on them as well so completely sold out before a roof goes on the first house. They would have sold easily to normal people.

The developers are happy and fair play to them for getting them sold so quickly but It doesn't seem right to allow that to happen when so many people are looking to buy but as Thunberg said maybe there is no way to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

No, they were only bought after the site had started. The rest of the houses on one of the sites have deposits on them as well so completely sold out before a roof goes on the first house. They would have sold easily to normal people.

The developers are happy and fair play to them for getting them sold so quickly but It doesn't seem right to allow that to happen when so many people are looking to buy but as Thunberg said maybe there is no way to stop it

It should be part of the planning conditions
    only sold one at a time to couples or single people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

And now they'll rent to normal people.

Not seeing what the problem is - we need more investment in housing in the country. In other European countries, the likes of pension funds invest heavily in property for long term modest but stable rental returns. It's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It should be part of the planning conditions
    only sold one at a time to couples or single people

Of course the taxpayer will be funding the investment as they will ve paying the ‘rent allowance’ handed out to non working and the permanently disinclined to bother cos its not wirth their effort to go out, take a full time job and earn a living and pay their way. So long as the government and politicians like this create a cloud where anyone from the age of 17 can declare themselves ‘homeless’ and be given a house for life paid for by the taxpayer for e20 a week you can expect our country to be a mecca for investors like these. The taxpayer pays their mortgage and they retain a sellable asset in an upward housing market - winwin.

As for the politician - Bernard Duncan - both tou and ge forgot to mention the ANNUAL - tax free - no receipts needed or aueations asked 60k ( yes, SIXTY THOUSAND) handout for UNVOUCHED ‘expenses’ he puts his form
    in and recieves - whether or not he incurred any expenses at all. This makes his annual salary 160,000 excluding the 10,000 he might get
    for aitting as chairman on a committee, etc.

The annual unvouched handout of 60,000 alone - not taxed - represents decades of saving & sacrifice and is an unobtainable lifetime goal fir mny to save - yet he is handed it ON TOP of his salary - no questions asked - EVERY YEAR.

if Bernard Duncan can’t buy a house with that kind of handout annually stuffed in his bank account and a ‘basic’ salary of 100k what is he doing in charge if anything other than a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe he thinks if he complains he’ll
    get a write down on the price or a free one himself? Seems to have worked in principle for him before...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/acc-bank-wrote-off-20000-for-tax-inquiry-td-26139110.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There are lots of 3 bed houses in Dublin for less than 250k. You would just have to live in a less salubrious area but many are still close enough to town in Finglas, Ballyfermot, Blanch, Clondalkin etc.
    These articles where you have 2 professionals on 80 grand each saying they can't afford to buy a house annoy me. You mean you can't afford to buy a house in Blackrock or Sandymount and you're not willing to slum it with the less well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are lots of 3 bed houses in Dublin for less than 250k. You would just have to live in a less salubrious area but many are still close enough to town in Finglas, Ballyfermot, Blanch, Clondalkin etc.
    These articles where you have 2 professionals on 80 grand each saying they can't afford to buy a house annoy me. You mean you can't afford to buy a house in Blackrock or Sandymount and you're not willing to slum it with the less well off.
    True. We chose to "slum it" rather than continue paying someone else's mortgage for a flat in a sought after area. Best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

True. We chose to "slum it" rather than continue paying someone else's mortgage for a flat in a sought after area. Best decision ever.

Ditto, and I have a tiny mortgage not far from a dart station and less than 30 mins cycle to Grafton st.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,994 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have a house in brussels, in mayo and in Dublin. And I tell you, you'd want to try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have a house in brussels, in mayo and in Dublin. And I tell you, you'd want to try it some time.

Original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I think your minimizing a bit when your saying, the areas that you can buy a 3 bed house in Dublin aren't Blackrock or Sandymount.

The not bad areas of Finglas, Ballyfermot, Blanch and Clondalkin, all go for north of 250,000, its only the worse neighborhoods of those areas that you'l get a 3 bed house for under 250K.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Politicians should get rented accommodation in Finglas and a pension like a factory worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Phoebas wrote: »
    And now they'll rent to normal people.

Not seeing what the problem is - we need more investment in housing in the country. In other European countries, the likes of pension funds invest heavily in property for long term modest but stable rental returns. It's a good thing.

Many normal people are being priced out of the market by these companies. Many normal people can't afford their rents.
    Many normal tax payers will be subsidising such people.
    Do you see what the problem is?

• Advertisement
Advertisement