Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple March Event 23rd

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

askpt wrote: »
    This can be related with your home network as well. Until I upgraded to a proper router system my Home devices were slow to respond. Currently it’s at normal speed.

If that was the case then Alexa would be affected, I have a mesh system in my house and I get consistent speeds of 500mb+ throughout the whole house and thats on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands, and i find Siri terrible compared to Alexa and Google also actually. My young lad uses Google hub and thats very responsive also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

askpt wrote: »
    This can be related with your home network as well. Until I upgraded to a proper router system my Home devices were slow to respond. Currently it’s at normal speed.

As above, I have a TP Link Deco M9 mesh network with three access points. Blazing speed and stability for every other device and service in the house. Now, I'm not saying that Siri/HomeKit isn't sensitive to network quality, but there's very little I could upgrade to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've said it before, but Siri is the primary reason I didn't buy a HomePod. And CarPlay is the daily reminder that hammers home that message. Siri is absolute frustrating to use. I'd estimate nearly half of my interactions with Siri are a failure. There's nothing smart about it. Alexa on the other hand is a joy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

As above, I have a TP Link Deco M9 mesh network with three access points. Blazing speed and stability for every other device and service in the house. Now, I'm not saying that Siri/HomeKit isn't sensitive to network quality, but there's very little I could upgrade to.

With a good mesh network is really impossible to blame the network. Regarding Alexa, I may be wrong, but I believe it connects using Alexa skill to Philips Hue web service and it makes a little bit “faster”? Between the lights and hub it’s ZigBee so not really related with the assistant you use.

Currently I only have HomeKit devices and Homebridge exposing a few. The only “lag” I found it’s with LG TV (HomeKit native but not that reliable).

P.S.: I don’t use Alexa (just tested a few times) so I can be wrong with this assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys would you buy a 2020 iPad Air this week for €550 or hold off and see what's announced this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Guys would you buy a 2020 iPad Air this week for €550 or hold off and see what's announced this week?

Hold off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Hold off and see, it’s only a few days. But there absolutely nothing wrong with the Air 2020. Great devices and will be for years if you bought it.

Think it’s only new iPad Pros for this event? The upgrades in the iPads will be minuscule from what I’m reading. New screen, chip and port I think. Have the latest Pro as of now and it’s an unbelievable device. They’re running out of room for improvement.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Hold off and see, it’s only a few days. But there absolutely nothing wrong with the Air 2020. Great devices and will be for years if you bought it.

Think it’s only new iPad Pros for this event? The upgrades in the iPads will be minuscule from what I’m reading. New screen, chip and port I think. Have the latest Pro as of now and it’s an unbelievable device. They’re running out of room for improvement.

I've cancelled my order for the 2020 Air. It was discounted on Amazon the other day to £470 and the price is what caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

iPad Air 4 will not be updated. It was only released last October!!

The updates will likely be the iPad Pro 2020 (it's spec is now quite similar to the Air 4) and a new iPad mini.

£470 was a fantastic price for the Air 4. Unlikely to be that price again as it was more than a £100 below retail. 20% off an Apple RRP is almost unheard of for the latest version of one of its products. You should have held on to it. You have three months to return to Amazon in the unlikely event that something new does come along.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    iPad Air 4 will not be updated. It was only released last October!!

The updates will likely be the iPad Pro 2020 (it's spec is now quite similar to the Air 4) and a new iPad mini.

£470 was a fantastic price for the Air 4. Unlikely to be that price again as it was more than a £100 below retail. 20% off an Apple RRP is almost unheard of for the latest version of one of its products. You should have held on to it. You have three months to return to Amazon in the unlikely event that something new does come along.

I can't get it now as the order has been cancelled. It was coming in at €549 using Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I can't get it now as the order has been cancelled. It was coming in at €549 using Revolut.

Yeah too late once cancelled. That would have been a saving of €130 off the Irish price or just under 20%. Even the refurbished price (which they haven't started yet as the device is so new) will never go that low.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

All reports are suggesting that this event has been postponed and pushed out to April.

Is it wrong that i was really looking forward to this, damn lockdown...don't really have much else to look forward to, eh?

eeloe wrote: »
    All reports are suggesting that this event has been postponed and pushed out to April.

Is it wrong that i was really looking forward to this, damn lockdown...don't really have much else to look forward to, eh?

Any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Any reason why?

Looks like the March date was misinformation. I wonder were Apple trolling Jon Prosser (and other leakers), who often says he'll shave off his eyebrows if the leaks he breaks aren't true.

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1372343185364647936

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1372130203590352899

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Anyone think the April event will have AirPods? I was gonna buy the wireless charging case ones in January and said I'd hold off until the rumoured March Apple event, but now I'm seeing reports that AirPods won't be updated until quarter 3 which is too long a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Anyone think the April event will have AirPods? I was gonna buy the wireless charging case ones in January and said I'd hold off until the rumoured March Apple event, but now I'm seeing reports that AirPods won't be updated until quarter 3 which is too long a wait.

For what it's worth – the current AirPods are a really good product.

The left ear in my first set stopped working properly after about two years of (ab)use, and I took that as an opportunity to upgrade to AirPods Pro. The noise cancelling in these (and the ability to turn it off temporarily when you need to) is magnificent.

Even if Apple bring out new ones I really can't see myself upgrading.

In short, if you want them now, I'd suggest buying them now :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    The left ear in my first set stopped working properly after about two years of (ab)use, and I took that as an opportunity to upgrade to AirPods Pro. The noise cancelling in these (and the ability to turn it off temporarily when you need to) is magnificent.

Thanks a mil! I’m looking at getting the standard ones this weekend. I’ve never found any sort of earphones with soft tips to sit right in my ear, and my partner let me test his wireless earphones today. I tried all the tips that came with his and they just weren’t for me.

I’ve been hesitant on getting AirPods for years but it feels like everyone has them now, so I’m gonna take the plunge!

Noxegon wrote: »
    For what it's worth – the current AirPods are a really good product.

In short, if you want them now, I'd suggest buying them now :)

The noise cancellation on the Pros is an incredible feature. I couldn’t see myself ever having headphones without them now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’d give it another week or two and see if the event is actually happening in April.

I’d wait, be kickin yourself buying a set now and a new set could be released so soon.

eeloe wrote: »
    I’d give it another week or two and see if the event is actually happening in April.

Haha, I literally just went and bought my pair this morning! Maybe I'll hold off on opening them up, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Looks like the March date was misinformation. I wonder were Apple trolling Jon Prosser (and other leakers), who often says he'll shave off his eyebrows if the leaks he breaks aren't true.

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1372343185364647936

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1372130203590352899

Apple don't do this stuff to troll. they do it to see which employees in the marketing department are leaking this info to these "leakers" and rightly firing them :)

Advertisement