Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magpie Nest near birdboxes

• 08-03-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've attached a picture of a tree at the back of my house. I put the two birdboxes up two years ago and have have Blue Tits nesting in the lower one the last two years. However, earlier this year magpies have built a nest close to the upper box, you might be able to make it out. So far there is no signs of the Blue Tits nesting and I'm wondering if the other Magpie nest is putting them off?

Is there anything I can do? I think it might be a bit too late for this year, but if I removed the Magpie nest in the Autumn would that be enough to encourage the Blue Tits to return on 2022??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Villan11 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've attached a picture of a tree at the back of my house. I put the two birdboxes up two years ago and have have Blue Tits nesting in the lower one the last two years. However, earlier this year magpies have built a nest close to the upper box, you might be able to make it out. So far there is no signs of the Blue Tits nesting and I'm wondering if the other Magpie nest is putting them off?

Is there anything I can do? I think it might be a bit too late for this year, but if I removed the Magpie nest in the Autumn would that be enough to encourage the Blue Tits to return on 2022??

Thanks!

when did the magpies move in? As far as I'm aware you can't legally remove the nests as they are protected

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Both nestboxes looked horribly exposed anyway and it might be better to relocate them if they aren't occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Blue Tits nest in April so they might be gone by then. If they were in the wild you would not be aware of it.

Advertisement