Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Augeo wrote: »
    Wonder did he always want to be a sales rep. Best of luck to him.

He did. He just didn't know it until he met Megan.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

A very good post.

On the subject of Harry’s mental health issues and not meaning to make little of them, were they more grieving issues rather the more serious mental health ones, I wonder?

I believe they were grieving issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He did. He just didn't know it until he met Megan.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

A very good post.

On the subject of Harry’s mental health issues and not meaning to make little of them, were they more grieving issues rather the more serious mental health ones, I wonder?

Those aren't always mutually exclusive. I'm going to guess here that his mother's public and sudden death, the publicity and media scrutiny and speculation after it and the forcing of him to walk behind his Mummy's coffin like a tiny, stoic man in the full gaze of billions of eyes had a deeply traumatizing effect. Sudden deaths can be really traumatizing and the effects of trauma can last a lifetime if not recognised and treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Former drug users may make an absolutely wonderful counsellor to present drug addicts. But their experience alone will not be sufficient to enable them to start counselling patients. They will have to go through the pre-requisite training. And when one is pronouncing advice on a national level, one would expect that the burden of necessary training is higher. My judgement will depend on how he pivots himself.

Even the reporting of certain mental health issues carries weighty ethical issues. Take suicide as an example. Reporters have to ensure that a suicide story is reported in a very careful and sensitive manner, to ensure that there are not any adverse outcomes as a result of the report.

Advocating for mental health in an ethical fashion carries a significant burden of responsibility

BetterUp is apparently a unicorn company.

BettyS wrote: »
    BetterUp is apparently a unicorn company.

What?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What?

It is worth more than 1 billion. Seriously, how??? What am I missing?

It is just so magnanimous of Harry to offer his (lack of) skills to this one billion dollar start up company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Former drug users may make an absolutely wonderful counsellor to present drug addicts. But their experience alone will not be sufficient to enable them to start counselling patients. They will have to go through the pre-requisite training. And when one is pronouncing advice on a national level, one would expect that the burden of necessary training is higher. My judgement will depend on how he pivots himself.

Even the reporting of certain mental health issues carries weighty ethical issues. Take suicide as an example. Reporters have to ensure that a suicide story is reported in a very careful and sensitive manner, to ensure that there are not any adverse outcomes as a result of the report.

Advocating for mental health in an ethical fashion carries a significant burden of responsibility

I don't think Harry's role will be doing one-to-one counselling. High profile people are often used to advocate for mental health issues. For example, Alan Quinlan, the former rugby player has been going around to schools talking about his experience of depression and I don't think he has provided any counselling services. Or Bressie is another example. You actually need people who have suffered from depression to explain what happened to them and maybe say what their coping mechanisms are and then point them in the right direction if they need professional help.

It is worth more than 1 billion. Seriously, how??? What am I missing?

Americans are big into mental help. Did you ever watch the Sopranos or Dr Phil! Yanks are always talking about their ''shrink''.

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't think Harry's role will be doing one-to-one counselling. High profile people are often used to advocate for mental health issues. For example, Alan Quinlan, the former rugby player has been going around to schools talking about his experience of depression and I don't think he has provided any counselling services. Or Bressie is another example. You actually need people who have suffered from depression to explain what happened to them and maybe say what their coping mechanisms are and then point them in the right direction if they need professional help.

I'm happy to do that for free. Why should recounting your experiences incur a fee?

I'm happy to do that for free. Why should recounting your experiences incur a fee?

Do you have a job? How often can tell your story? Can you visit all the schools in Ireland? Who puts petrol in the car? Do you need 24/7 security that costs $2.5m a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Americans are big into mental help. Did you ever watch the Sopranos or Dr Phil! Yanks are always talking about their ''shrink''.

Even Tonys shrink had a shrink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

A very good post.

Suppressed or unrecognised grief is often at the root of the more serious mental health problems

Do you have a job? How often can tell your story? Can you visit all the schools in Ireland? Who puts petrol in the car? Do you need 24/7 security that costs $2.5m a year?

I wasnt referring to the rugby player, I was referring to Harry. I presume he wont be doing school visits. And I wouldn't accept remuneration for sharing my experience of depression/anxiety or PTSD. It shouldn't be a source of income .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Those aren't always mutually exclusive. I'm going to guess here that his mother's public and sudden death, the publicity and media scrutiny and speculation after it and the forcing of him to walk behind his Mummy's coffin like a tiny, stoic man in the full gaze of billions of eyes had a deeply traumatizing effect. Sudden deaths can be really traumatizing and the effects of trauma can last a lifetime if not recognised and treated.

I feel really sorry for Harry. One day he will recognise that he gave an interview to the TV station, which was the only one to show the picture of his dying mother in a documentary in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If there is any good that comes from this Harry and Meghan debacle, it is the shared learning experiences about real mental health issues that are discussed in the last few pages of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

JoChervil wrote: »
    Suppressed or unrecognised grief is often at the root of the more serious mental health problems

This is very true.
    Particularly loss in childhood that's not addressed.

There's a notion that children are resilient, that they bounce back and cope great.
    The truth is though that they don't, they try an maintain their routine and their relationships on a basis of "same".

Their resilience is really just them hanging on to what they knew because they don't know how to adapt and readjust.

• Advertisement

I wasnt referring to the rugby player, I was referring to Harry. I presume he wont be doing school visits. And I wouldn't accept remuneration for sharing my experience of depression/anxiety or PTSD. It shouldn't be a source of income .

Lucky you that you don't need to get paid and that you have another job. The people in Pieta House get paid for what they do (including the fundraisers that raise the money to help pay for the services).

Why should he not get paid? What is he meant to live on? Harry will probably be visiting companies all over the US. He will be encouraging people to seek help paid for by the company they work for.

Lucky you that you don't need to get paid and that you have another job. The people in Pieta House get paid for what they do (including the fundraisers that raise the money to help pay for the services).

Why should he not get paid? What is he meant to live on? Harry will probably be visiting companies all over the US. He will be encouraging people to seek help paid for by the company they work for.

Provided he is not too ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

There are some posts today that I wish that I could like more than once!

I find it a bit galling that Harry has announced that he hopes to advance his pursuit of dedicating his life to helping others in this role. This is jarring when I think of how much money he will earn from this. He makes it sound like a charitable pursuit

You're right, it is galling.

If he is so selfless he could have advanced his pursuit of dedicating his life to helping others in his role as a member of the Royal Family but

a) It comes across that he doesn't seem to like being the little brother of the future king
    b) he wouldn't be allowed make money out of it

He's now becoming as much as a grifter as Donald Trump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

dogbert27 wrote: »
    You're right, it is galling.

If he is so selfless he could have advanced his pursuit of dedicating his life to helping others in his role as a member of the Royal Family but

a) It comes across that he doesn't seem to like being the little brother of the future king
    b) he wouldn't be allowed make money out of it

He's now becoming as much as a grifter as Donald Trump

Well fuk me, a comparison between Harry and Donald Trump. WOW fuk me.

Jesus Christ people bring Trump into everything. Y'all miss Trump terribly.

SAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Saw this headline this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jeez, generalise much?!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jeez, generalise much?!

I know and very one sided too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that’s charming isn’t it. If you have that point of view then lots of things by white people are open to misrepresentation.

The people in Pieta House are professionals providing a professional service. Why should you be paid a small fortune for saying"this is my experience, this us what happened to me, this is what helped me, don't be ashamed in asking for help?' That shouldn't be a job. Besides, the kind if assistance Harry can access at a drop if the hat compared to most people is incomparable. Can you imagine what kind if 'help' is available to an uninsured person in the states? All that money being fired at 'raising awareness'. How about throwing it into the funding of facilities and services instead? What do you mean, how will he live? He's a soldier, isn't he? I imagine he obtained plenty of extremely useful and marketable skills in the military. True, they might not pay for a mansion, and the staff to clean it, cook for you, wash your clothes and drive you around, but you wont be hungry. And then there's the few mill Mammy left. Oh yeah, and his wife is a successful actor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Absolutely! I have read extensively on the basis of my loved-one’s struggles. There is a difference between the treatment and the maintenance phase. Sleep, Eat, Exercise and all the other bits will reduce the risk of recurrence in the maintenance phase. But they cannot 100% guarantee no recurrence. And in the treatment phase, they are an adjunct treatment. Other treatments are often necessary.

My pet hate is people saying “sure, take a walk or deep breath and you’ll be grand”. Mental health is an illness. People wouldn’t be expected to walk on a broken leg or told that some app will fix it for them.

I always worry when somebody speaks out and starts advising on mental health, that they may give erroneous advice. Harry does not have the qualifications to ensure that he is giving a balanced and safe advice to those people. He will have to tread carefully. Imagine, if he started coming out and giving advice on reducing risk of a heart attack. It is one thing him giving his personal account as somebody who experienced mental health issues. It will be another if he tries to give guidance on other people’s mental health

Yeah, a friend of mine went through very serious mental health problems over a decade ago - we’re talking a very real suicide attempt here. Afterwards, he decided to train as a mental health counsellor and then realised it was too intense for him and not a good idea. Experiencing mental health problems doesn’t mean you’ll be any good at advising others on them.

Advertisement