Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I wasnt referring to the rugby player, I was referring to Harry. I presume he wont be doing school visits. And I wouldn't accept remuneration for sharing my experience of depression/anxiety or PTSD. It shouldn't be a source of income .

Why shouldn't it be a source of income? Why do we pay people for nearly every other service but when it comes to charity or mental health, people insist that volunteers need to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Why shouldn't it be a source of income? Why do we pay people for nearly every other service but when it comes to charity or mental health, people insist that volunteers need to do it?

I'm not suggesting that mental health workers should do so for free, far from it. I'm saying that sharing your experience is in no way compsrable to providing a professional service. I've shared my experiences and would be happy to do so again. Its not work by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

He won’t be getting paid for any ‘work’, he’s getting paid for his identity. Will probably be talks and meet and greets, the things he’s supposed to have hated doing as a working royal though. He said his father and brother are trapped, but he seems to be just as trapped in this new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Multipass wrote: »
    He won’t be getting paid for any ‘work’, he’s getting paid for his identity. Will probably be talks and meet and greets, the things he’s supposed to have hated doing as a working royal though. He said his father and brother are trapped, but he seems to be just as trapped in this new life.
    Basically a media whore, albeit one who wants to avoid the spotlight.

Very confusing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He’s basically the mascot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I just saw that he is billed on the company website as "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex". If he is working for this private company in a private capacity, why is that the case? Shouldn't he just be harry whatever his last name is?

I thought they weren't allowed to use the titles to make money, which is basically what this is. I dont think he got the job based on his work experience and education tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The people in Pieta House are professionals providing a professional service. Why should you be paid a small fortune for saying"this is my experience, this us what happened to me, this is what helped me, don't be ashamed in asking for help?' That shouldn't be a job. Besides, the kind if assistance Harry can access at a drop if the hat compared to most people is incomparable. Can you imagine what kind if 'help' is available to an uninsured person in the states? All that money being fired at 'raising awareness'. How about throwing it into the funding of facilities and services instead? What do you mean, how will he live? He's a soldier, isn't he? I imagine he obtained plenty of extremely useful and marketable skills in the military. True, they might not pay for a mansion, and the staff to clean it, cook for you, wash your clothes and drive you around, but you wont be hungry. And then there's the few mill Mammy left. Oh yeah, and his wife is a successful actor.

So you don't have an issue with say the fundraisers who organise the volunteers getting paid? This is Harry's job description (from Irish Times). He will not be counselling people.

As chief impact officer at BetterUp prince Harry will help with driving awareness of the need to improve mental health provision, work on product strategy, and advise on charitable collaborations. Harry has already worked closely with mental health charities.
    He founded the Invictus Games, an event for injured or sick armed service personnel to use sport as part of their psychological and physical rehabilitation, and launched Sentebale, a charity that supports the mental health and wellbeing of young people affected by HIV in Lesotho and Botswana.

My understanding of ''driving awareness'' is speaking to the management of companies and getting them to look after their staff's mental health. From what I see of the company, they have about 2000 counsellors, so I doubt if he will be doing any one-to-ones. As you can also see from that, he has founded two charitable foundations already.

By the way - military experience usually means really good organisational skills. I think he retired as a Captain.

With a security/protection bill of $2.5m per year, both Harry & Meghan need fairly well paid jobs.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I just saw that he is billed on the company website as "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex". If he is working for this private company in a private capacity, why is that the case? Shouldn't he just be harry whatever his last name is?

I thought they weren't allowed to use the titles to make money, which is basically what this is. I dont think he got the job based on his work experience and education tbh.

Doesn't work like that. Tony Armstrong-Jones (the photographer) kept the title Lord Snowden & Viscount Linley after he divorced Princess Margaret and their son inheritated that title.

ceadaoin. wrote: »

The HRH Prince Henry is gone, he's now Harry, Duke of Sussex.

Same happened Diana and Fergie.

I don’t begrudge him getting paid for this but does he deserve to earn into the millions for it? No. He has zero credentials for this role, whatever the role even is, it seems like they just made up a title (hehe) for him and he will be wheeled out at corporate events to talk about mental ‘elf. I guess he is no different to an influencer in that regard, earning ridiculous money to talk spoof talk. Will he be on Instagram shilling teeth whitening strips next?!

• Advertisement

I don’t begrudge him getting paid for this but does he deserve to earn into the millions for it? No. He has zero credentials for this role, whatever the role even is, it seems like they just made up a title (hehe) for him and he will be wheeled out at corporate events to talk about mental ‘elf. I guess he is no different to an influencer in that regard, earning ridiculous money to talk spoof talk. Will he be on Instagram shilling teeth whitening strips next?!
    I'd imagine he'll be given a spiel, it will be rehearsed and he'll deliver it. Meghan will probably sit beside him so they don't have to let go of each other's hand.

I'd imagine he'll be given a spiel, it will be rehearsed and he'll deliver it. Meghan will probably sit beside him so they don't have to let go of each other's hand.

I bet bring the wife to work day will be everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

It is the lack of his qualifications in the field and the very large amount that seem a bit sordid.

Also, if you look at the website, they are using the mental health element as a USP. It is all corporate stuff, to be the best you. Its ideals are unlikely to help people in the throes of a major mental health crisis. Don’t be fooled. This is a profit-gaining venture.

It is the equivalent of a super charity like focus just sending out a few “goodie-bags” for the homeless, and using the rest of funds for the investors. Focus dedicates its whole being to helping the homeless. There is no doubt about this. Have a look at the Silicon Valley company and it’s very clear that it’s not a charity

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Pieta house is a wonderful charity that does not seek to make profit and it offers counselling to anybody in distress. I certainly would never put it in the same category as BetterUp

jm08 wrote: »

By the way - military experience usually means really good organisational skills. I think he retired as a Captain.

I would think him being a member of the RF was key in that career progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The HRH Prince Henry is gone, he's now Harry, Duke of Sussex.

Same happened Diana and Fergie.

They changed his actual name too?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

begbysback wrote: »
    They changed his actual name too?

No he was christened Henry so that's on official documents etc but Harry was used as his given name in general usage.

Meanwhile, back in Blighty, the Royal Family are celebrating the arrival of Lucas Philip Tindall. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9396559/Zara-Tindall-gives-birth-baby-boy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

I bet bring the wife to work day will be everyday

What Meghan wants, Meghan gets after all!

Augeo wrote: »

A quick Google mentions "Honorary ranks and titles", they don't start at the bottom and work their way up.

• Advertisement

He did two tours in Afghanistan. He had to be pulled out because it became known where he actually was. I don't think he would be in charge of troops in a war zone just because he was a member of the RF - in fact the opposite would be true about being in a war zone in the first place. So fair play to him for doing that.

A quick Google mentions "Honorary ranks and titles", they don't start at the bottom and work their way up.

Here is a summary of his active army career. Starting at Sandhurst for officer training.

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harrys-military-career

Prince Philip was a serving officer in the Navy, so military service is in the blood.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Meanwhile, back in Blighty, the Royal Family are celebrating the arrival of Lucas Philip Tindall. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9396559/Zara-Tindall-gives-birth-baby-boy.html

See, that's how going your own way from the royal family is done.

Harry and Meghan could have done it this way if they wanted. But they wanted to be Hollywood royalty.

He did two tours in Afghanistan. He had to be pulled out because it became known where he actually was. I don't think he would be in charge of troops in a war zone just because he was a member of the RF - in fact the opposite would be true about being in a war zone in the first place. So fair play to him for doing that.

Yes, we all know he was in Afghanistan. What did he do to get Captain do you reckon?

https://www.forces.net/news/prince-harry-what-are-his-military-titles-and-patronages

"In 2007, the prince was deployed to Afghanistan for 10 weeks, working as a forward air controller, coordinating airstrikes on Taliban positions.

However, his tour ended early following reports in international media of his whereabouts."

"The Duke of Sussex then retrained as an Apache pilot in the Army Air Corps and returned to Afghanistan in 2012 as a helicopter co-pilot and gunner"

The timeline doesn't suggest he worked his way to it IMO......

Prince Harry is returning the following military appointments:

Captain General Royal Marines
    Honorary Air Commandant, RAF Honington
    Commodore-in-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command......................
    In June 2018, Prince Harry received promotions in all three services, becoming Major in the British Army, Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, and Squadron Leader in the Royal Air Force.

BettyS wrote: »
    Pieta house is a wonderful charity that does not seek to make profit and it offers counselling to anybody in distress. I certainly would never put it in the same category as BetterUp

But if you had a bit more of the ''Better Up'' encouraging companies to look after the mental health of their employees, Pieta House might not have to work so hard doing what they do, or the likes of Bressie and Alan Quinlan might not have to be giving talks all over the country telling people of their experience. Alan Quinlan is a really good person to listen to about his experience of depression, much of it brought on my what happened in his rugby career. Here you have this hard as nails rugby player telling everyone that he suffers from depression which will encourage others to go an seek help. Similarly with Harry - someone who appears to have everything doing something similar.

The Royal Family treated Meghan really badly by throwing her to the wolves of the press to protect William. Fairplay to her, she wasn't standing for it.

.............Pieta House might not have to work so hard doing what they do, or the likes of Bressie and Alan Quinlan might not have to be giving talks all over the country telling people of their experience.................

FFS Bressie is in it for the money, he doesn't HAVE to do it, he charges a fair whack for it. Alan Q does it for free does he?

FFS Bressie is in it for the money, he doesn't HAVE to do it, he charges a fair whack for it. Alan Q does it for free does he?

I don't have an issue with any of them getting paid for what they do. What they do is good.

Yes, we all know he was in Afghanistan. What did he do to get Captain do you reckon?

https://www.forces.net/news/prince-harry-what-are-his-military-titles-and-patronages

"In 2007, the prince was deployed to Afghanistan for 10 weeks, working as a forward air controller, coordinating airstrikes on Taliban positions.

However, his tour ended early following reports in international media of his whereabouts."

"The Duke of Sussex then retrained as an Apache pilot in the Army Air Corps and returned to Afghanistan in 2012 as a helicopter co-pilot and gunner"

The timeline doesn't suggest he worked his way to it IMO......

Prince Harry is returning the following military appointments:

Captain General Royal Marines
    Honorary Air Commandant, RAF Honington
    Commodore-in-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command......................
    In June 2018, Prince Harry received promotions in all three services, becoming Major in the British Army, Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, and Squadron Leader in the Royal Air Force.

All those titles were taken back as they were not earned. A bit like Michael D. being Commander and Chief which he loses once he steps down as President. He was commissioned into the Army and rose to the rank of Captain within 10 years. They were earned promotions in a real job.

BettyS wrote: »

This video of Harry launching a Better Mental health collaboration with the Ministry of Defence back in 2017 will give you a better idea of what he will actually be doing for BetterUp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzmJm7lWgHM

• Advertisement

I don't really see how Bressie going around to blue chip companies charging huge cash for an afternoon of chatting to a canteen full of folk can be seen as good tbh.

It's corporations ticking a box and Bressie picking up loads of cash. An amount totally out of proportion, getting someone in from Pieta House or similar and paying them the same would be good but that doesn't tick the same box.

Advertisement