Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

How much did it cost to invite them? Genuinely curious

It cost loads security wise to have them there.

But the majority of that money isn’t paying for ornate flowers, classy hors d’œuvres or entertainment: It’s going towards keeping the betrothed, their guests and the thousands of onlookers safe.

According to U.K. wedding site Bridebook, the cost of security, including snipers, undercover police and a counter-UAV system, will be about $40.1 million, or 94 percent of the total wedding budget.

By the way, the State paid for the security, the Firm paid for the wedding (Church, flowers, food, dresses etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

jm08 wrote: »
    According to this, 94% of the budget was on security. The actual wedding (flowers, dress, food etc) was about £2m.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/the-royal-wedding-may-cost-43-million-and-94-percent-of-that-is-for-security.html

Yes and security to protect the likes of Oprah would cost a lot more than security to protect Aunt Betty. Which is why that point was so absurd and nonsensical. Inviting a load of a listers also increases the security budget

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

According to this, 94% of the budget was on security. The actual wedding (flowers, dress, food etc) was about £2m.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/the-royal-wedding-may-cost-43-million-and-94-percent-of-that-is-for-security.html

So they could have afforded a few of her relatives then.

Yes and security to protect the likes of Oprah would cost a lot more than security to protect Aunt Betty. Which is why that point was so absurd and nonsensical. Inviting a load of a listers also increases the security budget

I don't follow your logic. Security would cost the same whether Aunt Betty was at it or not because the whole of the Royal family would be there.

The security cost for Obama & Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland cost €36 million. Harry and Meghan's overnight trip to Ireland cost the Irish State €300,000.

Maybe the Firm didn't want too many black Aunt Bettys at the wedding!

I don't follow your logic. Security would cost the same whether Aunt Betty was at it or not because the whole of the Royal family would be there.

The security cost for Obama & Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland cost €36 million. Harry and Meghan's overnight trip to Ireland cost the Irish State €300,000.

None of that should come at the expense of inviting family, if it’s something you really want. That poster suggested that maybe the family didn’t get an invite because the budget didn’t allow it. They had a budget of £32 million, no expense spared. To suggest that is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't think there really was family to invite bar the mother.
    She was estranged from all the dad's side at that point, has no siblings from her mother's side so she quite literally was an only child.
    If aunts and uncles are.old, then thats understandable they didn't want to travel.
    But people seem to be forgetting here that she did have a cohort of friends there from America and Canada like Priyanka, Jessica, the one who gave the elusive interview to Phil and Holly and a few colleagues from Suits.
    So it wasn't just celebrities from her side.

To thine own self be true

She was estranged from all the dad's side at that point, has no siblings from her mother's side so she quite literally was an only child.
    If aunts and uncles are.old, then thats understandable they didn't want to travel.
    But people seem to be forgetting here that she did have a cohort of friends there from America and Canada like Priyanka, Jessica, the one who gave the elusive interview to Phil and Holly and a few colleagues from Suits.

Priyanka, Jessica and the one who gave that interview are all celebrities!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

If that was the case, she definitely would have said it at the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They said "Woah, Black Betty!..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

You mean Jessica Mulroney who she didn't come out and condemn for public racist bullying?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/meghan-markle-mortified-over-jessica-mulroney-racism-scandal/6I37Y5BTN5O5VWHLLKU5OX367I/

Yet she has no problem making veiled allegations of racism against an entire Royal Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A few of her mother's friends should have been invited them, she must have felt so lonely in the church, never mind the reception after.

A few of her mother's friends should have been invited them, she must have felt so lonely in the church, never mind the reception after.

Well maybe they preferred to keep a low profile so as not to attract the attention that Doria had to put up with. You do realise Doria had to resign from her job because of media intrusion/harrassment which her place of work couldn't handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I find it quite interesting how you are indignantly pulling out the bullying card when one single poster suggests a whiff of misogyny off certain posts
    That was made about my post. In my view, the poster said my post was misogynist, not that there was just a whiff of misogyny.
    Thats not a nice thing to be accused of, plus all my actual points were ignored and now misogyny is the topic of discussion rather than what I actually said. So they win.
    Remind you of anything in Markle's interview??? :D Its a great tactic to shut people down.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

How many of the A-lister friends of Meghan's at the wedding pre-dated her relationship with Harry? Not many I'd say. I doubt that Oprah and most of them would have even taken her call before she started dating Harry. Now they are besties. It's all fake, but that's the LA /Hollywood lifestyle I suppose. And no matter how great you think it is hobnobbing with Hollywood royalty, or what a novelty it was at first, deep down you have to know that they are only friendly with you for your connection to they Royals and would have to bother you eventually on some level.

There have been lots of things posted throughout the thread. But off the top of my head, this former friend and business adviser of Meghan, they even went on holiday together. She wrote this article on how their friendship completely ceased once she met Harry. Grand, you might say. Sure the poor soul did she even have access to a phone to keep in touch. This girl relays how she saw Meghan at an event she attended with Harry and Meghan looked at her and completely ignored her. Baffling behaviour.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7876707/amp/Meghan-mission-bag-prince-RULE-world.html

Another who she ghosted when she started Suits

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/meghan-markles-school-friend-sad-22048595.amp

Friendships end for various reasons and no one would expect her to have maintained every friendship made since childhood, but ghosting people is remarkably rude and ignorant and says a lot about a person.

Then there is the glowing review her own brother gave her

An-open-letter-from-Thomas-Markle-Jn-to-Prince-Harry.jpg

An-open-letter-from-Thomas-Markle-Jn-to-Prince-Harry.jpg

And we all know her own father’s opinion on her.

Ditto for her sister.

And then there is the allegations of bullying by her former press secretary Jason Knauff..

“Knauf called out Meghan for allegedly being a boss from hell.
    According to The Times of London, the royal press secretary emailed Prince William’s private secretary, Simon Case, in 2018, complaining that Meghan was “bullying” junior staff in the palace.
    “I am very concerned that the Duchess was able to bully two PAs out of the household in the past year,” he wrote to Case, after first raising concerns with Samantha Carruthers, the head of HR, the Times said.
    “The Duchess seems intent on always having someone in her sights,” he continued. “She is bullying Y (name removed) and seeking to undermine her confidence.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/pagesix.com/2021/03/05/who-is-jason-knauf-source-of-the-meghan-markle-bullying-claims/amp/

And the former college roommate who came out and said Meghan was obsessed with Diana. “Tread carefully”, was her warning to Harry.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1328921/meghan-markle-news-princess-diana-royal-family-prince-harry-spt/amp

But the bullying of the staff is what really interests me. Where everything else could be excused as jealous scorned friends and family trying to get vengeance and trying to ruin this innocent person’s moment in the spotlight, it seems like there’s actually something substantial behind these allegations. And as for those who have spoken about in her defence with “glowing remarks”, I’m more interested in how she treats people who she clearly sees as beneath her, and discards old friends once no longer useful. Not 5 star reviews from other celebrities like Oprah and Gayle King.

You are taking the word of Jason Knauf who hired a friend as Markle PA whose only experience had been nanny to Robin Williams children (and thats why she was fired). She wasn't up to the job.

This is also the Jason Knauf who was trusted by Markle, helped draft the letter to her father and then leaked it to his other friend who is a Daily Mail journalist.

He then gets promoted by William & Catherine to CEO of their charity! Right!

Oh, and his time as spin doctor for RBS wasn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Neyite wrote: »
    How many of the A-lister friends of Meghan's at the wedding pre-dated her relationship with Harry? Not many I'd say. I doubt that Oprah and most of them would have even taken her call before she started dating Harry. Now they are besties. It's all fake, but that's the LA /Hollywood lifestyle I suppose. And no matter how great you think it is hobnobbing with Hollywood royalty, or what a novelty it was at first, deep down you have to know that they are only friendly with you for your connection to they Royals and would have to bother you eventually on some level.

Because it was not Meghan marrying into RF, it was Harry marrying into US PR company. All guests selected to advance her future career and support.

Has George Clooney and Elton John spoken out in their favour since the interview? Gayle King has been very quiet the last little while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Has George Clooney and Elton John spoken out in their favour since the interview? Gayle King has been very quiet the last little while too.

Her leaking of the private phone call between William and Harry seems to have backfired.

You are taking the word of Jason Knauf who hired a friend as Markle PA whose only experience had been nanny to Robin Williams children (and thats why she was fired). She wasn't up to the job.

This is also the Jason Knauf who was trusted by Markle, helped draft the letter to her father and then leaked it to his other friend who is a Daily Mail journalist.

He then gets promoted by William & Catherine to CEO of their charity! Right!

Oh, and his time as spin doctor for RBS wasn't great either.

So those minor things means he can’t possibly be right about the bullying and it doesn’t deserve to be investigated?

And the person you’re so hell bent on defending.
    This is the person who told the world she got married three days before her wedding, which they then had to come out and say never happened.
    Who told the world her son wasn’t given a title due to being black.
    Who was inaccurate about the reason he won’t get security.
    Who said the palace throw summer parties for tabloids.
    Who said she was left unsupported despite being given The Queen’s own secretary to help her adjust.
    Who said she had lost her voice despite giving more speeches in her short tenure than almost all of them together.
    She also guest edited vogue where she freely put forward her own political agenda, something that is a seriously rare occurrence for a neutral representative to do.
    Who said she wasn’t allowed out despite taking numerous trips abroad.
    Who told the world someone in the family is racist but deliberately obfuscated the details so they cannot be checked.
    Who said she had no access to mental help despite her husband being a patron to many charities and having her own personal team of doctors.
    Who sued ANL for invading her privacy yet has no problem invading the privacy of others by leaking private phone calls.
    Who has had many people from her past come out about her and say they were either dropped or ghosted when she made a name for herself, and I’m not talking about family.
    So don’t talk to me about spin doctors..

This is the person you are taking the word of.

And in spite of these glaring inconsistencies, some may say outright lies - you think Jason is the one who should fall under suspicion.

Okay..

JoChervil wrote: »
    Because it was not Meghan marrying into RF, it was Harry marrying into US PR company. All guests selected to advance her future career and support.

Sure the poor thing had to invite a load of a listers because she couldn’t afford to invite her family

• Advertisement

Sure the poor thing had to invite a load of a listers because she couldn’t afford to invite her family

Sur she had to fill those empty seats somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So those minor things means he can’t possibly be right about the bullying and it doesn’t deserve to be investigated?

This is the person who told the world she got married three days before her wedding, which they then had to come out and say never happened.
    Who told the world her son wasn’t given a title due to being black.
    Who was inaccurate about the reason he won’t get security.
    Who said the palace throw summer parties for tabloids.
    Who said she was left unsupported despite being given The Queen’s own secretary to help her adjust.
    Who said she had lost her voice despite giving more speeches in her short tenure than almost all of them together.
    She also guest edited vogue where she freely put forward her own political agenda, something that is a seriously rare occurrence for a neutral representative to do.
    Who said she wasn’t allowed out despite taking numerous trips abroad.
    Who told the world someone in the family is racist but deliberately obfuscated the details so they cannot be checked.
    Who said she had no access to mental help despite her husband being a patron to many charities and having her own personal team of doctors.
    Who sued ANL for invading her privacy yet has no problem invading the privacy of others by leaking private phone calls.
    Who has had many people from her past come out about her and say they were either dropped or ghosted when she made a name for herself, and I’m not talking about family.
    So don’t talk to me about spin doctors..

This is the person you are taking the word of.

And in spite of these glaring inconsistencies, some may say outright lies - you think Jason is the one who should fall under suspicion.

Okay..

ultimately yes, jason is unreliable so cannot be taken as gospal.
    megan on the other hand, is more or less reliable.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

ultimately yes, jason is unreliable so cannot be taken as gospal.
    megan on the other hand, is more or less reliable.

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything so ridiculous

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

JoChervil wrote: »

It appears that way now all right. On one level, I can understand it - she's an actress, most would be aiming for the kind of fame that involves awards, red carpets and hobnobbing with the very people at her wedding. I'm sure for years she endured endless auditions and rejections, and establishing yourself as an actress isn't easy. While she's worked consistently, until Suits it was mostly small parts, or supporting cast it seems. It would probably be a right blast to see all the Hollywood crowd fawn all over you when a couple of years ago they would have had their security throw you out had you tried to get near them. Fair play to her for milking those faux connections for all they are worth to her - that's what they are doing to her after all.
    When they were officially Royal they were tripping over themselves to associate with them. Didn't Clooney launch a tequlia around the same time? It's not the same when they are 'just' famous celebs and don't have the royal clout. And they aren't even Hollywood Royalty really, because their talent and hard work, and back catalogue of brilliant talent in the movies didn't get them to that elevated celebrity status. His birthright alone did.

To put it another way, if they divorced, and Harry remarried, who do you think they would lay out the baby showers and invites to exclusive A-list events for? His ex wife Meghan, or his new missus, the new HRH?

It's not a criticism of Meghan by the way, but more just pointing out her lifestyle is more or less at the mercy of her marriage to a Royal working out.

It appears that way now all right. On one level, I can understand it - she's an actress, most would be aiming for the kind of fame that involves awards, red carpets and hobnobbing with the very people at her wedding. I'm sure for years she endured endless auditions and rejections, and establishing yourself as an actress isn't easy. While she's worked consistently, until Suits it was mostly small parts, or supporting cast it seems. It would probably be a right blast to see all the Hollywood crowd fawn all over you when a couple of years ago they would have had their security throw you out had you tried to get near them. Fair play to her for milking those faux connections for all they are worth to her - that's what they are doing to her after all.

When they were officially Royal they were tripping over themselves to associate with them. Didn't Clooney launch a tequlia around the same time? It's not the same when they are 'just' famous celebs and don't have the royal clout. And they aren't even Hollywood Royalty really, because their talent and hard work, and back catalogue of brilliant talent in the movies didn't get them to that elevated celebrity status. His birthright alone did.

To put it another way, if they divorced, and Harry remarried, who do you think they would lay out the baby showers and invites to exclusive A-list events for? His ex wife Meghan, or his new missus, the new HRH?

It's not a criticism of Meghan by the way, but more just pointing out her lifestyle is more or less at the mercy of her marriage to a Royal working out.

I think she's hoping to build enough status for herself that if their marriage doesn't work out, she will continue to be famous in her own right.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Her leaking of the private phone call between William and Harry seems to have backfired.

I would say so.

Until Meghan started talking about private stuff, Harry never did. Doing a tell-all with a talk show host is not very A-lister, is it?

If you were an A-lister you'd be wondering if they are willing to blab about a phone call to Harry's own dad, and future King of England, what would they be willing to divulge about your privacy.

Also, her own bloody friends leaked the letter. 5 friends, to be exact. I wonder are they celebrities? I didn’t know she had even 5 friends at the wedding. The whole thing seems like it was written with the sole intent to be leaked. The delicate calligraphy and writing style and expression that wouldn’t look out of place in a classic novel.

Also, her own bloody friends leaked the letter. 5 friends, to be exact. I wonder are they celebrities? I didn’t know she had even 5 friends at the wedding. The whole thing seems like it was written with the sole intent to be leaked. The delicate calligraphy and writing style and expression that wouldn’t look out of place in a classic novel.

Written the person who used to write wedding invitations as a side line.

Its not minor to hire a friend who isn't trained or experienced to do a job as a PA and when found not up to the job, he claimed that she was bullied. Is it not true that that the people who he claimed were bullied didn't authorise that he act on them and now want to withdraw those accusations of bullying?

This is the person who told the world she got married three days before her wedding, which they then had to come out and say never happened. Does it really matter? For instance if you get married in France, you can have two ceremonies (church and state). Who actually cares when they got married? All most people were interested in was the pagentry of the occasion.

Who told the world her son wasn’t given a title due to being black. So why was he not given a title?

Who was inaccurate about the reason he won’t get security. I don't know what the inaccuracy is? Please inform.

Who said the palace throw summer parties for tabloids. Who cares if this happens?

Who said she was left unsupported despite being given The Queen’s own secretary to help her adjust. Who was that?

Who said she had lost her voice despite giving more speeches in her short tenure than almost all of them together. She was talking about the firm, not herself.

She also guest edited vogue where she freely put forward her own political agenda, something that is a seriously rare occurrence for a neutral representative to do. And what agenda is that? Why can't she have an agenda?

Who said she wasn’t allowed out despite taking numerous trips abroad. Without the permission of the palace who held her passport and carkeys.

Who told the world someone in the family is racist but deliberately obfuscated the details so they cannot be checked. Why can't they be checked. Maybe the person who asked the question about how dark the baby is might explain what they meant or are you claiming that this never happened.

The reason her mental health was bad was the racism displayed in the British tabloids which the royal family refused to counter and stand up for her.

Who sued ANL for invading her privacy yet has no problem invading the privacy of others by leaking private phone calls. Harry?

Who has had many people from her past come out about her and say they were either dropped or ghosted when she made a name for herself, and I’m not talking about family. Piers Morgan & the Markle clan. Then there are plenty who have come out in her defence. In fairness to Markle, she had to be careful with who she could trust.

So don’t talk to me about spin doctors.. Why not?

This is the person you are taking the word of. I'm not taking the word of anyone? Most of what you are getting annoyed about is small stuff. Hiring friends who are incapable of doing the job they were hired to do and then claiming they were bullied is a lot more serious. Leaking a private letter to the press is just appalling. Knauf job was to look after Thomas Markle and he failed badly. He left Markle's relatives to deal with the press when they should have been protected. Thomas Markle trusted Knauf who actually should have brought him over to England and housed him in one of the many houses that the Firm own, talking to the press unaccompanied.
    And in spite of these glaring inconsistencies, some may say outright lies - you think Jason is the one who should fall under suspicion. Inconsistencies, or maybe looking at things from a different perspective. But what Knauf did as a trusted employee of Markles was unforgivable. As well as that, why didn't the Firm do something about the bullying allegations made by Knauf (not the people who were bullied)? The Firm can't be on both sides of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What's keeping you here? Defending two celebrities?

I don't like bullying. Some of the posts on this thread have been borderline unhinged.

"bUt It's OkAy bEcAusE they'LL NeVer ReAd iT"

Advertisement