Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Genuine. Honestly telling their story and their lived experience. Speaking up and standing their ground and defending themselves and their children. Looking for change and healing. I saw strength and courage, and I wish them well in their new life.

Despite vaguely describing an unknown family member as being racist, complaining about being cut off financially. Plenty of strength and courage!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

JoChervil wrote: »
    As far as I can see, it is you, who is attacking people in this thread, while we all here are discussing Harry and Meghan and their interview. And any such response like juvenile was caused by your earlier personal attack.

Oh right, so you all can attack Harry and Meghan and say insane, horrible, mean and attacking things about them online, but when someone calls you out on it, out come the "poor me getting attacked online by irishblessing!!" tripe.

Can dish it out but can't take criticism yourselves? But Harry and Meghan are/were just supposed to take it and take it and take it some more and when they finally broke you're all still not satisfied and have to tear them down some more. You can't take being criticised on boards, so what are you doing on here criticising those two people who you don't even know and did nothing to you day in and day out? Hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

That is one definition you pulled from wikipedia. Welcome to the beautiful range of human experience and opinion. Millions knew exactly what she meant and think it's lovely. Then there's people who are determined to label her some kind of weirdo who intentionally lied to the camera knowing it would be broadcast around the globe. Hmm... which is the more likely scenario... she spoke about her and Harry's lovely vows they saw as their marriage as all of us did on our wedding day (vs the legality of signing a paper and registering it with a fee) or she's a liar who gets off on telling whoppers to the world. That's a hard one!! :rolleyes:

They made specific claims. I guess that you are the kind of person that is more interested in the perception rather than the facts. If I perceive the sky as green, don’t let the others tell me that it is blue. Post-fact era, sad.

Despite vaguely describing an unknown family member as being racist, complaining about being cut off financially. Plenty of strength and courage!!

Do you need a name, be right back? Would that finally satisfy you?

Yeah, his family cut him adrift with a short stop at a vulnerable time in his life. Why aren't you criticising them in their actions? What kind of family does this, and all the rest? An institution does, not a family. No wonder they left.

Yeah, his family cut him adrift with a short stop at a vulnerable time in his life. Why aren't you criticising them in their actions? What kind of family does this, and all the rest? An institution does, not a family. No wonder they left.

They wanted to leave. So why should they be supported financially if they are no longer working for the family business? Why tar the whole family as racist?? Why bring it up when it was so vague?

• Advertisement

BettyS wrote: »
    They made specific claims. I guess that you are the kind of person that is more interested in the perception rather than the facts. If I perceive the sky as green, don’t let the others tell me that it is blue. Post-fact era, sad.

No, I'm the kind of person who doesn't spend my days on a thread to tear people apart that I don't even know and have done nothing to me. Sad indeed.

What kind of family goes on International television to decimate their family and expose them to very grave criticisms?

What kind of family goes on International television to decimate their family and expose them to very grave criticisms?

Decimate... :pac: You always this dramatic, or just on Thursday nights? :pac: But Meghan and. Harry's mental health were decimated though, which is what actually matters here.

If they didn't like it, perhaps they shouldn't have treated people that way. Overlook the abuse and racism, to attack the people abused who finally spoke out against it... makes total sense. :rolleyes:

No, I'm the kind of person who doesn't spend my days on a thread to tear people apart that I don't even know and have done nothing to me. Sad indeed.

Tear people apart? I guess have an objective view is now considered tearing apart. Let us be stymied into an acceptable viewpoint. And who shall be the arbitrators of what is an acceptable viewpoint? Is it okay to rip apart Meghan’s family, as you have done on numerous occasions. I guess that there must be a hierarchy. We are all equal, but some are more equal than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Oh right, so you all can attack Harry and Meghan and say insane, horrible, mean and attacking things about them online, but when someone calls you out on it, out come the "poor me getting attacked online by irishblessing!!" tripe.

Can dish it out but can't take criticism yourselves? But Harry and Meghan are/were just supposed to take it and take it and take it some more and when they finally broke you're all still not satisfied and have to tear them down some more. You can't take being criticised on boards, so what are you doing on here criticising those two people who you don't even know and did nothing to you day in and day out? Hypocritical.

You don't know me. You only know my opinion about that interview. For example did I ever claimed how compassionate I am to keep me accountable for it?

I easily take critic, but I don't see sense to discuss it. Why should I waste my time to explain that I am not a camel? For me it is obvious.

• Advertisement

Tear people apart? I guess have an objective view is now considered tearing apart. Let us be stymied into an acceptable viewpoint. And who shall be the arbitrators of what is an acceptable viewpoint? Is it okay to rip apart Meghan’s family, as you have done on numerous occasions. I guess that there must be a hierarchy. We are all equal, but some are more equal than others.

Yes. I'll say it again slowly... Tear. People. Apart.

Don't embarrass yourself by pretending that's not what's happening here on this thread every single day.

No one would say that it's acceptable to say the rubbish here about H&M that some of you spend your days here doing, if say it was a school child talking this way about another school child, or perhaps about another work colleague, friend or family member. Some of you feel entitled because they are famous and they're an easy target and considered fair game.Bet none of you would post any of that up if you had to stand behind it with your real names. You'd be embarrassed and you know it.

Yes. I'll say it again slowly... Tear. People. Apart.

Don't embarrass yourself by pretending that's not what's happening here on this thread every single day.

No one would say that it's acceptable to say the rubbish here about H&M that some of you spend your days here doing, if say it was a school child talking this way about another school child, or perhaps about another work colleague, friend or family member. Some of you feel entitled because they are famous and they're an easy target and considered fair game.Bet none of you would post any of that up if you had to stand behind it with your real names. You'd be embarrassed and you know it.

Hilarious! This is your attempt at patronising us! You will have to try harder. Your emotions are clouding your ability to make a carefully reasoned and effectual argument

Decimate... :pac: You always this dramatic, or just on Thursday nights? :pac: But Meghan and. Harry's mental health were decimated though, which is what actually matters here.

If they didn't like it, perhaps they shouldn't have treated people that way. Overlook the abuse and racism, to attack the people abused who finally spoke out against it... makes total sense. :rolleyes:

If the royal family were racist towards Meghan and unsupportive of her mental health issues, why on earth would Harry and Meghan take financial assistance from them? Almost like blood money.

You know, I think having people of opposing views enriches the conversation and makes us see things from different perspectives. I think that it is healthy to have people representing both sides. But other people will only accept if we subscribe to the “correct” opinion

Accusing somebody of the heinous crime (yes, crime) that is frank racism and ignoring somebody’s suicidal ideation is pretty much decimate in my book. And then to leak that personal conversation via some Z-lister intermediary (Gayle) is pretty contemptible stuff.

Some now that you are calling them racist, what is the solid proof that the royal family were racist towards Meghan? Was it offering to walk her up the aisle? Was it the sharing a blanket? I am not discounting her experience. However, there should be evidence to back up an accusation of a criminal act

Heinous crime? Not enough outrage for one evening yet?

They made serious allegations, obviously not those you would do lightly or flippantly, much less lie about.

They spoke their truth and their experience. If they RF didn't want to be "decimated" to use your OTT word, then perhaps they should have thought about that first.

Why are you more concerned with people speaking up about their family institution issues which affected them badly (and throughout history they are by FAR not the only ones) than you are with the people and system who are treating people in this manner? Strange stuff.

I didn't call them racist, reign it in. I stated what Harry and Meghan allege. Don't be disingenuous just to try to have a point.

Do you know how abuse works? When people are abusive or toxic, often times they have done kind things too. Life isn't black and white and relationships are complicated. But you knew that, you just hold them to different standards because as I said they're easy targets for you.

If the royal family were racist towards Meghan and unsupportive of her mental health issues, why on earth would Harry and Meghan take financial assistance from them? Almost like blood money.

Because as international "persons of interest," a role in which Harry was born into and didn't ask for, and which saw them experience increased death threats and abuse... they wanted their family to be safe? Is there something wrong with wanting to be safe in the meantime?

Heinous crime? Not enough outrage for one evening yet?

They made serious allegations, obviously not those you would do lightly or flippantly, much less lie about.

They spoke their truth and their experience. If they RF didn't want to be "decimated" to use your OTT word, then perhaps they should have thought about that first.

Why are you more concerned with people speaking up about their family institution issues which affected them badly (and throughout history they are by FAR not the only ones) than you are with the people and system who are treating people in this manner? Strange stuff.

I didn't call them racist, reign it in. I stated what Harry and Meghan allege. Don't be disingenuous just to try to have a point.

Do you know how abuse works? When people are abusive or toxic, often times they have done kind things too. Life isn't black and white and relationships are complicated. But you knew that, you just hold them to different standards because as I said they're easy targets for you.

People lose their livelihoods, social standing and potentially can face criminal action for being accused of racism. Pretty significant consequences, no?

You cannot make a right with two wrongs.

I probably understand abuse a lot better than you do. They are not easy targets. I am left-leaning. I want to like them. But I cannot, I just cannot. I find them false and insincere. I feel like they use certain causes that are dear to my heart in order to further their agenda. I don’t like how every good deed that they do ends up on social media. Look, I wish them no harm. But I cannot cry with them. I just cannot.

Because as international "persons of interest," a role in which Harry was born into and didn't ask for, and which saw them experience increased death threats and abuse... they wanted their family to be safe? Is there something wrong with wanting to be safe in the meantime?

Then pay for your own security. They are both adults. Harry being extremely wealthy should protect his family and not be relying on his dad to fork out for it.

Because it is not like Harry managed to acquire unbelievable wealth, prestige, travel and a lucrative job on the basis of his royalty. Yes, life is hard for everybody. But they are not only victims. They have been fortunate in many ways. Resilience is realising not just want we don’t have, but what we do have and focusing on this

Then pay for your own security. They are both adults. Harry being extremely wealthy should protect his family and not be relying on his dad to fork out for it.

Obviously, their intention was to be financially independent. They had already said that. But they were in a precarious situation having just left and not settled yet, dealing with a sudden pandemic and at the same time a tabloid blasting their location to the world at a time his family pulled security and support.

Why on earth aren't you calling out his family for that? Isn't the main thing that they remain safe? As one of the wealthiest families in the world they could afford to do so. Their actions are not what any loving parent or family would do. It's insane what they did to Harry, Meghan and their own grandson. Disgraceful and shameful. I would never do that to my children. No matter what conflict we were having, I wouldn't put my own child in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Almost reparations ;)
    For Harry, even though he has worked, he has undertaken military service.
    Until he left the RF, he has never really had to grapple with the real world and financial control.
    Learning the cost of independence with security?
    Well even with his personal inheritance, that would be quite an immediate and large dent in the cash pile.

24/7 security is a costly exercise. Factor in a 2 person team at all public outings, aswell as 24/7 security at the house and needing to find someway to access a security briefing after burning the bridges?

Easily a $1 million plus per year cost and that is at a very conservative costing that would use agency staff rather than employed bodyguards.

The revocation of Royal Security and Charles deciding to not foot the bill seems to have been fuel to the final split.

Obviously, their intention was to be financially independent. They had already said that. But they were in a precarious situation having just left and not settled yet, dealing with a sudden pandemic and at the same time a tabloid blasting their location to the world at a time his family pulled security and support.

Why on earth aren't you calling out his family for that? Isn't the main thing that they remain safe? As one of the wealthiest families in the world they could afford to do so. Their actions are not what any loving parent or family would do. It's insane what they did to Harry, Meghan and their own grandson. Disgraceful and shameful. I would never do that to my children. No matter what conflict we were having, I wouldn't put my own child in danger.

Do you have written evidence to prove the lack of support? And have you heard both sides? Or is only one side valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

And why would they want to be “part time Royals” in a racist and uncaring institution? which is what they wanted to be until they were told to shlt or get off the pot

People lose their livelihoods, social standing and potentially can face criminal action for being accused of racism. Pretty significant consequences, no?

You cannot make a right with two wrongs.

I probably understand abuse a lot better than you do. They are not easy targets. I am left-leaning. I want to like them. But I cannot, I just cannot. I find them false and insincere. I feel like they use certain causes that are dear to my heart in order to further their agenda. I don’t like how every good deed that they do ends up on social media. Look, I wish them no harm. But I cannot cry with them. I just cannot.

Yeah, so perhaps they should have thought about that before being racist? (as alleged). The RF now stand on the built fortune of centuries of racist and cruel and brutal actions all around the globe. It's time they reckoned with that because it certainly doesn't seem like lessons were learned.

I'm a stranger on the internet. You don't know me or my life. So to claim you know more about abuse to feel some sort of entitlement or claim on knowing best about it is just bizarre. In light of that I'm done with this conversation with you.
    Because it is not like Harry managed to acquire unbelievable wealth, prestige, travel and a lucrative job on the basis of his royalty. Yes, life is hard for everybody. But they are not only victims. They have been fortunate in many ways. Resilience is realising not just want we don’t have, but what we do have and focusing on this

Yeah... NOW. Not when they first left. It takes time to figure things out like security detail - no money in the world can just enable you to snap your fingers and have it all in place. They had the rug pulled out and it left them in danger and I think it's unforgivable and disgraceful. You're just gaslighting now by saying "everyone finds life hard." So what. They do too for their own reasons and they're doing what's right for them while some of you pick them apart and show them no compassion when if the shoe were on the other foot you'd crumble like a sandcastle in the surf. They're the ones who have actually modelled resilience. Please. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

But they put their own child in danger. They left much more secure country with the best security for them, which they could get. Many parents would do much more for their kid than accept that Kate and William will always be in a higher position in hierarchy of RF then them.

With rights come responsibilities. Neither Harry nor Meghan seemed to want to accept this argument

Again Harry was left millions from his mother's will. Pay for his own family's security out of that. Wouldn't you say that leaving the security of the Royal palaces and going to live in the States with a high percentage of gun crime isn't the best idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And why would they want to be “part time Royals” in a racist and uncaring institution? which is what they wanted to be until they were told to shlt or get off the pot

Or expect funding for security? They knew they were high profile before they left, and Harry at least had to be aware that the RF are subject to public scrutiny and their spending is accountable. Try getting taxpayers to fund security for anyone who walks away and see how they react.

Yeah, so perhaps they should have thought about that before being racist? (as alleged). The RF now stand on the built fortune of centuries of racist and cruel and brutal actions all around the globe. It's time they reckoned with that because it certainly doesn't seem like lessons were learned.

I'm a stranger on the internet. You don't know me or my life. So to claim you know more about abuse to feel some sort of entitlement or claim on knowing best about it is just bizarre. In light of that I'm done with this conversation with you.

Yeah... NOW. Not when they first left. It takes time to figure things out like security detail - no money in the world can just enable you to snap your fingers and have it all in place. They had the rug pulled out and it left them in danger and I think it's unforgivable and disgraceful. You're just gaslighting now by saying "everyone finds life hard." So what. They do too for their own reasons and they're doing what's right for them while some of you pick them apart and show them no compassion when if the shoe were on the other foot you'd crumble like a sandcastle in the surf. They're the ones who have actually modelled resilience. Please. Goodnight.

Then they shouldn't have left until their security was fully in place...

• Advertisement

Why don't you ask them? Maybe he loves his family despite their problems? Maybe he has a sense of duty and wanted to honour his grandmother? Maybe they both recognised and appreciated the privilege and platform and wanted to do good with it? Because the work is centred around the people of Harry's birth country and it's important to him? Because they hoped it might eventually get better until it didn't? I don't know! You could probably write to them and ask. :pac:

Advertisement