Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Then they shouldn't have left until their security was fully in place...

Who would expect that to happen if you're in his shoes? His family shouldn't have pulled security until they had their own in place. Which endangered their own son, grandson, and heirs. That's not loving or normal. No normal parent would ever do that to their own child/grandchild.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why don't you ask them? Maybe he loves his family despite their problems? Maybe he has a sense of duty and wanted to honour his grandmother? Maybe they both recognised and appreciated the privilege and platform and wanted to do good with it? Because the work is centred around the people of Harry's birth country and it's important to him? Because they hoped it might eventually get better until it didn't? I don't know! You could probably write to them and ask. :pac:

Any luck finding those racist headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Yeah, so perhaps they should have thought about that before being racist? (as alleged). The RF now stand on the built fortune of centuries of racist and cruel and brutal actions all around the globe. It's time they reckoned with that because it certainly doesn't seem like lessons were learned.

I'm a stranger on the internet. You don't know me or my life. So to claim you know more about abuse to feel some sort of entitlement or claim on knowing best about it is just bizarre. In light of that I'm done with this conversation with you.

Yeah... NOW. Not when they first left. It takes time to figure things out like security detail - no money in the world can just enable you to snap your fingers and have it all in place. They had the rug pulled out and it left them in danger and I think it's unforgivable and disgraceful. You're just gaslighting now by saying "everyone finds life hard." So what. They do too for their own reasons and they're doing what's right for them while some of you pick them apart and show them no compassion when if the shoe were on the other foot you'd crumble like a sandcastle in the surf. They're the ones who have actually modelled resilience. Please. Goodnight.

My point is what if the current generation wasn’t racist? Your argument, though you try to argue otherwise is based on the supposition that they are argument.

To use your own argument, who are you to define what I have come through. Have you not thought that maybe Meghan and Harry would crumble like sand if they had to come through the lives of certain posters on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Why don't you ask them? Maybe he loves his family despite their problems? Maybe he has a sense of duty and wanted to honour his grandmother? Maybe they both recognised and appreciated the privilege and platform and wanted to do good with it? Because the work is centred around the people of Harry's birth country and it's important to him? Because they hoped it might eventually get better until it didn't? I don't know! You could probably write to them and ask. :pac:

A sense of duty that led him to Netflix, a company that has regularly funded shows that propagate rumours about his family

Or expect funding for security? They knew they were high profile before they left, and Harry at least had to be aware that the RF are subject to public scrutiny and their spending is accountable. Try getting taxpayers to fund security for anyone who walks away and see how they react.

His family are independently wealthy for one and could easily afford to reimburse the 'taxpayer.' Secondly if they were going to pull it, they could have gave warning first and worked out the details. Safety and life comes first. You can't get undead if the worst happened.

• Advertisement

BettyS wrote: »
    A sense of duty that led him to Netflix, a company that has regularly funded shows that propagate rumours about his family

Yep! Strange how that eventually happened once his family turned their back on him and allegedly was racist towards his own future child! So weird they would then take private pursuits to support themselves and pay for security in order to live and stay alive... god this thread is so bizarre. Honestly, it's like they're not even allowed to be human or have human emotions.

And like the RF didn't propagate and perpetuate rumours about Meghan and Harry? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Yeah... NOW. Not when they first left. It takes time to figure things out like security detail - no money in the world can just enable you to snap your fingers and have it all in place. They had the rug pulled out and it left them in danger and I think it's unforgivable and disgraceful. You're just gaslighting now by saying "everyone finds life hard." So what. They do too for their own reasons and they're doing what's right for them while some of you pick them apart and show them no compassion when if the shoe were on the other foot you'd crumble like a sandcastle in the surf. They're the ones who have actually modelled resilience. Please. Goodnight.

Yeah, they left at the beginning of January, security ended with the end of March. And at the end of March they got money form Charles' estate. So hardly they had to organise their life in a "snap your fingers speed". And they had money for it.

No money in March 2021 and we have a bitchy interview.

They did not have the rug pulled out. They left of their own accord. It was up to them to have all their ducks in a row before leaving and knowing in no uncertain terms what that would mean for their financial security and their personal security. They’re both almost 40. Stop treating them like two star crossed lover teens wet behind the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Who would expect that to happen if you're in his shoes? His family shouldn't have pulled security until they had their own in place. Which endangered their own son, grandson, and heirs. That's not loving or normal. No normal parent would ever do that to their own child/grandchild.

Or a son criticising his own family, telling millions of people that my dad cut me off financially. That's not normal but smacks of entitlement.

JoChervil wrote: »
    Yeah, they left at the beginning of January, security ended with the end of March. And at the end of March they got money form Charles' estate. So hardly they had to organise their life in a "snap your fingers speed". And they had money for it.

No money in March 2021 and we have a bitchy interview.

Harry said it was sudden. It doesn't matter when he left, he didn't expect it to be pulled and it happened suddenly, that's what matters here.

Who says he got money from Charles' estate? The tabloids? Or are you their accountant?

• Advertisement

Or a son criticising his own family, telling millions of people that my dad cut me off financially. That's not normal but smacks of entitlement.

Perhaps his dad shouldn't have done what he did, which isn't normal behaviour. If my family cut me off while I had death threats on me and my family and a tabloid had just exposed my location to the world, I'd probably light them up to. And that's not even considering all the rest of it. His child, his family were in danger. Why are we having this conversation? Obviously what happened to them isn't normal loving behaviour.

Harry said it was sudden. It doesn't matter when he left, he didn't expect it to be pulled and it happened suddenly, that's what matters here.

Who says he got money from Charles' estate? The tabloids? Or are you their accountant?

Harry said, so it is a gospel...

They did not have the rug pulled out. They left of their own accord. It was up to them to have all their ducks in a row before leaving and knowing in no uncertain terms what that would mean for their financial security and their personal security. They’re both almost 40. Stop treating them like two star crossed lover teens wet behind the ears

They left, but the security and funding were pulled suddenly. So yes, the rug was pulled. Harry obviously didn't expect it, age has absolutely nothing to do with it. And anyway, now they're almost 40 and earning their own money yet being criticised for that too like 2 minutes ago. They can't win and this whole thread is just ridiculous and petty.
    Normal loving fathers wouldn't pull security that when doing so means his son's life and his grandson's life would be in serious mortal danger. They're among the wealthiest people in the world they could have at least ensured their safety for an agreed period. I feel like you're all ignoring that. They didn't seem to care if anything happened to them. That isn't normal.

Harry said, so it is a gospel...

As opposed to the tabloids being your gospel, and you believe it? Strange.

The best and only reliable source for the truth here is straight from the people who are living it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They left, but the security and funding were pulled suddenly. So yes, the rug was pulled. Harry obviously didn't expect it, age has absolutely nothing to do with it. And anyway, now they're almost 40 and earning their own money yet being criticised for that too like 2 minutes ago. They can't win and this whole thread is just ridiculous and petty.
    Normal loving fathers wouldn't pull security that when doing so means his son's life and his grandson's life would be in serious mortal danger. They're among the wealthiest people in the world they could have at least ensured their safety for an agreed period. I feel like you're all ignoring that. They didn't seem to care if anything happened to them. That isn't normal.

They are only wealthy because the United Kingdom tax payers fund their wealth.
    Imagine how James in Middlesborough would feel that part of his gross pay was going towards security guards for two ex-pats living it up in a secluded mansion in Canada?

To thine own self be true

They are only wealthy because the United Kingdom tax payers fund their wealth.
    Imagine how James in Middlesborough would feel that part of his gross pay was going towards security guards for two ex-pats living it up in a secluded mansion in Canada?

Ha, no. They are independently wealthy. Does it really matter? They are wealthy. They could have ensured they were safe. They chose not to. And that is completely insane no matter which way you try to toss it.
    I don't imagine James in Middlesborough was born into a title and family that would mean he has to have security for the rest of his life.

Also the royal family, including the royal wedding(s) have brought estimated billions of revenue to the UK. Let's call that one even.

As opposed to the tabloids being your gospel, and you believe it? Strange.

The best and only reliable source for the truth here is straight from the people who are living it.

Facts (not from tabloids): they left at the beginning of January, security finished at the end of March and it was decided by Canadian government (links you can find earlier in the thread), so they had 10-11 weeks to prepare security.

Harry said...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes. I'll say it again slowly... Tear. People. Apart.

Don't embarrass yourself by pretending that's not what's happening here on this thread every single day.

No one would say that it's acceptable to say the rubbish here about H&M that some of you spend your days here doing, if say it was a school child talking this way about another school child, or perhaps about another work colleague, friend or family member. Some of you feel entitled because they are famous and they're an easy target and considered fair game.Bet none of you would post any of that up if you had to stand behind it with your real names. You'd be embarrassed and you know it.

What are you on about? In case you didn't notice, this is an internet discussion board, where people in the public eye are discussed on many threads. "Tearing them down" = critically discussing some of the claims made in their interview that was broadcast to millions of people worldwide? No one hates them, no one is posting vitriol or hateful things. It's a discussion. Get a grip, you seem a bit overinvested.

If “they’re among the wealthiest people in the world” then surely that includes Harry too? So why couldn’t he support his own family himself? You do realise that they specifically outlined to The Queen that they do not wish to be reliant on public funds in their new lives, right? Charles was reported to be supporting them privately also. They want it every which way, independence but please keep wiping our bottoms daddy.
    Charles didn’t pull security because Charles doesn’t have the authority to pull security, you really don’t even know what you’re talking about at this point and you’re just buying their spin.

Anyway, those headlines would be good, whenever you’re ready there.

Facts (not from tabloids): they left at the beginning of January, security finished at the end of March and it was decided by Canadian government (links you can find earlier in the thread), so they had 10-11 weeks to prepare security.

Harry said...

Facts- Harry said his security and funding was pulled suddenly, so months of the year relating to when they left and when security was unexpectedly pulled doesn't matter one bit. The key word from Harry being "suddenly," right?

By the way love how you tried to phrase it the way you did by saying "security finished" as if the absolute rug wasn't pulled out. :pac: So Harry lied about that then, did he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

Why is everyone forgetting the royal family are guarded by the police, and it was the canadian police who said they weren't going keep up the security? It wasn't the queen's decision. If you choose to move from your country then you can't expect another country to foot the bill for your security. It genuinely baffles me that Harry seems so clueless about how these things work. He really comes across as dim.

Facts- Harry said his security and funding was pulled suddenly, so months of the year relating to when they left and when security was unexpectedly pulled doesn't matter one bit. The key word from Harry being "suddenly," right?

By the way love how you tried to phrase it the way you did by saying "security finished" as if the absolute rug wasn't pulled out. :pac: So Harry lied about that then, did he?

Did he say who pulled their security? Why are you assuming it was Charles? Do you know how these things tend to work?

If “they’re among the wealthiest people in the world” then surely that includes Harry too? So why couldn’t he support his own family himself? You do realise that they specifically outlined to The Queen that they do not wish to be reliant on public funds in their new lives, right? Charles was reported to be supporting them privately also. They want it every which way, independence but please keep wiping our bottoms daddy.
    Charles didn’t pull security because Charles doesn’t have the authority to pull security, you really don’t even know what you’re talking about at this point and you’re just buying their spin.

Anyway, those headlines would be good, whenever you’re ready there.

Harry and Meghan no doubt had some money, but it sounds like security is an absolute monstrous expense and to be hit with that suddenly was obviously a whammy to them.

Money aside, you all seem to want to gloss over the fact that they can't just rub a magic lamp and conjure up a full security team just like that. It would obviously take time. The most logical course of action SURELY would to have been to independently cover the costs of security the already there.

Wipe bottoms.. real mature. :pac: How do you know what authority Charles has or doesn't? Harry would know and you don't, and he seems pretty pissed off about the whole thing.

Did he say who pulled their security? Why are you assuming it was Charles? Do you know how these things tend to work?

He said his father cut him off and stopped taking his calls to boot.

Do you?

It was announced to them in the middle of February by Canadian officials (link earlier in the thread), so 6 weeks is hardly suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ha, no. They are independently wealthy. Does it really matter? They are wealthy. They could have ensured they were safe. They chose not to. And that is completely insane no matter which way you try to toss it.
    I don't imagine James in Middlesborough was born into a title and family that would mean he has to have security for the rest of his life.

Also the royal family, including the royal wedding(s) have brought estimated billions of revenue to the UK. Let's call that one even.

If they're independently wealthy they should pay their way.

Why is everyone forgetting the royal family are guarded by the police, and it was the canadian police who said they weren't going keep up the security? It wasn't the queen's decision. If you choose to move from your country then you can't expect another country to foot the bill for your security. It genuinely baffles me that Harry seems so clueless about how these things work. He really comes across as dim.

The same Canada who is part of the Commonwealth? :pac:

He can expect his (extremely) wealthy family to help him pay until he gets on his feet. It was their decision to cut him off financially and suddenly as Harry says.
    If Harry was a boards poster he could report you for those personal attacks. :pac:

If they're independently wealthy they should pay their way.

Obviously not yet that independently wealthy. Obviously if they were, it wouldn't have mattered. :rolleyes: Harry said specifically they did the Netflix/Spotify deals to pay for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The same Canada who is part of the Commonwealth? :pac:

He can expect his (extremely) wealthy family to help him pay until he gets on his feet. It was their decision to cut him off financially and suddenly as Harry says.
    If Harry was a boards poster he could report you for those personal attacks. :pac:

So, do you think the UK Metropolitan Police can order the Canadian police to protect 2 ex senior members of the RF because they're part of the commonwealth and the queen is their head of state?

They don't have that power in the UK, it's a constitutional monarchy and the queen doesn't order the government or the police. She basically does what she's told.

• Advertisement

Harry and Meghan no doubt had some money, but it sounds like security is an absolute monstrous expense and to be hit with that suddenly was obviously a whammy to them.

Money aside, you all seem to want to gloss over the fact that they can't just rub a magic lamp and conjure up a full security team just like that. It would obviously take time. The most logical course of action SURELY would to have been to independently cover the costs of security the already there.

Wipe bottoms.. real mature. :pac: How do you know what authority Charles has or doesn't? Harry would know and you don't, and he seems pretty pissed off about the whole thing.

Right.. the more you post the more I realise how pointless this is becoming. Charles didn’t pull the security, neither did The Queen or anyone else in the monarchy. The don’t have the authority to do that. Their protection is provided by Scotland Yard. Do you honestly think Charles was on the phone to the police in SY like some kind of Bond villain stroking a cat urging them to pull the plug on his son’s security?
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/09/ever-present-threat-why-stepping-back-has-not-make-sussexes-safer

Advertisement