Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I thought it had a bit of sarcasm especially the bit about service after their statement when they confirmed they were stepping down permanently

"We can all live a life of service, Service is universal "

That's what came to mind for me too. Would they be so low as to get a dig in like that? Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/latest-president-bush-praises-prince-philips-devotion-76969923

here are the responses of the world leaders.

English media are more dignified than those 2 out in California or Vancouver island (or wherever they are). more money from netflix though? get those cameras to the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Looks like Harry won't be able to attend. Funeral is set for Saturday but he would need to quarantine for 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Saw this tribute Meghan made to Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
    Big difference between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Shelga wrote: »
    Am I the only one still somewhat on the fence about Meghan and Harry? I've said before on this thread that I think the fact that they were whingeing about being victimised when they live in a $17m mansion was pretty crass and tone-deaf, and I still think that.

But I just don't think she's this calculating narcissist who cackles evilly to herself every day at having stolen Harry away to America and its multi-million dollar media deals?

I think they're both spoiled, and naive, and I think she could have shown a bit more grace when asked had she any regrets. I think Harry has clearly gone to tonnes of therapy over the years, which is good, but I think that sometimes it can also make you think you're the centre of the universe, which isn't great.

The whole institution of the royal family is still steeped in oppression and snobbery though? And the British media were and are horrible? And Piers Morgan is a repulsive, obsessed creep who makes money from what is a quite disturbing dedication to trashing Meghan?

Anyone else still seeing both sides of this, or am I the only one who doesn't think she's a horrible person?

I just don't think the amount of sheer hatred emanating from Britain towards them these days is proportionate. I've definitely gone off them since the interview, but at the end of the day, they haven't killed anyone- regardless of what Piers says in his inevitable bile-filled column about how Meghan caused the death of Prince Philip. :rolleyes:

Oh I completely agree. I think we're clearly at the "b*tch eating crackers" stage when it comes to Meghan and Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That Anne and Edward have had pre-recorded interviews regarding Philip's legacy ready to go, gives lie to the callous nature of the timing of H&M's interview and the airing of it.

Absolutely self serving and should help scales fall from some folks eyes regarding their actual motivations.
    Harry choosing to stay stateside whilst the rest of the family were not only dealing with the knowledge that death was imminent but actively preparing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

Did someone mention that he will be buried on Saturday? Not tomorrow I hope?

With regards to the UK even saturday week would be very quickly.

I'm sorry that the poor old divil has gone, its difficult for all concerned, wife, family friends etc. BUT you couldn't have chosen a WORSE time to put your grievances to a global audience.

Harry I am sure is seething that he has been lead down this path. Whatever about being your own person, letting your family down at a time when one of the leaders of that family dies is not something to be happy or proud about. Airing differences and "washing dirty linen" in public is something that should really have been done in private with your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

NSAman wrote: »
    Did someone mention that he will be buried on Saturday? Not tomorrow I hope?

With regards to the UK even saturday week would be very quickly.

I'm sorry that the poor old divil has gone, its difficult for all concerned, wife, family friends etc. BUT you couldn't have chosen a WORSE time to put your grievances to a global audience.

Harry I am sure is seething that he has been lead down this path. Whatever about being your own person, letting your family down at a time when one of the leaders of that family dies is not something to be happy or proud about. Airing differences and "washing dirty linen" in public is something that should really have been done in private with your family.

Next Saturday I think it's because of covid they are bringing it forward

William and Catherine have just retweeted the Queen's message, shared an online condolences page and have a picture of Prince Phillip on their twitter page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

banie01 wrote: »
    That Anne and Edward have had pre-recorded interviews regarding Philip's legacy ready to go, gives lie to the callous nature of the timing of H&M's interview and the airing of it.

Absolutely self serving and should help scales fall from some folks eyes regarding their actual motivations.
    Harry choosing to stay stateside whilst the rest of the family were not only dealing with the knowledge that death was imminent but actively preparing for it.

I saw the end of that programme and wondered had they been interviewed today. I can't imagine being interviewed as if a parent was dead while they were terminally ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Posted this two weeks ago, didn't think it'd be so soon
    Not to sound morbid, but the next time they get together it'll probably be for a family funeral
    Looks like Harry won't be able to attend. Funeral is set for Saturday but he would need to quarantine for 10 days.

I'm sure he'll get special dispensation, or diplomatic immunity, or a zorb ball or something

Posted this two weeks ago, didn't think it'd be so soon

I'm sure he'll get special dispensation, or diplomatic immunity, or a zorb ball or something

Or the cold shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He’ll get an diplomatic exemption provided he tests neg before he leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

And I have to say, it's striking how all of the people saying "Harry and Meghan made the last few weeks of his life insanely stressful, they should never show their faces in Britain again, how dare they!" and wringing their hands, never mentioned the stress caused to Philip by Andrew's interview in November 2019, when he was 98? :rolleyes:

And have others have said, but not enough: I just don't see any world in which H&M have done anything remotely as bad as that alleged against Andrew- coercing an underage trafficked girl into sex with him, when he was 41 and she was 17. (Which I personally well believe, and would be fairly sure there were many similar incidents). The confirmed fact of him staying with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein when in New York is disgusting enough.

Is it possible Philip just wasn't that affected by either event? He has seen a lot in his life- maybe he just didn't really care about family scandals anymore??

I do get why H&M rub people up the wrong way. Some of the discussion is interesting, as it brings up a lot of perennial topics like family estrangement, inter-racial relationships, the relevance of the monarchy, privilege, UK/USA clash of values, racism, etc. But the endless vitriol heaped on them week after week by people from all corners (which I agree, they have somewhat brought upon themselves, they could have just not done the interview) just has me a bit like- can people not get a life?

Andrew was vilified earlier in the thread, and in the thread in AH at the time of the interview so it's not true to pretend anyone supports Andrew.

I said his interview is the one that should have brought down the monarchy and I can't understand how it was all left to quietly fade away.

But this thread is about the Harry and Meghan interview, the clue is in the thread title.

ETA: Hard to "get a life" in restrictions imposed as a result of a global pandemic.

Andrew was vilified earlier in the thread, and in the thread in AH at the time of the interview so it's not true to pretend anyone supports Andrew.

I said his interview is the one that should have brought down the monarchy and I can't understand how it was all left to quietly fade away.

But this thread is about the Harry and Meghan interview, the clue is in the thread title.

ETA: Hard to "get a life" in restrictions imposed as a result of a global pandemic.

I didn't say anyone supports him, I said there hasn't been as much hatred directed at him as there is at Harry and Meghan. To my knowledge, Andrew is still not co-operating with the FBI about the Epstein investigation.

I know the thread is about Harry and Meghan, but I find it interesting to compare their treatment with the other most controversial member of the RF.

I didn't say anyone supports him, I said there hasn't been as much hatred directed at him as there is at Harry and Meghan. To my knowledge, Andrew is still not co-operating with the FBI about the Epstein investigation.

I know the thread is about Harry and Meghan, but I find it interesting to compare their treatment with the other most controversial member of the RF.

Look at the thread at the time of Andrew’s interview, you'll find a lot more vitriol there.

Without going off topic, it’s because everyone agreed! For a story to get traction it needs debate, if everyone agrees there is no debate so it will fall off the front pages fairly quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This thread is about Harry and Meghan which is why people are talking about Harry and Meghan. Andrew’s interview was a disaster and the situation around him would obviously have caused upset and stress but he didn’t partake in that interview while The Duke was in dying in hospital and unlikely to recover. Harry and Megan did. That is why people are discussing them and that is the difference.

• Advertisement

Look at the thread at the time of Andrew’s interview, you'll find a lot more vitriol there.

Yes, I see that thread generated 357 replies at the time of the interview. This one is at 4700 replies and counting.

Why do you think that is? Genuine question.

Without going off topic, it’s because everyone agreed! For a story to get traction it needs debate, if everyone agrees there is no debate so it will fall off the front pages fairly quick!

He was a laughing stock! Not able to sweat, pizza hut, his indignation and the fact that he thought it went well. Completely oblivious and convinced of his own importance.

Yes, I see that thread generated 357 replies at the time of the interview. This one is at 4700 replies and counting.

See my previous post, H&M generated debate. Everyone agrees that Andrews interview was a car crash so it didn’t really generate any discussion!

Captain_Crash answered that above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

banie01 wrote: »

I think it’s possible one of the pair fast-tracked the interview so it would go out before Philip died. If he died there’s no way they could do a revenge interview settling old scores for at least a year or more. They are pushing their profile forward at full steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Probably because he did that interview, realised it went titties up and there hasn’t been much out of him since. There’s nothing new to report really. The situation hasn’t changed with him since 2019 and everyone is still waiting for the day he is either charged or something more comes of it all. He seems to be just fading into the background hoping it all just goes away.

Whereas H&M have a constant drip of PR released to the media almost daily. They have their mouthpieces constantly in the media, and there is an endless stream of articles about their new ventures as well as new articles constantly popping up which debunk the fantasy waffle they came out with on Oprah. They very much want to be talked about, ergo they are.

If Andrew had people constantly defending his honour on tv and releasing endless positive PR about himself then people would be still talking about him too. As well as that, the criticism around Andrew was universal. Everyone (mostly) agreed he was a bumbling lying idiot. The division in opinion with Harry and Meghan is what keeps the debate going.

He was a laughing stock! Not able to sweat, pizza hut, his indignation and the fact that he thought it went well. Completely oblivious and convinced of his own importance.

Exactly!
    “Did you see Andrew! Total sleeze”
    “Yeah Sir Sleezeball General”
    “Yeah totally”
    “So wanna get tacos??”

Zero debate on it means it won’t hold attention for very long!

I've a feeling this is heading towards another accusation of misogyny.

I'm a woman, as are many of the naysayers here.

See my previous post, H&M generated debate. Everyone agrees that Andrews interview was a car crash so it didn’t really generate any discussion!

Car crash interviews don't generate any discussion? Haven't heard that before. I think people just don't care enough or have long enough attention spans to force any accountability from the man. Certainly not the British media.

Agree H&M court the media more, but then again, they're not alleged sex offenders so why should they hide away?

I dunno, I just like a bit more nuance to the debate. Thousands of replies which are all some version of "she's a narcissist and a sociopath" are not that interesting. Yes yes I know, I'm free to not comment, but I'm just trying to generate some discussion myself!

• Advertisement

Car crash interviews don't generate any discussion? Haven't heard that before. I think people just don't care enough or have long enough attention spans to force any accountability from the man. Certainly not the British media.

Agree H&M court the media more, but then again, they're not alleged sex offenders so why should they hide away?

I dunno, I just like a bit more nuance to the debate. Thousands of replies which are all some version of "she's a narcissist and a sociopath" are not that interesting. Yes yes I know, I'm free to not comment, but I'm just trying to generate some discussion myself!
    Everyone agreeing isn't the basis for an engaging debate. What did you want - thousands of posts with "I agree"? That won't hold people's attention.

Advertisement