Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    We don’t know because there two versions of it. It either was once prior to the marriage where according to Prince Harry it was mentioned once, and Meghan where she said Harry conveyed the conversation to her and it happened serveral times while she was pregnant. The stories don’t line up because either Harry is downplaying when and how often it was allegedly said or Meghan miss understood what and when Harry told her. And personally I think an allegation of this seriousness needs to have the facts and claiming racism when the two people telling it aren’t telling the same story is bizarre.

I don't think a person of colour would misunderstand racist questions about colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

jm08 wrote: »
    You are waffling now. There was nothing vague about the accusation that there were questions about what colour the baby would be.

And no way is wondering what colour the baby will be is the same as wondering about the colour of their hair?

I'm not waffling, nor have I posted inaccurate information.

You can wonder about the colour of skin a child of a white and mixed race person could have without it being racist.

Anything related to race is not automatically racist, it's only negative when discriminatory prejudices are ascribed to that particular race.

You are waffling now. There was nothing vague about the accusation that there were questions about what colour the baby would be.

And no way is wondering what colour the baby will be is the same as wondering about the colour of their hair?

There was no facts whatsoever about this conversation. Megan claimed it took place when she was pregnant but did not give details.
    Harry then said it took place before she was pregnant but refused to talk about it anymore.
    So, no details there.
    And yes actually, it's quite normal to talk about the skin colour of the baby if the parents are different skin colours themselves.
    One of my cousins has mixed race kids, as does one of my friends. No one was ever accused of racism for speaking to them about which parent would the child most likely look like. Seems perfectly normal to me.

I don't think a person of colour would misunderstand racist questions about colour.

But according to Harry she wasn't there.

White people can understand racist questions about colour too, but we need to actually hear the question. Not two conflicting versions of a conversation that apparently occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well there was some miscommunication at some point otherwise their stories would be interlocked and be the same and they aren’t. Meghan didn’t hear the questions first hand though so maybe Harry didn’t recount the incident correctly. We don’t know a lot about the alleged incident and Harry and Meghan should have been pushed to be more forthcoming as to specific details.

I assume you wouldn’t take kindly to be called a racist based on conflicting and vague statements ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But according to Harry she wasn't there.

White people can understand racist questions about colour too, but we need to actually hear the question. Not two conflicting versions of a conversation that apparently occurred.

We need to hear the question , the tone of the voice and the context in which it was asked . So much can be lost in translation

Meghan: There were a lot of conversations about what skin tone the baby might have when I was pregnant.

*Oprah's shocked face*

Harry: Yes, I was asked what colour skin any future babies might have before we got married.

Hmmmmmmm

I'm also pretty sure this was supposed to have happened before any of his family met Meghan.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We need to hear the question , the tone of the voice and the context in which it was asked . So much can be lost in translation

Yes, I said that a few posts ago.

What was actually said, the context in which it was said and who said it.

Branding an unidentified person a racist with such vague detail is despicable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Do you not agree that there was two different versions of this story? I think for any conversation to be able to move forward it’s important for everyone to at least acknowledge that Harry and Meghan’s versions were not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Did someone question what colour the baby would be or did they not?

Is any mention of colour racist in your view?

• Advertisement

Is any mention of colour racist in your view?

That's the crux of the problem.

Insult one black person = racist!
    Insult one man =misandrist!
    Insult one woman = misogynist!

However, fail to see context = idiot in my mind.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There was no facts whatsoever about this conversation. Megan claimed it took place when she was pregnant but did not give details.
    Harry then said it took place before she was pregnant but refused to talk about it anymore.
    So, no details there.
    And yes actually, it's quite normal to talk about the skin colour of the baby if the parents are different skin colours themselves.
    One of my cousins has mixed race kids, as does one of my friends. No one was ever accused of racism for speaking to them about which parent would the child most likely look like. Seems perfectly normal to me.

I’ve a friend who is married to a black man and all throughout their pregnancy they speculated on how light or dark the baby might be. When the baby was eventually born the father joked that it was too light skinned and needed to add more chocolate to the mix next time. Sometimes people say harmless things, sometimes they put their foot in it and say things that can be taken up the wrong way. We will never know what was said to Harry about future children but it could have been a harmless remark that would pass by most people but weaponised by an opportunist looking to be offended.

I don’t believe that there were “concerns” about how dark the baby might be. I mean looking at Meghan it’s biologically impossible that the baby would be dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did someone question what colour the baby would be or did they not?

Nobody knows...

That is my whole point..

The two of them engineered some bull**** contrived nonsense, that didn’t even check out for their versions...

That story, like the crying deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I had to laugh when a UK pundit* said this morning that Donald Trump and even Putin gave a warmer tribute to Prince Phillp than Megan and Harry!

"Thank you for your service - you'll be greatly missed"

*edit: Margaret Holder, Royal Commentator.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I had to laugh when a UK pundit said this morning that Donald Trump and even Putin gave a warmer tribute to Prince Phillp than Megan and Harry!

They're probably still sulking and looking for a few more toys to throw out of the pram.

Apparently Harry is coming back for the funeral, but Meghan may not be able to make it because of her pregnancy.

Hands up, who's going to watch the funeral to see any evidence of Harry being snubbed?

o/ :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They're probably still sulking and looking for a few more toys to throw out of the pram.

Apparently Harry is coming back for the funeral, but Meghan may not be able to make it because of her pregnancy.

Hands up, who's going to watch the funeral to see any evidence of Harry being snubbed?

Is the funeral on the box ? I got the impression it was going to be a low key private affair(as low key as it can be given in what family it is). Every body language expert in the UK will be employed to make a judgement on what is and isn’t happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wonder what they'll call the baby when it's born? Will they go with a traditional English name, or a more American sounding one? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You can offend some people with anything you say, if they are offend-prone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Is the funeral on the box ? I got the impression it was going to be a low key private affair(as low key as it can be given in what family it is). Every body language expert in the UK will be employed to make a judgement on what is and isn’t happening.

From what I read Prince Phillip had requested a low key funeral so with that and Covid I don't think there will be much to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Context is important. I mean if we look at bare facts, the rappers that use derogatory terms to reference themselves and their peers should be cancelled. Racism is never okay. Racism is a criminal offence. Therefore, an accusation needs to be assessed in the context of the evidence. Currently, we only have partial evidence. Saying something very silly and saying something racist depend on the context.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I had to laugh when a UK pundit* said this morning that Donald Trump and even Putin gave a warmer tribute to Prince Phillp than Megan and Harry!

*edit: Margaret Holder, Royal Commentator.

And H&M didn't even bother to use his first name

o/

I bet they were never as happy to have social distancing protocol and masks as they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder what they'll call the baby when it's born? Will they go with a traditional English name, or a more American sounding one? ...

I reckon Diana Philippa?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

JoChervil wrote: »
    And H&M didn't even bother to use his first name

Bad form that they didn't.

I'm sure I read it would be televised, but will be a royal ceremonial funeral rather than a state funeral.

Apparently his remains are in St. James Palace and will be carried to a certain place in London (can't remember where), then transferred to a hearse and on to Windsor. The interment will obviously be private but the procession and service will be broadcast. I doubt we'll see the family in the church though, just in the procession.

BettyS wrote: »
    Context is important. I mean if we look at bare facts, the rappers that use derogatory terms to reference themselves and their peers should be cancelled. Racism is never okay. Racism is a criminal offence. Therefore, an accusation needs to be assessed in the context of the evidence. Currently, we only have partial evidence. Saying something very silly and saying something racist depend on the context.

And Harry saying so proudly “I will never reveal, who has said this” previously explained by Meghan “because it would be very damaging for that individual”. Ah, how honourable! But what about accusing 3 innocent people, if it was only a one culprit?

So yes, I care more about innocent people, who they hurt with this interview than about H&M.

JoChervil wrote: »
    And Harry saying so proudly “I will never reveal, who has said this” previously explained by Meghan “because it would be very damaging for that individual”. Ah, how honourable! But what about accusing 3 innocent people, if it was only a one culprit?

So yes, I care more about innocent people, who they hurt with this interview than about H&M.

I have seen about people getting cancelled for far less than Harry’s past remarks. I find his comments about the Pakistani military man deeply offensive. The same mob that laud him will find historical comments from somebody else’s Twitter and condemn them over them. Genuine question, what différentiates Harry from those who got cancelled?

BettyS wrote: »
    I have seen about people getting cancelled for far less than Harry’s past remarks. I find his comments about the Pakistani military man deeply offensive. The same mob that laud him will find historical comments from somebody else’s Twitter and condemn them over them. Genuine question, what différentiates Harry from those who got cancelled?

Harry's "Our little Paki friend" was apparently military banter. While "I wonder what colour any future babies might be" was apparently racism.

Harry's "Our little Paki friend" was apparently military banter. While "I wonder what colour any future babies might be" was apparently racism.

How is that example and him dressing up as a Nazi any more acceptable than that made by the unnamed source? Genuinely, I would like to hear the logic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just thinking: the whole interview was a he said she said....or, “they said, the others didn’t say!”

Advertisement