Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Didn't Meghan say the 'colour' conversation happened several times? So it could have happened at the beginning of their relationship and then resurfaced again once she was pregnant.
    I'm also surprised by the amount of people who think that it would be an acceptable conversation to have, if my son came home with a black girlfriend the colour of potential grandchildren would be the furthest thing from my mind, who thinks like that?
    Caroline Flack took her own life because of relentless trolling but it so unbelievable that Meghan might have suffered the same when she endured twice as much harassment. Oh she must be playing the 'suicide card'!!
    I don't see it as Meghan stealing Harry away from his family I see it as Harry taking his wife out of a situation that could have potentially lead to her death, what husband would not do the same in his position. At the end of the day Meghan and Archie ARE his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,525 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The net is closing in on the royals. An outdated idea that drains tax payer money.

As for Meghan and the media. Good old fashioned racism at play. Look at the main players. Notorious for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Decency? By not naming someone they've left a cloud of "who done it" over the whole family, which leads to what you see here, people speculating about who the racist is. It's actually far worse than not naming someone in my view, as anyone could be guilty according to speculation.

To be honest, who cares? The royal family do stuff like that all the time, sure they're basically only there for column inches in the likes of the Daily Mail. Why anyone takes it seriously is totally beyond me. No one benefits except the RF and the tabloids. The trashy Oprah interview is just a more Americanized version of the trashy tabloid rumour mill in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Things were not fine. Hary was complaining for years before he even met her.

No doubt she has played a massive role in his decisions, but to simply put all the blame on her and airbrush out Harry's clear dislike of the entire thing is just wrong.

Harry and William to the world always seem to of had a good relationship and banter together. That went very quickly before the wedding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

gozunda wrote: »
    Why in the name of God would anyone go on talk TV and air the families dirty laundry?

She reminds me of Ms Simpson crossed with Diana - and not in a good way

Going with what yer ones relationship with her father and siblings she has form. On him - he seems to lack any sense of self worth.

Even if she hated the inlaws with a passion - there has to be some fair wide streak of nastiness to broadcast to all and sundry that you reckon the MIL and family are all a bunch of x's. Either that or the ding of a cash register was a bigger factor than basic common sense.

Whats for sure - Harry will not be trusted by anyone in his family again and his kids most likely will not get to know their grandparents / uncles and aunts and relatives. Fairly sad tbh.

not exactly your everyday normal family in fairness...

she may have done it for her own protection and fair play to them. no one should have to feel like that. look what happened Harry's mother when the royals didnt like her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Lillyfae wrote: »
    To be honest, who cares? The royal family do stuff like that all the time, sure they're basically only there for column inches in the likes of the Daily Mail. Why anyone takes it seriously is totally beyond me. No one benefits except the RF and the tabloids. The trashy Oprah interview is just a more Americanized version of the trashy tabloid rumour mill in England.

I simply don't believe in slander. While it's not legal slander because it wasn't aimed at an individual, I still don't think it's right, regardless of who it's aimed at.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Didn't Meghan say the 'colour' conversation happened several times? So it could have happened at the beginning of their relationship and then resurfaced again once she was pregnant.
    I'm also surprised by the amount of people who think that it would be an acceptable conversation to have, if my son came home with a black girlfriend the colour of potential grandchildren would be the furthest thing from my mind, who thinks like that?
    Caroline Flack took her own life because of relentless trolling but it so unbelievable that Meghan might have suffered the same when she endured twice as much harassment. Oh she must be playing the 'suicide card'!!
    I don't see it as Meghan stealing Harry away from his family I see it as Harry taking his wife out of a situation that could have potentially lead to her death, what husband would not do the same in his position. At the end of the day Meghan and Archie ARE his family.

Its actually quite normal ,

I have family member who married a black girl from South Africa and during her pregnancy conversation was often about I wonder what shade of skin the child will have,
    If your speaking with family/people who don't have ounce of racism in them its the same as wondering what colour hair or eyes a child will have,

Infact people afraid to speak about it would be the ones with the hang up about race and skin colour ,

It can 100% be spoken about in a none racist way

I agree with you on the media part I wouldn't wish that on anyone but as a famous person who marries into the Royal Family you should know what your doing ,
    After all the Royal Family are funded by tax payers money so in that sense the British public have every right to speak about you and know what is going on to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

6 wrote: »
    The net is closing in on the royals. An outdated idea that drains tax payer money.

As for Meghan and the media. Good old fashioned racism at play. Look at the main players. Notorious for it.

They are not a drain on taxpayers money to be fair.
    They bring in serious tourism and represent the UK around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just don’t understand why she would have been told she cannot access help when she was suffering a severe mental health crisis, out of fear for how it would make the institution look. It just doesn’t ring true to me. Didn’t she decide to forgo The Queen’s “men in suits” to deliver her baby and brought in her own team of doctors? Why would this be any different? Doesn’t she have access to the NHS like any other citizen? Isn’t Harry ambassador for many mental health charities, wouldn’t he have been able to connect her with somebody? I just cannot understand how in (2019/2020?) she would have went to someone senior in the palace and said “please help me. I feel like I’m going to kill myself”, and they turned around to her and said no, you cannot get help, it will make us look bad. If that is true then it’s appalling and needs to be investigated, the person who denied her help needs to be fired.. but really?!?? I don’t understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I have family member who married a black girl from South Africa and during her pregnancy conversation was often about I wonder what shade of skin the child will have,
    If your speaking with family/people who don't have ounce of racism in them its the same as wondering what colour hair or eyes a child will have,

Infact people afraid to speak about it would be the ones with the hang up about race and skin colour ,

I agree with you on the media part I wouldn't wish that on anyone but as a famous person who marries into the Royal Family you should know what your doing ,
    After all the Royal Family are funded by tax payers money so in that sense the British public have every right to speak about you and know what is going on to a degree

Exactly its normal curiosity - I wonder if Meghans mum had said the same about the babies skin colour would this also be seen as a racist comment.

• Advertisement

Butson wrote: »
    They are not a drain on taxpayers money to be fair.
    They bring in serious tourism and represent the UK around the world.

It's not really the type of representation I'd be looking for though. At best weirdos who have no real purpose or talent except to wear nice clothes and accept flowers from small children going to hospitals to shake hands with terminally ill people? Oh, look at the slightly dim English people being represented again. At worst, a very shady family with no qualms about throwing anyone who doesn't live by their ludicrous standards to the wolves, are slightly inbred, fraternize with paedophiles and sex traffickers and accept gifts from despotic oligarchs.

I wouldn't be afraid to think about it, it just wouldn't enter my head especially when they were only just dating.

So just because 'you should have known what you're getting into' that's an ok reason to spread lies and mistruths to the point where the woman thought about taking her own life.
    Alot of times in life reality doesn't match up with expectation, no one has a crystal ball and I can only imagine how trapped one would feels when you realise the reality is so much worse than you thought. She didn't even have access to her car keys or drivers licence to go for a drive and clear her head if needed, I can only imagine how suffocating that must have felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

I just don’t understand why she would have been told she cannot access help when she was suffering a severe mental health crisis, out of fear for how it would make the institution look. It just doesn’t ring true to me. Didn’t she decide to forgo The Queen’s “men in white suits” to deliver her baby and brought in her own team of doctors? Why would this be any different? Doesn’t she have access to the NHS like any other citizen? Isn’t Harry ambassador for many mental health charities, wouldn’t he have been able to connect her with somebody? I just cannot understand how in (2019/2020?) she would have went to someone senior in the palace and said “please help me. I feel like I’m going to kill myself”, and they turned around to her and said no, you cannot get help, it will make us look bad. If that is true then it’s appalling and needs to be investigated, the person who denied her help needs to be fired.. but really?!?? I don’t understand it.

She could have gotten help from any source but that's not the point here. It is that she was not allowed to go for help because it would look bad for the Royals. She had to ask for permission to do anything before she could do it herself and she was denied permission. That's my understanding of it. Diana got no help either, so they do not look out for family and not a good trait in the Royals. Then you have Charles who would not reply to his son's phone calls, a really awful way to treat a son who was obviously desperate for help. Look how he treated Diana, his wife. A crying shame and in my opinion Charles should not be king.

Deeec wrote: »
    Exactly its normal curiosity - I wonder if Meghans mum had said the same about the babies skin colour would this also be seen as a racist comment.

Exactly , 100% she or someone in her circle asked if they think the kid will have red hair like it's Dad

It's a normal conversation if done in the correct tone of course ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Exactly , 100% she or someone in her circle asked if they think the kid will have red hair like it's Dad

Yes, we need context and reason and tone otherwise its ridiculous to try to judge the remark
    Equally we dont know why Meghan cried after Kate made a remark , maybe she was tired or hungry or just very touchy that day .,Who knows

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just don’t understand why she would have been told she cannot access help when she was suffering a severe mental health crisis, out of fear for how it would make the institution look. It just doesn’t ring true to me. Didn’t she decide to forgo The Queen’s “men in white suits” to deliver her baby and brought in her own team of doctors? Why would this be any different? Doesn’t she have access to the NHS like any other citizen? Isn’t Harry ambassador for many mental health charities, wouldn’t he have been able to connect her with somebody? I just cannot understand how in (2019/2020?) she would have went to someone senior in the palace and said “please help me. I feel like I’m going to kill myself”, and they turned around to her and said no, you cannot get help, it will make us look bad. If that is true then it’s appalling and needs to be investigated, the person who denied her help needs to be fired.. but really?!?? I don’t understand it.
    It didn't really ring true to me either, especially when you consider that when the Queen's own father had his shock succession to the throne, his wife procured a discreet therapist to overcome his severe speech impediment to enable him to do the job. All of that family are well able to engage the services of the best of healthcare from professionals who maintain patient confidentiality. So while I'm not doubting her mental health issues whatsoever, it could have been as simple as her saying "I want to hire [LA celeb therapist to help me]" and the palace saying "em, bringing in Dr Phil won't look good, we'd prefer it if you used [British therapist] so we can be assured of confidentiality."

Someone Senior in this instance would be = Queen, Philip, Charles (or their staff) she would have needed to approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes, we need context and reason and tone otherwise its ridiculous to try to judge the remark
    Equally we dont know why Meghan cried after Kate made a remark , maybe she was tired or hungry or just very touchy that day .,Who knows

It sounds like they had a disagreement and maybe both got a little defensive, Meghan cried and Kate seemed to be the bigger person and apologise. But Kate was probably upset too, but in Meghan’s mind she was the only one who cried and because Kate had the decency to apologise that means Kate was in the wrong. It’s so petulant. It could have been as simple as Kate decided to apologise in order to smooth things over before the wedding. And if it was over Meghan not wanting Charlotte to wear tights I do think the poor little girl needed an ankle sock or something. It looks silly with just the bear leg and shoe. That’s how you get blisters

But no one worried about how a red haired child would look like 'for the family' ie. their appearance in society, they DID worry how a dark skinned child would 'look', that's the difference and that's why it's a bit more sinister imo than people just excitedly discussing a new child's potential features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If there's one thing I've learned from watching a close friend of mine getting fired, it's to never use a therapist paid for by your employer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

She was targeted and villified by the media on a constant basis, I can see how that might leave a person depressed. On top of that everything internally happening.

I agree 100%, i just found her explanation of it very contrived and her insistence that it takes real courage to say you have a problem, in other words look how courageous i am, i think she repeated this three times.
    I have very good personal knowledge of depression having battled it for years and this is not how it's discussed, it's a tagline, i mean she is stating the bleeding obvious.
    So yes for me, contrived.

• Advertisement

It sounds like they had a disagreement and maybe both got a little defensive, Meghan cried and Kate seemed to be the bigger person and apologise. But Kate was probably upset too, but in Meghan’s mind she was the only one who cried and because Kate had the decency to apologise that means Kate was in the wrong. It’s so petulant. It could have been as simple as Kate decided to apologise in order to smooth things over before the wedding. And if it was over Meghan not wanting Charlotte to wear tights I do think the poor little girl needed an ankle sock or something. It looks silly with just the bear leg and shoe. That’s how you get blisters

I think the bottom line is someone or both of them were extremely petulant and had a little row. Ridiculous that it was reported on though, makes them both look extremely stupid and childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Charles firsts words when Harry was born
    "Diana went on to say that Charles's apparent "first words" after Harry was born further solidified his frustrations at not being father to a girl.
    According to her, Charles said: "Oh god, it's a boy" followed by: "And he's even got red hair."
    https://www.herfamily.ie/family/princess-diana-kept-harrys-gender-secret-prince-charles-wanted-girl-334549

He seems very likely to be person to have made the comment being concerned about the race. If thats a reaction to Harry. Harrys made show to narrow it down anyway between the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

But no one worried about how a red haired child would look like 'for the family' ie. their appearance in society, they DID worry how a dark skinned child would 'look', that's the difference and that's why it's a bit more sinister imo than people just excitedly discussing a new child's potential features.

Agree but we dont know if it was asked in a curious way or a sinister way.

The royal family accepted Meg into the family ( Meg admitted to this). In doing that they accepted the colour of the couples future children so its a non issue IMO.

There was also confusion about when this 'colour' conversation happened. Meghan said is happened during her pregnancy. Harry said it happened before they were married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I really think that Meghan and Harry were so right to do this interview. Meghan had a terrible time with the press and nobody in the Royal family helped her, just like when Diana had her troubles, nobody helped her either. I am so proud of Harry for doing what he did, i.e. took his family out of that horrible situation.

As stated in the interview they are not looking for attention now and never wanted to do the Netflix deal but because Harry's security was whipped away from him he had to do something to be able to afford to have it again.

There will always be people who want to criticize everything but I see Harry and Meghan as being perfectly honest and really good people.

Why would they name and shame the person who commented on the colour of Archie's skin. They had the decency not to name that person and all they get for that is ridicule. I applaud them for that.

Had they been treated right they would still be part of the Royal family. It was about time someone spoke up for the way the Royals think they can treat people and especially family members. They also treated Diana very badly and look what happened to her.

I really like them and hope that they live happily ever after.

I'k like to think they are the real deal but somehow I thing MM is the boss in that relationship.

Why give this interview ? All it was going to do was get the media and press going again which is what they were alway complaining about.

Harry has a lot of issues re his family but most of all his mother. He seems a lost soul and I think Ms Markle is playing a very clever game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It was hard to care, as an experiment, I decided I would keep thinking of myanmar and the rohingya refugees throughout the interview, it really have me perspective on the "suffering" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Anyone else think the Piers Morgan storm off is completely staged? ITV promotional work? Maybe I'm too cynical. I really don't think he cares one bit about Meghan or Harry or either of their back stories. I don't think he has an ounce of emotion to give that story. Would he be really be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I see her throwaway vacuous claim certainly has worked on you..

An absolute mountain out of a molehill

But she is clever. She used two cards that we all know the media and people latch to. Mental health and racism. Pathetic desperation and childish tacky immature gossiping..

It certainly has worked, though. She gets a huge audience talking about her!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They didn’t actually say anyone mentioned being worried . They simply said a question was asked about how dark the babys skin could be . We have no context for that question .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The whole thing is just ****ing messy and getting worse because I see Meghans father has weighed in with his tuppence worth in saying the question of skin colour doesn’t imply it was racially motivated. So none of the parties involved are coming out of it looking well and there is clearly two very strong camps that take(in the case of Harry and Meghan) and will take what Buckingham palace say as gospel which isn’t really going to help. The amount of misinformation on Twitter in regards to the title and other issues raised including security is baffling despite it being clarified. The issue of race is obviously the most serious issue raised but it was left a bit vague bar it being clarified who it wasn’t.

• Advertisement

One person was said to have made a comment , we where not told what the comment was ,

Advertisement